Who is the #2 coach in the AFL behind Clarkson?

Who is the AFL's second-best coach behind Clarkson?

• Don Pyke

• Ross Lyon

• Chris Scott

• Brad Scott

• Ken Hinkley

• Damien Hardwick

• John Longmire

• Adam Simpson

• Luke Beveridge

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Was just about to say this. If you had to choose one, which Scott would you have?

Very impressed with What Hardwick has achieved (finally), but he took his sweet time about it, and (just like Clarko) ran close to the guillotine before it turned his way. Clarkson obviously cashed in heavily with the three peat, and is now 'thereabouts' with a far inferior side this year.

Chris has been very good also to be fair. It's very impressive how he has managed to rebuild Geelong whilst still playing finals the past few seasons.

Still too early on Hardwick for mine. Aside from the past 18 months he has been average. His big challenge will come on the back end of this season as coaches look to plot the Tigers downfall.

Tough to beat. Have a game style the players have bought into and give effort every week.

North are just about one of the few sides this year as a supporter you would know what you are going to get most weeks.

They have to play accountable footy, as it's not like they have a plethora of highly-skilled A-graders in their side.

It will take it's toll on them soon enough, as injuries & exhaustion set-in......Still zero chance for the 8 IMO. Though stranger things have happened.

They have to play accountable footy, as it's not like they have a plethora of highly-skilled A-graders in their side.

It will take it's toll on them soon enough, as injuries & exhaustion set-in......Still zero chance for the 8 IMO. Though stranger things have happened.

I'm not sure what the first sentence means? Every side plays 'accountable' football these days. All 22 players are required to defend, this important aspect of the game is noting to do with talent but application.

I wouldn't have them as a lock for the 8, but zero chance is pretty naive. They have more pieces then many thought at the start of the year, and they have a distinct brand that is very difficult to score against. Up forward, with Brown, Waite and Wood they have weapons.

Formidable in the sense they are hard to beat and consistent with effort and playing their brand. Respect where it's due.

I'm not sure what the first sentence means? Every side plays 'accountable' football these days. All 22 players are required to defend, this important aspect of the game is noting to do with talent but application.

I wouldn't have them as a lock for the 8, but zero chance is pretty naive. They have more pieces then many thought at the start of the year, and they have a distinct brand that is very difficult to score against. Up forward, with Brown, Waite and Wood they have weapons.

Formidable in the sense they are hard to beat and consistent with effort and playing their brand. Respect where it's due.

They play high on emotion....Getting up for 23 weeks on the back of adrenaline alone, simply isn't enough.

As for the formidable tag?.....That's earn't over the span of at least an entire season......We're only into week 7.

It seems you are getting carried away by their disposal of us 3 weeks ago.....We were shocking that day & not up for the fight....We got back into that game off a quarter of footy alone.

They play high on emotion....Getting up for 23 weeks on the back of adrenaline alone, simply isn't enough.

As for the formidable tag?.....That's earn't over the span of at least an entire season......We're only into week 7.

It seems you are getting carried away by their disposal of us 3 weeks ago.....We were shocking that day & not up for the fight....We got back into that game off a quarter of footy alone.

We will know more about North this weekend.

I'm not sure where this 'high on the emotion' statement is coming from. How do you even figure that?

A win in Sydney is a massive effort, and their game against us had less to do with our intent and more to do with how good North were. It was as good a half of footy I have seen a side play against us. Clarko shared pretty similar sentiments after the game. Watching live you could see how suffocating their zone was.

Formidable is a subjective term. Just as your comment they have zero chance to make the 8 is.

We will know more about North this weekend.

I'm not sure where this 'high on the emotion' statement is coming from. How do you even figure that?

A win in Sydney is a massive effort, and their game against us had less to do with our intent and more to do with how good North were. It was as good a half of footy I have seen a side play against us. Clarko shared pretty similar sentiments after the game. Watching live you could see how suffocating their zone was.

Formidable is a subjective term. Just as your comment they have zero chance to make the 8 is.

The Hawks of the 80's & our recent 3-peat era, were what I'd call formidable sides.....As for the rest, only time will tell.

Probably Hardwick now

Still think its RTB is close though. Freos best 22 in 2013 was nowhere near GF quality, yet they somehow got near the Hawks and beating Geelong at Kardina was ridiculously good. Saints were nowhere near Collingwood in 2010 but somehow drew, I think they win that game in extra time but who knows. 2009, they had 3 losses by a total of 21 points, blew the GF kicking 9.14.

Longmire gets fully roasted on the Swans board every few minutes so something isnt right there

That's a surprise to me. Hardwick took over a better side than what Clarkson did and it took him 8 seasons to win a final. After 7, he was on the verge of being sacked. He has obviously turned them around very well and they have a flag to show for it.

Clarkson however took the worst list in the comp to a flag within 4 years. By his 7th season he had rebuilt the list again and won a three-peat, with a number of tactical changes along the way to keep them at the top.

I feel Hardwick has a way to go to match that - perhaps at least win half as many flags first?

I don't think anyone is disputing Clarkson is the best coach in the game (and by some margin too) - heck, if Dimma has half the success Clarkson has, I'd be over the moon.

The bold bit caught my eye though - genuinely curious on why you think that and would be interested to learn your reasons?

Hawks had the following future 2008 premiership players on their list in 2005 for Clarkson's first season at the helm.
  • Sam Mitchell
  • Mark Williams
  • Michael Osborne
  • Shane Crawford
  • Chance Bateman
  • Luke Hodge
  • Rick Ladson
  • Trent Croad
  • Brad Sewell
  • Campbell Brown
  • Jarryd Roughead
  • Lance Franklin
  • Jordan Lewis
  • Robert Campbell
  • Clinton Young
By comparison, Richmond/Dimma had these players in our premiership side:
  • Riewoldt
  • Cotchin
  • Martin
  • Edwards
  • Rance
  • Astbury
  • Grimes
Obviously Clarko got to a Premiership faster than Dimma (4 years for Clarkson v 8 years for Dimma) as you pointed out so given the turnover of lists. To me though, that suggests Clarkson had the better list to begin with - or at least a better list to build a nucleus of a premiership side. Obviously some quality and shrewd additions in the following seasons like Rioli, Dew and Guerra also helped flesh it out but it seems like he had most of the cattle already (15 future premiership players on the list). Maybe it's a simplistic way of looking at it or perhaps this view doesn't show the influence of Clarkson's development and coaching of the players he inherited.

I could be wrong here but I don't recall Hawthorn's list ever being described at any point as being 'worst than Fitzroy', nor did the 2005-2008 rebuild have to contend with diluted draft pools from expansion sides entering the competition. I seem to recall Terry Wallace saying he chose Richmond over the Hawks at the time for the belief we had a better list (circa 2004) but not sure how much truth there is in that. Hawks finished 10th and 9th in 2002 and 2003 respectively with the Tigers finishing 14th and 13th in the same years.

It's obviously Chris Scott, their career rankings so far are as follows

1. Clarko
2. C. Scott
3. Longmire
4. Bevo
5. Dimma
6. Worsfold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say Hardwick (looks like he will back it up) with B. Scott second. As mentioned earlier, he took an average team to two prelims and he has absolutely head****ed everyone this season. Let's face it, we all expected North to be bottom two but here they are fighting for finals. Beveridge is also excellent and think he will get the Dogs back up the ladder next season.

Back