Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we should look at Dunstall and co. to do another review!
Like I said in my previous post it’s much cheaper to just do a pretty sham ‘Internal’ review and just sack people. Rather than pay people who would more than likely tell you to reorganise things and sack them anyway.

If the Crows would’ve done an internal review last time in 2019 instead of paying to get Pav & Dunstall in, Pyke, Campo and Burton would’ve got the arse post that review anyway.

I can’t see him giving up his cushy Fox/SEN gig, he seems well liked and he’s probably getting well paid. Why would he go back to the stress of coaching unless he gets a blank cheque (which we probably couldn’t give him anyway if we sack a head coach contracted to 2026)?
Aren’t coach payouts now limited to 6 months, regardless of contract length?

The problem this club will always have is you can’t just get rid of Nicks, there are so many positions that would need to be vacated first/announced as staggered departures for any real change to occur.

These are the dominos that would need to fall for it to actually happen;

First Mark Ricciuto after 10 bloody years would need to step down as Football Director & resign/announce departure date from the Board. I do though unfortunately envision a scene much like Charlton Heston holding on to his gun occuring…
tenor.gif

If that departure were to happen though the other Board members would then need to decide if that role is now redundant and doesn’t need replacing.

Olsen can then move on to announcing one of those more ‘phoney’ internal reviews into club practices like list management, recruitment, development ect., after this is conducted is when they’d need to announce Hamish Ogilvie is finishing up after x amount of years of service…

Justin Reid would be the next to make a judgement call on but probably would just survive for the moment as you can’t get rid of both Ogilvie & Reid at the same time but you’d hope he sees the writing on the wall and is not there for too much longer either.

A couple of weeks after the review is when they can come out and start saying those classic post-review lines like “things kept on popping up in the review regarding x” like the s**t Roo said after Sanderson’s bloodletting. They can say they couldn’t ignore the findings ect. only then Nicks could be let go with his big settlement like Pyke before him.

Burns & van Berlo can then be announced eventually as not having their contracts renewed either. Marco Bello probably touch and go to keep his job as head of development too.

The club would need to find a new Head Coach & multiple Assistant Coaches post-season and then a new National Recruitment Manager post-draft.

It just seems so unlikely all that occurs in one go even though it should, Tim Silvers has spent so much time blowing smoke up Nicks’ arse he’d be totally reluctant to make that call and John Olsen is turning 79 in June and will probably announce his own departure before he turns 80 and whether he wants to go through all that trouble before he leaves is another big question mark. He’d more than likely look to just take the easy road into the sunset given his past decision making evidence.

the club won’t get rid of Nicks this year because it highlights that the board ****ed up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The reality is, even at 0-5, Nicks isnt getting sacked. The board stuffed up, but knowing the Crows and the personalities on that board they will not admit it and will continue on. Ultimately I think we win 3 games for the year and finish bottom 2. We have a now broken forward line, no mids, and a backline held together by silly string. We have also witnessed a regression in every single player on the list from last year, with the one exception being Michaelanny.

As for a new coach, like attracting star players, anyone good in Melbourne isnt moving to Adelaide. They just arent. So we will always have access to only also ran coaches and assistants. If we are honest, the only real option is Josh Carr..at least he is in the city, and has no history at all with the club (apart from the Ramsgate).

Honestly, I believe both SA clubs are also destined to be mediocre…the way the AFL is set up - with the multitude of clubs in one state, along with the talent but coaching and playing wise, makes your chances of winning from outside Victoria practically non-existant

Lets
I’m going over for the Carlton game and assuming Melbourne defeat us this week, I hope Carlton destroy us by 10+ goals.

The club at that point would have no option than to fire the coach.
As if they are going to give him an extension and sack him two weeks after.

That would be the literal definition of incompetence. The AFL would block it anyway, given they own us.

Here's a few I've watched from a Geelong insiders perspective.

Left field option but I think Simon Lloyd would be an outstanding coach. High calibre guy with the strongest credentials possible without having been a senior coach previously. Currently GM of football at the Cats but has an impressive coaching and high performance CV. Simon has been involved with four AFL clubs so he might be gettable.

Next choice should be Rahilly. How he presented himself during his time with Adelaide was a great credit to him. He might want to return for a senior coaching role.

Third choice Cory Enright. I don't know Corey as well but when Geelong cleaned out their entire assistants group at the end of 2021, (note the cats won the flag the next year) Corey had offers and decided one St Kilda as one of their assistants.

I think all three would travel to Adelaide with the enough incentive.

He absolutely despises Adelaide after Taliagate in 2015.

Of course in true all fashion, in 2016 the dogs then received the highest free kick ratio in the history of the game and a rigged grand final day which settled him back in his box and stopped him taking it beyond afl house.

I’ve read it, and it’s pretty clear we were as guilty as sin. Dogs right to be pissed off

1. Chris Scott; maybe he needs a change
2. Buckley. Better the second time
3. Bevo. See Scott, Chris

Here's two obvious assistant coach candidates that would strengthen our team with experience outside the Crows

Troy Chaplin, current backline coach at Melbourne. Their defense is highly functional and he spent many years playing at Port Adelaide

Jordan Russell, an SA born lad with playing and coaching experience in Victoria. Development coach at the Bulldogs in 2016 and current Carlton forward line coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve read it, and it’s pretty clear we were as guilty as sin. Dogs right to be pissed off

Yep
That afl actually protected us.
Then rigged the flag to shut them up.

ADELAIDE’S 2024 COACHING STRUCTURE
Matthew Nicks – Senior Coach

Scott Burns – Forwards and Senior Assistant Coach

Nathan van Berlo – Midfield Coach

Jack Hombsch – Backs Coach

Michael Godden – SANFL and Coach Development

Marco Bello – Head of Development

Matthew Wright – Development Coach

Chelsea Randall – Development Coach

Andrew McPherson – Development Coach

We also added Sam Baulderstone in as a part-time ruck coach too, but I'm not sure if he does game days.
Oooof. That's a mediocre list.

Why didnt he then? He could have taken an assistants role and maybe worked his way back to senior coaching. Instead he took the easy path of doing media instead. Doesn't look like a guy who wants a challenge to me.
Why the hell would he want to be someone's assistant?

He would get offered every open head coaching job. He's only going to take one where he has a chance to succeed.

Just butting it.

You guys should be all over Hayden Skipworth?

Would take him at Port in a minute.
This is probably the best suggestion so far.

Why the hell would he want to be someone's assistant?
Because he hasn't achieved anything as a coach and was a proven failure over a long stretch at Collingwood. Prizes aren't handed out for people who nearly won a flag, especially when they coach a rich team like the Pies who rarely have to leave their home ground.

I'm so sick of people conflating his reputation as a player with his coaching record. If he had been a journeyman type, his name would never come up in these discussions.

He would get offered every open head coaching job. He's only going to take one where he has a chance to succeed.
Well doesn't this just scream "guy who wants a challenge".

Whilst I'm not a big fan of Bevo, at least he's got enough dog in him to make the changes he wants to live and die by.

Buckley not the answer.
Simpson I could see working.

Chris Scott would be great, hard to get though. Would only happen if he thought Geelong needed a rebuild soonish and didn’t want to be part of the trough.

Dean Cox - if we could prise him out of the Sydney set up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back