Society/Culture Why do less intelligent people gravitate to conservative/right wing ideology.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Daily Mail article reports upon a study by Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario, Canada. (another Canadian Academic Psychologist but without a youtube presence). He looked at data from 2 UK studies testing child development. The subjects were
(a) 4,267 boys and 4,537 girls born in 1958;
(b) 3,412 boys and 3,658 girls born in 1970.

The tests were of
(c) verbal and non verbal intelligence; and
(d) cognitive abilities (number recall, shape-drawing tasks, defining words and identifying patterns and similarities among words).

In both surveys, 23 years later, the same groups were asked to answer a series of questions about traditions, authority and attitudes toward other races. Hodson then postulated a definition of conservatism which is undefined but looks to be based upon attitudes towards Authority and other races and concluded that low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservtive ideologies.

I’d very cautious about accepting the conclusions drawn by Grin and his gaggle of applauders from the article helpfully posted by Mofra
So would I.

Here's a meta-analysis that's far more wide ranging.

There is a significant body of work on the subject. Assuming the entire concept is based off a single study is folly.

Housos are a very easy voting bloc to manipulate. All you have to do is support their entitlement to the dole and promise a future increase in their dole payments and they'll gladly vote for you.

Housos are a very easy voting bloc to manipulate. All you have to do is support their entitlement to the dole and promise a future increase in their dole payments and they'll gladly vote for you.

Not as easy to manipulate as farmers.
Don't need to promise farmers anything.
Root around, get drunk before Question Time, pay yourself $600k to write a report and they'll gladly vote for you.

Not as easy to manipulate as farmers.
Don't need to promise farmers anything.
Root around, get drunk before Question Time, pay yourself $600k to write a report and they'll gladly vote for you.

You may not have to promise anything today. However, they'll be beating down the door for handouts when their crops have failed on account of Australia's unique climate and farmers growing crops that aren't designed for the Australian environment.

Why do less intelligent people gravitate to conservative/right wing ideology?

The same reason they tend to gravitate to multi-level marketing. They are gullible.

right wing politics isn't real.

Left wing politics comes directly from unions and community groups. Its pretty real. Right wing politics is an invention of the oligarchy as a bulwark against that. There are currently 139 billionaires in Australia today. Not much of a voting bloc. Keith Murdoch and others back in the day helped create the Liberal party and the IPA. This small bloc of people now spend 100s of millions to make many billions. And they need hucksters like journos and talking heads to rope in the suckers. And eventually they create enough ppl behind them to make an opposition to the natural body politic.

The suckers that support it often vote against their own best interests. You have to be dumb to do that.

EXACTLY the sort of thing I've been ranting about. They really don't have a fricking clue about who's doing what to them. I bet this woman still doesn't understand that the ACA that helped her ass is the Obamacare that screamed bloody murder about it having death committees.
She's from Iowa so I guess a giant sentient corn stalk ate her face. (nod to Gabriel's hogweed) :grinv1:

Why do less intelligent people gravitate to conservative/right wing ideology?

The same reason they tend to gravitate to multi-level marketing. They are gullible.

right wing politics isn't real.

Left wing politics comes directly from unions and community groups. Its pretty real. Right wing politics is an invention of the oligarchy as a bulwark against that. There are currently 139 billionaires in Australia today. Not much of a voting bloc. Keith Murdoch and others back in the day helped create the Liberal party and the IPA. This small bloc of people now spend 100s of millions to make many billions. And they need hucksters like journos and talking heads to rope in the suckers. And eventually they create enough ppl behind them to make an opposition to the natural body politic.

The suckers that support it often vote against their own best interests. You have to be dumb to do that.

I had to go through this realisation as a teenager. I grew up conservative, with conservative family and surrounded by conservative politics.

Simply put - it's all bullshit. It's an entire political ideology devoted to conserving ego. There's a simple test you can do to see if the right is going to label an issue woke/communist:
"Would this topic make your dad uncomfortable?"

If the answer is yes - bang! It's woke bullcrap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's ironic that conservatives' ruthless self centredness is used to trick the poor dumb campaigners into voting against their own interests.

I wonder if empathy for those you don't know takes a level of intelligence well beyond that of your average conservative/right wing idiot.
I spent a minute scrolling through your latest activity on bf, and didn't see you give any likes to the Essendon AFLW team despite our recent success!

I don't see any problem with those pics. Those people might have a black great grandparent and identify as black.
I know this is tongue in cheek, but I agree with you. We rarely know people's ancestry and it isn't always visible in someone's skin colour. It's bad when the likes of Pauline Hanson decide that someone can't be a "real Aboriginal" if they don't look dark enough for them. Colourism is still a thing across the political spectrum.

I spent a minute scrolling through your latest activity on bf, and didn't see you give any likes to the Essendon AFLW team despite our recent success!
You poor Wingnuts really shouldn't attempt humour. Didn't Alexander Downer teach you that years ago?

I know this is tongue in cheek, but I agree with you. We rarely know people's ancestry and it isn't always visible in someone's skin colour. It's bad when the likes of Pauline Hanson decide that someone can't be a "real Aboriginal" if they don't look dark enough for them. Colourism is still a thing across the political spectrum.
Yes, that's true.

Group of elites dare say what another imaginary group of elites won't

Came across this youtube video and immediately thought about this thread. However to be fair this can be applied to so many social and religious groups. Not just the far right. It probably also explains how propergander works.

Sounds like talking with the MAGA cult is a waste of time then. The only way to beat them is for religious fundamentalism to die away in the US.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Why do less intelligent people gravitate to conservative/right wing ideology.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back