Who will defend this government?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been interesting to see that few who tread these boards are actually willing to defend this government and it's policies. For so long we heard how terrible the Labor government was, that they were going to somehow destroy this country and that upon returning a Coalition government Australia would be returned to the land of milk and honey. Yet through this time there were always plenty willing to defend the ALP and it's policies, albeit at times the implementation was harder to defend. Where are those willing to defend the policies of the current government? It seems to me that the refrain all governments are s**t is now being used by those who so willingly and gleefully sunk the boot into the last government rather than defend the party whose case they so vocally argued for an opposition.

Last edited:

It's been interesting to see that few who tread these boards are actually willing to defend this government and it's policies. For so long we heard how terrible the Labor government was, that they were going to somehow destroy this country and that upon returning a Coalition government Australia would be returned to the land of milk and honey. Yet through this time there were always plenty willing to defend the ALP and it's policies, albeit at times the implementation was harder to defend. Where are those willing to defend the policies of the current government? It seems to me that the refrain all governments are s**t is now being used by those who so willingly and gleefully sunk the boot into the last government rather than defend the party whose case they so vocally argued for an opposition.
It is incredible that groups and people against the refugee policy decisions for example are willing to support a policy put forward by Labor/Greens that led to mass deaths on the seas over the current ones that prevent such inhumane treatment.

Gerard Henderson tired to do so on Insiders this morning. I was really surprised that he gave so much credit to Gillard for all the polices she implemented, although he did clarify it by saying it was because of the deals she did with the independents and the Greens. Hint, Tony.

So your criticism is that they aren't blindly supporting a party?

The fact that there were people defending Rudd and Gillard at their worst (even now) isn't actually a good thing. It simply makes them a partisan stooge.

It may well be a case of choosing the lesser of two evils rather then endorsement of one.

For so long we heard how terrible the Labor government was, that they were going to somehow destroy this country

Yes, many here thought that. They were shithouse, the worst govt since Whitlam and maybe in time, the current lot.

that upon returning a Coalition government Australia would be returned to the land of milk and honey.

Who here claimed that? The Rudd-Gillard-Combet?-Rudd years were marked by very few posts actually supporting or praising the then Opposition or its policies.

And, in any event, it's not necessarily a binary thing: If I think the ALP are s**t it doesn't mean I think the Libs are any good, and vice versa.

I'd invite you to defend his policies, why is no dole for under thirties a good thing for example? This is not about the previous government.

Probably helped if you asked the right question. It's not actually no dole for under 30s but no dole for under 30s who have never worked.

As for whether I think it's a good idea. I can see the reasoning behind but as I have touched on before we wouldn't need changes like this if we scrapped Abbott's PPL, something I have repeatedly opposed since before the election.

Not sure if Jane counts but she does an admirable job of flying the Libs banner, where is Tassy & the rest of the coalition apologists have they all retreated into hibernation or something?
I imagine it's like someone who has fallen for an internet scam.
It's probably embarrassing for them now they and everyone else realises they'd been conned.
Even more embarrassing when lots of people warned them that they were being bullshitted to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gerard Henderson tired to do so on Insiders this morning. I was really surprised that he gave so much credit to Gillard for all the polices she implemented, although he did clarify it by saying it was because of the deals she did with the independents and the Greens. Hint, Tony.

Is he the one that looks like gollum? If he is then he is so biased towards the Coalition I am surprised they allow him on the show as it is pointless having him there for a serious debate.

Is he the one that looks like gollum? If he is then he is so biased towards the Coalition I am surprised they allow him on the show as it is pointless having him there for a serious debate.
ABC seems to over compensate, particularly on this show. They seem to feel that they need 2 quality journalists 'balanced' by a right wing propagandist. Even with this 'balance', moronic wingnuts still accuse them of a left wing bias, because to them, quality honest balanced journalism is left wing journalism. Honest reporting and quality journalism can only be damaging to the Abbott government.

ABC seems to over compensate, particularly on this show. They seem to feel that they need 2 quality journalists 'balanced' by a right wing propagandist. Even with this 'balance', moronic wingnuts still accuse them of a left wing bias, because to them, quality honest balanced journalism is left wing journalism. Honest reporting and quality journalism can only be damaging to the Abbott government.

The two really bad ones are the guy we were talking about and also the older woman with the almost shoulder length black hair. The head of news.com.au isn't great either but he is a lot more reasonable than the other two.

The two really bad ones are the guy we were talking about and also the older woman with the almost shoulder length black hair. The head of news.com.au isn't great either but he is a lot more reasonable than the other two.
They used to have Andrew Bolt on. But other journalists and commentators used to be flooded with abusive hate mail and even threats by his supporters, when they questioned anything he said.

Right wing freaks can't handle any dissent or challenge to their twisted, ****ed up world view

They used to have Andrew Bolt on. But other journalists and commentators used to be flooded with abusive hate mail and even threats by his supporters, when they questioned anything he said.

Right wing freaks can't handle any dissent or challenge to their twisted, ****** up world view
Neither can left loony losers. Hence why you have things like these happen

Neither can left loony losers.
Right wing and left wing freaks are just different sides of the same coin. In common they have a black and white view of the world, a one size fits all approach, a hatred of mainstream science and enthusiastically embrace nut job conspiracy theories.

Will you defend this far right wacko government mottrain?

Right wing and left wing freaks are just different sides of the same coin. In common they have a black and white view of the world, a one size fits all approach, a hatred of mainstream science and enthusiastically embrace nut job conspiracy theories.

Will you defend this far right wacko government mottrain?
Not a far right government Grin by any stretch.

Not a far right government Grin by any stretch.

Correct. We have a Westminster styled parliamentary democracy, we live in a pluralistic society. We dont really suffer the extremes of the political spectrum that other parts of the world do & have done. At least that part of the spectrum that perhaps ranges from communism to facism. Thankfully we dont have that.

I think many of us see the current lot have a political leaning that we would call 'far right'. Even thats not so far from where this country has been before.
I do get shirty over this lots divisive approach. They've been in Government for 12 months. I remember Abbott et a saying a lot of things before the election, & doing the opposite after the election. Why lie to us. Is he so gutless that he couldnt tell the truth as his platform for election?

Abbott talked about the 'adults' taking charge. All I see are white middle aged men who have some 1950's view of the country. They seem to hate the young, the old & those who are not like them.
I fear & despise their nasty religious undertone. I hate the divisiveness they cause. They call us to 'team Australia' But what they mean is a call to a narrow minded view of us & our country.

I hope the Australian view of being fair & considered will hold the day.

Its sad really. This country is not in any kind of crisis. Yes We do need to sort our finances & plan for the future. But that should include all of us, nor just kicking the poor or those who suffered. I like to think we are better than that.

Yeah they are. Unless of course you're a far right whack job yourself. Then they'd seem OK I spose.

Do they seem OK to you mottrain?
Rofl. You must be a left loony if you think that to be true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back