Who has been the most valuable player in 2018?

Who has been the most valuable player in 2018?

• Dayne Beams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patrick Cripps

Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Patrick Dangerfield

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lance Franklin

Votes: 27 12.3%
  • Max Gawn

Votes: 52 23.6%
  • Brodie Grundy

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • Tom Hawkins

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Shaun Higgins

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Dustin Martin

• Tom Mitchell

Votes: 27 12.3%
  • Clayton Oliver

• Alex Rance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack Riewoldt

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Lachie Whitfield

• Elliot Yeo

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other – and yes I want to kiss your nut-sack

Votes: 11 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Max Gawn for me. Been phenomenal and plays a key individual role for his side. Be fascinating to see something like Melbourne vs Hawthorn with Gawn and Tom Mitchell both missing to see the relative impacts. Or vs Collingwood without Grundy, Swans without Buddy etc.

Jack Darling gets my 'was our best for a while' vote. Had a phenomenal stretch the first 10 games coinciding with us going 9-1 then did his ankle and missed 5 weeks before coming back and then got KOd on the weekend. Impossible to gauge how we'd have gone in his absence if other key players were still in, though.

I did strongly consider Gawn or Grundy but I went with Mitchell simply because I don't think they would be anywhere near where they are without him. Like if you had taken all 3 players away from their respective teams at the start of the season I think Hawks would have been hurt the most.

If Naitanui had managed a full season I might have gone him as well.

Take your pick out of Gawn, Grundy, Mitchell. I went with Grundy bc he’s one of my favourite players outside my team

Is that in no particular order?

I just think you like to be different.
No it’s not, it’s just a brain dump of players whilst I was cooking up crumbed cutlets for dinner. I think you’ll find everyone is different as we all have differing opinions.

For some reason you picked Caddy out of my list? Maybe that’s you being different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My initial thought was Grundy, but then that got quickly overtaken by Buddy. (And fair enough - this might be recency bias)

More than anyone else he wins games off his own boot, and is able to bail out his team when others arent performing - and has done so in 2 crucial games in the last 3 weeks that gives a Sydney team, that has been average for much of the season, another finals spot and a chance for a top 4 finish.

I don't think any other individual player has as much of an impact on the W-L record of their team. (Though clearly there are a few guys who you can make valid arguments about)

Went for Buddy too...it's unfair to say Sydney are a one man team at the moment...but if comparing the Swans when he runs around looking injured like he did a few weeks back to Sydneys performance when he fires.... the difference is colossal. Much more than say when Richmond lost Jack when he got knocked out or when resting Nank/Cotch recently.

No it’s not, it’s just a brain dump of players whilst I was cooking up crumbed cutlets for dinner. I think you’ll find everyone is different as we all have differing opinions.

For some reason you picked Caddy out of my list? Maybe that’s you being different.
So who are #1 and #2 in your list of MVPs this season?

Maybe do another "brain dump"? That's always a sign of a considered opinion.

Why the hell are you being such a campaigner about this? Why are you so offended about who I chose? If you don’t like it, don’t respond and seriously move on.
I'm not offended. I just think it's weird that you wandered into this thread and then apparently started naming players at random as part of a "brain dump".

I'm not offended. I just think it's weird that you wandered into this thread and then apparently started naming players at random as part of a "brain dump".
Sorry I don’t have the time to sit down at my desk and spend a good amount of time considering who might be perfect for this category, it’s BF mate, I am not writing policy for the White House.

My initial thought was Grundy, but then that got quickly overtaken by Buddy. (And fair enough - this might be recency bias)

More than anyone else he wins games off his own boot, and is able to bail out his team when others arent performing - and has done so in 2 crucial games in the last 3 weeks that gives a Sydney team, that has been average for much of the season, another finals spot and a chance for a top 4 finish.

I don't think any other individual player has as much of an impact on the W-L record of their team. (Though clearly there are a few guys who you can make valid arguments about)

I don't get this and I'd love for someone to tell me what I'm missing.

Apparently the Swans have had an average season, yet they have an 8-3 record against top 8 teams, with wins AWAY against WCE, Pies, Hawks, Cats, Dees and Giants, two of those without Buddy.

At the same time, teams like the Pies, Hawks and Dees have apparently had great seasons with equal or very similar records and an inferior W/L vs top 8 teams.

??

Back