Who has been the most valuable player in 2018?

Who has been the most valuable player in 2018?

• Dayne Beams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patrick Cripps

Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Patrick Dangerfield

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lance Franklin

Votes: 27 12.3%
  • Max Gawn

Votes: 52 23.6%
  • Brodie Grundy

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • Tom Hawkins

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Shaun Higgins

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Dustin Martin

• Tom Mitchell

Votes: 27 12.3%
  • Clayton Oliver

• Alex Rance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack Riewoldt

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Lachie Whitfield

• Elliot Yeo

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other – and yes I want to kiss your nut-sack

Votes: 11 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like there hasn't been enough Nankervis in this thread.

In the game we played V Richmond the time he spent off the ground we dominated centre clearances. Without Nankervis Richmond really fall back into the pack.

The MVP? Maybe not. Gawn or Grundy probably but Nankervis is an almost impossible player for Richmond to replace.

The ones that stick out are Riewoldt, Gawn, Grundy and Hawkins to me. If you take any of that quartet out of their teams, they slip a long way from their best football.

We would hardly win a game without Tom I reckon. Doesn't make him the best player in the comp or anything, just the most structurally significant to his side. Same with the other three. I voted for Gruny fwiw
add Buddy to that list

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My initial thought was Grundy, but then that got quickly overtaken by Buddy. (And fair enough - this might be recency bias)

More than anyone else he wins games off his own boot, and is able to bail out his team when others arent performing - and has done so in 2 crucial games in the last 3 weeks that gives a Sydney team, that has been average for much of the season, another finals spot and a chance for a top 4 finish.

I don't think any other individual player has as much of an impact on the W-L record of their team. (Though clearly there are a few guys who you can make valid arguments about)

buddy

no-one has had as much impact on a sides actual win / loss ratio than Budwar

Yeah he has pretty much chucked Sydney on his back and carried them into a finals series, he's my pick too.

Gawn and Grundy both around the mark too. They are the 3 blokes from that list, that when taken out of their respective sides would have the greatest overall impact. Midfielders can be covered, Treloar is a perfect example of that. Collingwood loses Grundy and it's rucking with Cox as number 1 and who the hell knows as his backup. Enormous drop in quality.

Would go with Grundy, Gawn or Franklin. Gawn is the best ruckman in the comp. Grundy is the best player who plays in the ruck in the comp. Both teams would struggle without them. Franklin is Franklin.

Not sure you can have a Tigers player in there as they don't rely on one player, but having said that Riewoldt is critical to their success. I also think Grimes is the one defender they can't replace.

Outside this I think Kennedy has shown how important he is to WC. And while midfielders are more replaceable, and so that counts against him, I'm not sure Hawthorn would be where they are without Mitchell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like there hasn't been enough Nankervis in this thread.

In the game we played V Richmond the time he spent off the ground we dominated centre clearances. Without Nankervis Richmond really fall back into the pack.

The MVP? Maybe not. Gawn or Grundy probably but Nankervis is an almost impossible player for Richmond to replace.
That's because Buckley did something very clever in having Cox ruck against Nank for some time and then using Grundy against Grigg. Most back up rucks aren't smart enough to convincingly beat Grigg and hit the ball to dangerous spots. Grigg bumps it to them and they drop it straight down.

All that said, Richmond's midfield had a shocker at a lot of those stoppages. No body on or smart footy. Prestia was sore, Cotchin and Lambert had off days and Jack Graham was missing = no defensive pressure or body on to force cover the Pies mids.

Ruckman are mostly replaceable depending on their opposition. Soldo can cover Nankervis against probably 10 of the rucks in the comp. Won't be as good but can do the trick.

Gawn has been immense in the ruck but his real value has been how consistent his marking is especially when used as he is lately as the kick behind the play. He's having a Rance like effect that teams won't kick it long down the line because he'll win most and half a lot of the other contests. That allows Melbourne to slow teams down.

I'm still nervous about saying a ruck is MVP, especially because Grundy is better than Gawn at ground ball contests after the hit outs and neither are super skilled ball users or great goal kickers, but both of them are having huge impact at stoppages and around the ground.

The question is can a half decent ruck stop Gawn and Grundy the way a half decent tagger can stop most of the mids? I think they probably can in the right time.

So whilst Gawn and Grundy fight it out for MVP as the guys who have added the most value to their teams this year the games most frightening players remain Dusty, Franklin and probably Jack Riewoldt.

Swans are having a September holiday without Buddy. As it is they are playing for top 4 this week.

So yeah, that guy .....
Couldn't you say the same for Grundy and Gawn?

Overall - Grundy, Caddy, Sidebottom, Breust, Cunnington
Caddy has been more valuable than Gawn?

Back