Society/Culture Why do less intelligent people gravitate towards fringe extremist views?

Remove this Banner Ad

The definition of fringe and extremist is too broad for this to be a worthwhile debate. Plenty that was once considered fringe and extremist is now considered consensus and vice versa. This fact alone makes this discussion illogical. the topic needs to be about a more specific set of views.
I see the definition moving on a shifting continuum.

There's a lot of 2023 progressives that will be conservatives in 2063 while maintaining their current social views. You could start a thread on robot/human marriages to gauge who will fall behind.

I see the definition moving on a shifting continuum.

There's a lot of 2023 progressives that will be conservatives in 2063 while maintaining their current social views. You could start a thread on robot/human marriages to gauge who will fall behind.
Well yes but current woke views were also seen as racist and conservative back in 1990. The current woke views are a blip that will eventually be reversed just like the public support for Marxist views regarding workers ownership of production were eventually reversed.

Some of the most intelligent ideas were considered extremely extremist when they were made. I.e. the world isn't flat.

Well yes but current woke views were also seen as racist and conservative back in 1990. The current woke views are a blip that will eventually be reversed just like the public support for Marxist views regarding workers ownership of production were eventually reversed.

The anti-woke mindset is based in white supremacy. It's surprising that so many people just parrot along with it.

Well yes but current woke views were also seen as racist and conservative back in 1990.
'Woke' started in black America. 'Stay woke' as a common saying i.e. remain aware of racial injustice and inequalities.

I'd be interested to hear how you summise that the origins are racist and conservative.

'Woke' started in black America. 'Stay woke' as a common saying i.e. remain aware of racial injustice and inequalities.

I'd be interested to hear how you summise that the origins are racist and conservative.
Im not refering to the ideas between the origins of the term though. Im referring to many of the ideas being put foward now. We can call them woke like many do or something else. It really doesnt matter what its called. Its just a label. But its the ideas that exist among many who call themselves progressives today including many on this board that Im referring to. The label is irrelevant.

in any case this is off the topic of this thread. Ive already gone through it multiple times in the woke thread.

unless you think darwin and galileo werent intelligent and it was the less intelligent who gravitated to their views when they were extremist then this thread topic is 100 percent proven false and we should end thread.

Off the top of my head, a "current woke view" that would be considered racist in 90s would be organisations such as BLM demanding a return to forms of racial segregation. Black only areas on college campuses, entrance to uni and employment based on race, that sorta thing. Seeds is right. Surely unis are places for people to come together and experience diversity!

Let me know if you'd like other examples. I'm here to help m8.

I'm here to help m8.
Staring I See You GIF by QuikTrip

Off the top of my head, a "current woke view" that would be considered racist in 90s would be organisations such as BLM demanding a return to forms of racial segregation.
Does that exist?
'Positive discrimination' stretches back further if you consider Indigenous American university placements.

Very, very disingenuous to lump it in with the 'racial segregation' that formed the backbone of conservative ideology for much of the 20th century.

Sorry boss I'll reel it in. I'm sad that I got banned from the Trump thread though for reading a bible verse IIRC :(
Does that exist?
'Positive discrimination' stretches back further if you consider Indigenous American university placements.

Very, very disingenuous to lump it in with the 'racial segregation' that formed the backbone of conservative ideology for much of the 20th century.
Giving a leg up to disadvantaged groups is one thing. Physically segregating people based on race at college facilities (or memorial day events, as one nuffy professor was demanding IIRC) is surely not something that MLK style progressives would be thrilled about. I realise he died in the 60s and we're talking about the 90s, but his brand of activism did not die with him. A uniter rather than a divider mate.

I'm surprised anyone would be taking BLM 'policies' seriously. I thought they got discredited rather quckly, except by those segments who turned them into the bogieman with the All-Conquering Antifa.
The Swamp is a real monster, and the right did well until people realized they weren't attacking the swamp. Woke is a scary phantasm of the aggrieved, another bogieman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok peeps, the rules.

Only discuss the why, coz the whether or not is not up for debate. No ifs buts or maybes - the less intelligent gravitate towards fringe extremism.

If you debate that less intelligent people do not gravitate towards the fringes I'll report you to the mods.

Anyway here's a similar thread, apparently you're welcome to contribute but most not question the whether, only discuss the why.

This is a 'why', extremism at both ends influence those who share similar views and are arguably less intelligent (because they're easily influenced as a result of narrow mindedness).

