Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

By the time pay out Nix, we won't be able to afford anyone decent, so it'll be van Berlo. Will have been a thorough search though, no stone left unturned.
Marty Mattner as coach, Rutten defensive coach, Tex (retired) as offensive coach. Keep Burgess as fitness coach (who will probably be paid more than those three put together). Tell Godden to GTFO too while we're at it.

Don't want any Neil disciples at the club. If Tex wants to coach, he needs to go elsewhere.
An apprenticeship somewhere else would be nice for Tex. Rutten did that already at Richmond (does the name Rance ring a bell?)

Marty is an inventive coach (Clarkson-like) and proven already he's way too good for the SANFL - as much as I would hate to lose him as a Sturt supporter, he should be in the AFL system somewhere. Too good and challenging for Nicks (which I suspect why he was the first to be shown the door during the Covid-crisis coaching cull). Proven already with Sturt he can develop young talent too, which Nicks and Godden have both failed to do. I don't think he exactly got on a great deal with Neil either too for that mattter.

Last edited:
What I really dont understand, who the f**k was going ti poach Nicks from us if we didnt resign him till the end of the year? Tasmania. :drunk:
Yeah... join the queue. The best competition I can think of is a wet dream from Nicks imagination.

Buckley has popped up in my thoughts as well but my biggest reservation of recent times is that he was a fairly defensive coach and Collingwood seemed to play better when they had no option other than to take the handbrake off and go for it. That said, Voss has shown coaches can evolve and come back better second time around.
Beveridge is the anti-Nicks and is too willing to move the magnets.
Simpson I find it hard to judge given the state of West Coast in recent times.

As a Pom I can't confess to having the same depth of understanding but my word the stonewalling from Cornes on 5AA was nauseating. It was Comical Ali stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the cost of paying out the great Matthew Nicks would have to be peanuts anyway?

Surely the cost of paying out the great Matthew Nicks would have to be peanuts anyway?
I'm sure our budgeting would have been based on finals 2024 and a continuing upward trend, paid accordingly

I’d take Simpson.

I think he wouldn’t be pushed around with selections, he has a hard edge on the field, he will clean out the assistants, he can coach on match day, he understands the two team state / non-vic thing, he has the right type of experience.

If we went with VB I’ll dead set switch to port.
I think we all know how this plays out if Nick's gets punted.

Burns gets the interim role, a nationwide search amazingly finds he is actually the best option and is appointed at seasons end, we get some ex players to be assistant coaches.

Probably bring Ben Hart back as senior assistant

Burns gets the interim role, a nationwide search amazingly finds he is actually the best option and is appointed at seasons end, we get some ex players to be assistant coaches.

🤢

Unless we see a big dead cat bounce, I doubt we’d hire Burns

But stranger things have definitely happened at this club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back