Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the strongest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 20 4.2%
  • Essendon 1993

• Carlton 1995

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Adelaide 97-98

• Essendon 2000

Votes: 38 7.9%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 160 33.4%
  • Port 2004

• Sydney 2005

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • West Coast 2006

• Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 90 18.8%
  • Hawthorn 2008

• Collingwood 2010

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Sydney 2012

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 89 18.6%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Richmond 2017-2019

Votes: 48 10.0%
  • West Coast 2018

Votes: 3 0.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dons were unbeatable and probably should have snagged at least one more in that era. Any other coach than Sheedy and they would have.
overall as a team they underachieved.
certainly lose points when comparing them to the dynasty teams.

But as a single premiership side, they were the most unbeatable favourites i can remember in my time watching footy.

Gotta love composite teams this ones a bit unbalances cos the 3-4 premiership heros are excluded

Fb Gilham Frawley Guerra(2)
Hb Suckling(2) Croad Ladson
C Bateman Crawford Young
Hf Osborne Franklin(2) Schenmakers
Ff Williams McEvoy(2) Brown
Fol. Campbell Sewell(2) Duryea(2)

Int. Renouf Bailey Simpkin Spangher Ellis

Last edited:

I love these opinionated lists so here’s mine;

1) Essendon 2000
2) Geelong 2008 (yes I know they lost but that team was their best)
3) Brisbane 2002
4) West Coast 1994
5) Geelong 2009
6) Brisbane 2003
7) Geelong 2007
8) Hawthorn 2013
9) Carlton 1995
10) Collingwood 2010

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still think that 2014 grand final is the best game of footy a grand finalist has played in the modern era.

Unlike 2007, 2016 and 2019 the opposition actually turned up but then the hawks put on a absolute clinic.

As to the best side that's harder because you have teams that are unstoppable for a year or a final series but dont turn that into a dynisity. I think it's two discussions, the best team and the best era with every chance they end up different.

I imagine the 5 votes for Richmond are all Richmond fans. No one thinks they are really in this debate.
Hate to say but totally agree :'( I mean..it depends on how you look at it but have we really even won a final since like 2001? Its hard to tell these days :drunk:

The Lions side was the pinnacle of AFL football for me, back when the sport was as close to a perfect balance of toughness and skills.. every single bloke in that side was either a man mountain or extremely talented- it was hard to not appreciate how much they used to bully their opposition physically and mentally

Poort beat Geelong only a few weeks before that GF and in Geelong too. The result was no certainty going in to the game. The margin simply revealed Poort's character under pressure.

port just beat geelong , geelong probably due for a loss

they had everyones measure imo

port were ordinary

If you didn't vote for Brisbane in this vote you have rocks in your head. Won 3 Grand Finals in a row against Melbourne clubs at the MCG and completely controlled the competition aside from Port for those years. Hawthorn are a close second but the 3 they won were against interstate competition. Geelong were great but a 5 year collection of their wins.

I’ve said this before - the ACHIEVEMENT of winning three in a row is greater than winning 3 in 5 years, but in a competition designed to be as even as this one is, being the best side across 5 years is still worthy of putting us in the conversation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lions side was the pinnacle of AFL football for me, back when the sport was as close to a perfect balance of toughness and skills.. every single bloke in that side was either a man mountain or extremely talented- it was hard to not appreciate how much they used to bully their opposition physically and mentally
This, the Lions would physically monster any other side.

Before that I had been in awe of 95 blues

Harley Scarlett Milburn
Taylor Egan Enright
Ablett Bartel Selwood
Chapman Hawkins Johnson
Podsiadly Mooney Stokes
Ottens Corey Bartel

Mackie Kelly Ling Duncan

Stokes and Podsiadly the only two who were never AA aside from Duncan, who has been in the squad if I’m not mistaken. That’s as good as any composite squad from any of the other sides IMO

Harley Scarlett Milburn
Taylor Egan Enright
Ablett Bartel Selwood
Chapman Hawkins Johnson
Podsiadly Mooney Stokes
Ottens Corey Bartel

Mackie Kelly Ling Duncan

Stokes and Podsiadly the only two who were never AA aside from Duncan, who has been in the squad if I’m not mistaken. That’s as good as any composite squad from any of the other sides IMO

Just realised I’d named Bartel twice. Chuck Kelly in the starting side and whack a other AA ruckman in Stephen King on the bench

Still think that 2014 grand final is the best game of footy a grand finalist has played in the modern era.

Unlike 2007, 2016 and 2019 the opposition actually turned up but then the hawks put on a absolute clinic.

As to the best side that's harder because you have teams that are unstoppable for a year or a final series but dont turn that into a dynisity. I think it's two discussions, the best team and the best era with every chance they end up different.
Yawn

Hawthorn

Brissy Lions without a shadow of doubt; beating Vic teams at the G makes for much more validity. Football's invincibles
2004 was their last crack and they might of just spent their last hoorah in the unwarranted prelim travel (on a Sat night..) - even the AFL were tiresome of their domination. Hell, I was!

Also note that their premiership team remained very much the same through the dynasty, as it was when they finished bottom in the late 90s

I’ve said this before - the ACHIEVEMENT of winning three in a row is greater than winning 3 in 5 years, but in a competition designed to be as even as this one is, being the best side across 5 years is still worthy of putting us in the conversation
Cats dynasty lasted 5 years whereas a 3 peat is 3. Hmm interesting debate but I agree 3 peat back it up.

Back