Best avoid twitter (and fb, youtube etc.) if you seek reality.
Why ?
This, there are those types who do not see a need, to gather information about something they read or hear or see or have an affinity with the thought pattern.
But never get enough details, never read deeply enough never look at either side of an argument to judge themselves, yes judge themselves, because deep thinking about issues is always about yourself and what kind of value you have about others, or issues and perhaps compassion, but never indulge in investigation of all ?

Extremists may also not be capable of compassion. Or they have tunnel vision, blindness.

For me its like extremists in the climate change argument, the science is disputed, and many mis-truths are put about and statistics that aren't fully right. And on this point I won't make an opinion , but I will say that the climate fanatics one ideal or the other seem to forget that climate changing has happened for the history of this planet since it cooled from molten rock.
But extreme people on both ends of that debate only believe what their bias tells them.
Not what is fact or fiction.
And I mean both facts and fictions even in science, have to be investigated, all science needs questioning by peer reviews so when a statement is made,it is as close as possible to truth that science can get to, all sciences, and what is released as truth information, is most likely the closest reality

Extremists never do that!

A fact of human existence is nothing is 100% a nation may decide not to go down a very dangerous path, because it is convinced without full check , thinking they are doing the right thing yet, actually harming the exact things they think they are protecting. But some go down that path, humans do that. When extremists get hold of the power influencing, in different ways????

So extremism is so stupid, that extreme outfits, should never ever get power.

But they do sometimes and that is because, mr and mrs and ms and it or they or them, what ever they are, never look far enough, by either being lazy or being "unintelligent"?!
Or worse just make trouble because they are dumb! And they use fear, and that is why extremism is a disease, in some people.

I'd describe an extreme leftie as someone who has violent tendencies because of their world views, like an antifa thug or similar (don't know if they exist in oz, which is not pertinent to the discussion anyway i;e 'in australia'). Not someone who has progressive views wearing a t shirt with a protest theme.

' I’m starting to think they are heaps rarer than extreme righties.' Whole heartedly agree, this is hardly news or surprising.

Extreme is extreme, not someone with empathetic world views who smokes weed and has dreadlocks.
You are right about extremism, I know a very decent hard working young man doing an apprenticeship , level headed decent in his thirties, but try to talk about a certain subject he believes in he has no room in his nice bloke manner to even listen to another argument. He is extreme, to me!

Not a thug, not a hooligan, not a violent person, and I doubt very much a weed user or a heavy drinker.

But he is extreme in the way he looks at his bias.
Because he can't look past his bias.

Great fella a son of a very very old friend of mine.
I think the left is actually taking over as kings of extreme groups in numbers.

The left are fanatics in belief, where as righties are simply in the main, violent and its all about other things, or anything, maybe fantasy of being what they are not.

I think the left have taken that crown away from mad dog righties , who seem to gather less now.

Not that often, but when they do, its something really big that's happened , and it becomes war!
Perhaps reacting to the Trump 2020 issues? Not picking a side there just making a point.

That's where it started.
Language is fluid, and the meaning of 'woke' has shifted. It's parodied now.

I don't see any relationship between anti-wokes and Nazis. Woke is viewed as LW extremism that the majority oppose, much in the same way that the majority don't think favourably of those who picket soldiers funerals or abortion clinics.

Language is fluid, and the meaning of 'woke' has shifted. It's parodied now.

I don't see any relationship between anti-wokes and Nazis. Woke is viewed as LW extremism that the majority oppose, much in the same way that the majority don't think favourably of those who picket soldiers funerals or abortion clinics.

Not all white supremacists are Nazis. Regardless, do you think there are any woke Nazis?

There's plenty of articles on this, if you cared enough to look.

Not all white supremacists are Nazis. Regardless, do you think there are any woke Nazis?

There's plenty of articles on this, if you cared enough to look.

That article has a very optimistic take, which doesn't surprise me in the least.

White supremacy isn't necessarily mainstream. Anti-woke is more like cultural appropriation.
How prevalent is white supremacy?

I'll take a wild guess that 5% of the population care either way about wokeness.

How prevalent is white supremacy?

I'll take a wild guess that 5% of the population care either way about wokeness.

Not sure. But in case it wasn't clear, it's part of the white supremacy culture that has been appropriated as anti-woke.

That's the flip side to the term woke being culturally appropriated from black history.

"woke" is just shorthand for "decent person with a social conscience with the motivation to publicly stand up to injustice".
It makes my laugh when I see someone using it as a derogatory term and immediately puts them in a fringe extremist position.
It immediately undermines their argument no matter what that may be, even if some of their points may have some valid basis.

When used in that way it simply shows the user is too uneducated to even find out what he/she is against.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back