Who's the best Forward - Buddy or Riewoldt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Nasty

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2006
Gippsland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cats VFL
Obviously Buddy didn't have as good a season as last year, but he did kick only 1 or 2 less goals than Riewoldt in a team that finished 9th. He also gets a tough time from the umpires & I reckon he would have kicked nearly 100 goals again this season if he got a little more protection from the umpires like Riewoldt does. Don't get me wrong I reckon Riewoldt's a great player, but Franklin is still the best forward in my opinion. Thoughts???

Based on top form, I've seen Buddy annihilate Adelaide's amazing defence (elimination final 07) singlehandedly with 7 goals.

Buddy has scraped together 3 consecutive seasons of 60+ goals now (63 in 07, 103 in 08 and 67 this year) and like OP said, this year was a shocker by his standards.

A bad season that results in 60+ goals? Gonna have to go with Franklin.

It depends what you are after.

Yes Franklin is a game breaker and can kick 7-8 goals in a game. He predominantly plays FF where as Reiwoldt is a true CHF so Goals kicked isnt the best comparison for these two, Reiwoldt is a better grab and works alot harder, Franklin and Reiwoldt are both on the poorer side with their kicking but buddy can kick the miracle goal where Roo gives you almost a guaranteed 10 marks, 2 goals and plenty of crashed packs.

Riewoldt for me, i reckon a better comparison is Franklin vs Fevola and Brown vs Reiwoldt.

Buddy's best is far better than Riewoldt. Franklin alone can deconstruct any team's defence by himself. Not only that, he's a much better kick than Riewoldt (even though Buddy misses on occasions) and people forget that Buddy actually can move up the ground and help out.

Based on top form, I've seen Buddy annihilate Adelaide's amazing defence (elimination final 07) singlehandedly with 7 goals.

Buddy has scraped together 3 consecutive seasons of 60+ goals now (63 in 07, 103 in 08 and 67 this year) and like OP said, this year was a shocker by his standards.

A bad season that results in 60+ goals? Gonna have to go with Franklin.

To be fair, Massie was left on him all day.

Id take John COleman heard he kicked 500 something goals in about 90 games.

"In only 98 matches Coleman amassed a total of 537 career goals: he kicked 14 goals in a match on one occasion, 13 goals twice, 12 goals once, 11 goals twice, 10 goals six times, 9 goals 3 times, and 8 goals five times."

Not hard to see why they named a medal after him. :thumbsu:

I'd take Rooy, both players are freaks you can build a team around, but Riewoldt's leadership adds that something extra.

Riewoldt is a great player, but to go down as one of the great CHFs he'll need to pick up the pace with respect to goal kicking. Carey used to win games off his own boot regularly by kicking 6, 7 or even 8 goals. Even Brown and Tredrea have outperformed Riewoldt comfortably in this area.

Buddy at his best can muster 15 shots at goal, which is staggering in today's football. In fact he only kicked one less goal than Riewoldt this year, yet they are percieved to have had contrasting fortunes.... go figure. I know Riewoldt brings a lot more than just goal kicking, but it doesn't account for what Buddy can put on the scoreboard.

Riewoldt is a great player, but to go down as one of the great CHFs he'll need to pick up the pace with respect to goal kicking. Carey used to win games off his own boot regularly by kicking 6, 7 or even 8 goals. Even Brown and Tredrea have outperformed Riewoldt comfortably in this area.

Buddy at his best can muster 15 shots at goal, which is staggering in today's football. In fact he only kicked one less goal than Riewoldt this year, yet they are percieved to have had contrasting fortunes.... go figure. I know Riewoldt brings a lot more than just goal kicking, but it doesn't account for what Buddy can put on the scoreboard.

Yup :thumbsu:

Both cover massive amounts of territory - Reiwoldt as a lead-up CHF, pushing up to the wings; and Franklin playing as a wing/onballer.

Franklin obviously better once the ball hits the deck - though both now show commitment on the chase, Franklin tends to stick a lot more tackles (gets penalised more too...but that's an umpire interpretation usually).

Franklin probably a better shot for goal - certainly on the run, or distance/angles. Reiwoldt probably better on the 'gimme' shots (though neither are crash hot).

Reiwoldt clearly has the stronger hands - an amazing one-on-one contested mark. Franklin tends to rely more on body strength - winning the contest before it actually occurs.

Reiwoldt is the 'smarter' player, in that he appears to know when, where and how to lead in order to create space for himself or others....Franklin can be "controlled" more easily - as he runs to space, more than trying to create his own.

For all his height, Franklin is a lead-mark, or stand-wrestle mark. In a pack situation, his lack of leap is shown up.

Neither player gets much help from umpires, both suffering from constant arm-chops or blocks.

Both players have a very good support act (Kosi/Rough) to take the heat off them.

Both players look better the further away from goal they get, as their athletic attributes (run/stamina/speed) comes to the fore.

Riewoldt is more consistent than Frankin - however Franklin's consistently kicks the 2-3 goals a game, it's just the big bags which are becoming less prominent.

Franklin probably a little bit more versatile, but as a pure key forward, Reiwoldt has him covered.

If you asked which was the better key forward, I'd have chosen Reiwoldt, but as a forward only, and using 'in-form' I don't think there's any argument that Buddy's best is better than Reiwoldt's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still have nightmares of a young Riewoldt booting 9 against the Dees a few years back. If the Saints played him close to goal every goal it would be a waste, but he'd bag a lot more goals. Buddy is a freak but Riewoldt is the better player.

Buddy's best is better and his best is harder to stop than Riewoldt's best imo, but as has been said, Riewoldt is gonna give you something every single week and work his tail off every single week, whereas Buddy can be a bit lazy imo and isn't anywhere near as consistent. And the consistent output he gives are dominant performances.

If i had to pick one to be in my team, i think i'd have to go Riewoldt right now. Brilliant season. Next year i expect the Hawks to be up there challenging and in turn Buddy should have another ripper year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back