Society/Culture Why do less intelligent people gravitate to conservative/right wing ideology.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Daily Mail article reports upon a study by Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario, Canada. (another Canadian Academic Psychologist but without a youtube presence). He looked at data from 2 UK studies testing child development. The subjects were
(a) 4,267 boys and 4,537 girls born in 1958;
(b) 3,412 boys and 3,658 girls born in 1970.

The tests were of
(c) verbal and non verbal intelligence; and
(d) cognitive abilities (number recall, shape-drawing tasks, defining words and identifying patterns and similarities among words).

In both surveys, 23 years later, the same groups were asked to answer a series of questions about traditions, authority and attitudes toward other races. Hodson then postulated a definition of conservatism which is undefined but looks to be based upon attitudes towards Authority and other races and concluded that low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservtive ideologies.

I’d very cautious about accepting the conclusions drawn by Grin and his gaggle of applauders from the article helpfully posted by Mofra
So would I.

Here's a meta-analysis that's far more wide ranging.

There is a significant body of work on the subject. Assuming the entire concept is based off a single study is folly.

To a large extent, identity issues actually do characterise the left/right divide in the 21st century.

The cultural war focus on identify issues, it could be argued, has been artificially manufactured by the privileged few at the top to help ensure a sizeable portion of the population pick their politics on something other than whether the current economic systems benefit the majority rather than just those privileged few.

To a large extent, identity issues actually do characterise the left/right divide in the 21st century.
I heard one American commentator saying the ideological divisions of the Cold War and the years after are long gone, and now it’s basically woke versus anti woke. The presumptive Republican nominee bangs on about tariffs every chance he gets for heavens sake.

The cultural war focus on identify issues, it could be argued, has been artificially manufactured by the privileged few at the top to help ensure a sizeable portion of the population pick their politics on something other than whether the current economic systems benefit the majority rather than just those privileged few.
It’s been ratcheted up by social and mainstream media grifters on both sides who see it as a big fat cash cow.

you are joking right? Society is far more left wing today than it was 40+ years ago.

Gay marriage 40 years ago - 5% community support

Paid parental leave

Family tax benefits

Transgender rights

The welfare state has expanded significantly

Society is getting more and more left wing and will continue to do so whilst the left is effective at controlling the education system
Might want to have a look at tax rates from those eras

And while you are there have a look at what proportion of the government revenue was from big business compared to now.

a refugee who comes on a boat to Australia when they have several other counrties they pass through is an illegal immigrant

That is the law and those are the ones we lock up

A refugee in a camp in Africa is a refugee. They come here legally at our invitation through a proper program.

Disagreeing with you does not make one ignorant. I understand it is straight from the extreme left handbook but it doesn't make it so

You’re the kind of person who would think the project and the age are left and the abc far left.

Yep, many of those who think the world is going “far left” should take notice of said tax rates in the post WW2 years.

Some people just think being left is recognising trans people and not hating gay people. We need economic policies to benefit everyone.
Why shouldn’t I be allowed to negative gear my 4 investment properties? I am sick of paying 48cents in the dollar to support people that do arts degrees or are on jobseeker. In my day it was different, now I did get $200,000 to put towards my first home, and my grandparents paid for me to go to Melbourne uni, but man, I had to hustle at KPMG!

Society is getting more and more left wing and will continue to do so whilst the left is effective at controlling the education system
I don't know about that, but if you wanted an education system controlled by the right, they'd need to get educated, which would result in them becoming more left, because educated people are far less likely to fall for propaganda aimed at conning the brainless.

An education system controlled by the right would essentially be an oxymoron, with the emphasis on moron.

I don't know about that, but if you wanted an education system controlled by the right, they'd need to get educated, which would result in them becoming more left, because educated people are far less likely to fall for propaganda aimed at conning the brainless.

An education system controlled by the right would essentially be an oxymoron, with the emphasis on moron.

They tried this. It's called Sunday School.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile, you keep voting for parties that you believe are corrupt.

Does that not seem weird to you? Or is it more important to feel you are on the winning side?

geez

didn't take long for the greens to cop it.

Why would the Greens leader be flying on a private jet? And not commercial?

Not to his taste maybe.

What is with that?
If we take the left/right partisanship out of the equation, I think we’re left with what I will now coin as the low-effort call-out culture to make ourselves feel smart. I think a lot of it comes from wanting to get comment likes or to be the “ackshewally” guy during a conversation in a public setting.
Hey - you mentioned electric cars. Did you know that you still need to do mining to get lithium? Did you know electric cars are still distributed using diesel powered ships? 😎 look at me I’m dropping facts and am part of the conversation

If we take the left/right partisanship out of the equation, I think we’re left with what I will now coin as the low-effort call-out culture to make ourselves feel smart. I think a lot of it comes from wanting to get comment likes or to be the “ackshewally” guy during a conversation in a public setting.
Hey - you mentioned electric cars. Did you know that you still need to do mining to get lithium? Did you know electric cars are still distributed using diesel powered ships? 😎 look at me I’m dropping facts and am part of the conversation
Some people just like being "contrarian" for the sake of being contrarian.

They're the hipsters of discourse, which might also be a good band name.

Some people just like being "contrarian" for the sake of being contrarian.

They're the hipsters of discourse, which might also be a good band name.
It’s like f**ken hell, do they think the engineers who develop these technologies are somehow unaware of their shortcomings? Or that literally everything they invent won’t, in and of itself, be the silver bullet that solves climate change?

It’s so stupid.

It’s like f**ken hell, do they think the engineers who develop these technologies are somehow unaware of their shortcomings? Or that literally everything they invent won’t, in and of itself, be the silver bullet that solves climate change?

It’s so stupid.
I'll bite. It's not that it's not a silver bullet, it's that its throwing cardboard on a housefire.

It simply extends the ubiquitous nature of cars, the car industry itself, and city design relying on cars.
If electric vehicles were being pumped for emergency services and public transport I would be on board. As it stands though I can't begrudge someone buying one, it will be lower emissions over the lifetime and an individual has limited choice

I'll bite. It's not that it's not a silver bullet, it's that its throwing cardboard on a housefire.

It simply extends the ubiquitous nature of cars, the car industry itself, and city design relying on cars.
If electric vehicles were being pumped for emergency services and public transport I would be on board. As it stands though I can't begrudge someone buying one, it will be lower emissions over the lifetime and an individual has limited choice
Fair enough. The broader, progressive anti-car sentiment not really what I was bitching about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back