Why is Brisbane so far out in front?

Remove this Banner Ad

IIII Life

Debutant
Apr 11, 2002
Other Teams
Sydney
It has been talked about heaps in the media lately, and i know it is only Round 3 but the signs are there and have been ever since that belting they received last year at Optus.

No disrepect to my Brissie friends, but are they that far in front, it is only round 3, geeze where did all these bandwagoners come from. :confused:

Originally posted by IIII Life
It has been talked about heaps in the media lately, and i know it is only Round 3 but the signs are there and have been ever since that belting they received last year at Optus.

Its yet to be proven they are that far in front of everybody. They are the best team on form at the moment, but not by that much.

Its only three games:
rnd 1. Snuck in over undermaned Sydney.
rnd 2. Thrashed extremely overrated Hawthorn at home
rnd 3. Great win at home.

Only round 3 is the standout performance in my opinion, and that was at their home ground. I'd like to see them take on either adelaide side in Adelaide, or a good melbourne side in melbourne.

They have been blessed with few injuries so far as well.

Re: Re: Why is Brisbane so far out in front?

Originally posted by barry

So when sydney beats the hawks its a "Rampaging Hawthorn" but when another team does its "Extremely Overrated"

Re: Re: Re: Why is Brisbane so far out in front?

Originally posted by damnfine

So when sydney beats the hawks its a "Rampaging Hawthorn" but when another team does its "Extremely Overrated"

There is no inconsistancy there. Sydney beat Hawthorn several weeks ago when they had come off a very good win, and a lot of people had tipped them to be top 3. Based on all avaliable evidence at the time they were "rampaging".
Several weeks later they can barely beat Freo. Based on a lot more evidence they are currently "overrated".

Things may change in a months time. I'm not nostrodarmis. I just tell it how it is at the moment.

Originally posted by Sly77

Try living in Brisbane Mantis.....and people wonder why I'm going slightly insane :(

Same thing happened to me living in Perth in the 90's, that is why I have a total hatred of the weagels, sorry once again to my Eagle mates, just hard supporting an opposition team in a state outside Victoria.

Originally posted by mantis
No disrepect to my Brissie friends, but are they that far in front, it is only round 3, geeze where did all these bandwagoners come from. :confused:

Then you have the other side, those of us who have suffered the greatest loss in football, have come across this amazing success, and are just enjoying every sweet moment of it. :D

Originally posted by lioness22

Then you have the other side, those of us who have suffered the greatest loss in football, have come across this amazing success, and are just enjoying every sweet moment of it. :D

AAAWWW Jacs I wasn't having a go at you or Danni, just these newbies we never heard of before jumping on your bandwagon, talking rubbish.

Same thing happened to me living in Perth in the 90's, that is why I have a total hatred of the weagels, sorry once again to my Eagle mates, just hard supporting an opposition team in a state outside Victoria.

Well go join Freo...then you'll REALLY see some pre-hatch chicken counting! :D

(and before the usual suspects start up...no, I do not think the Eagles are top 8 material, and I am under no delusions whatsoever that the club has a significant way to go before it can return to a position similar to the glory days of the early 90s...)

Originally posted by IIII Life

Leigh Matthews and his original coaching recruits
A delayed effect of the Lions merger
Local development and/or successful trade strategies
Michael Voss
The Brisbane climate
They aren't, everyone else (except perhaps Essendon) are just soo far behind!

Where's the plain "they've got bloody good players" option?

Their recruting officer before 1999 (Scott Clayton) might have had something to do with getting those players;

Leppitsch, Notting, Power, McDonald, Black, , McRae, Lappin, Bradshaw, Scott, … also blokes like Akermanis and Voss with zone picks.... all selected by Scott Clayton.

The importance of a gun recruiter is so under-estimated, it's not funny. Replace those 7 (elite tier) blokes with dud picks by a dud recruiter (like clubs like mine were making during that time despite similar picks) and we wouldn't be talking about Brisbane like we are now.

And who's got Scott Clayton now? Nya Nya, Nya Nya Nya. :p

Of course successful trade strategies are important, but to my mind most of the groundwork for the current success was laid during the 1991-1995 period when the current senior leadership was recruited to the club.

Voss, Akermanis, Leppitsch, Lappin, Chris Scott, Lynch, Hart, White, McRae. Ashcroft debuted in 1989. It's the hardworking core of the team.

Too early to beleive all that poor time pressured journos have to write, Hell, most of them are copying the guy next to them anyway.

Last year they started very average and then got into their streak, this year it might be the opposite, who knows. AS for the players, most of them were in the team that was bottom a few years ago so its interesting to pick out what the difference is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AAAWWW Jacs I wasn't having a go at you or Danni, just these newbies we never heard of before jumping on your bandwagon, talking rubbish.

I don't understand all this talk about Bandwagoners? Every team when they become succesful has supporters coming out of the woodwork, and especially in developing markets the number of new supporters following AFL due to the local team's success is huge. But what is wrong with that? Isn't the point to attract as many people to follow the AFL as possible? What gives people who have followed football for 10 years more right to an opinion than say someone from Sydney who has only been following for 2 years? I don't think you could claim anyone on these boards a 'bandwagoner', as generally they wouldn't expend the time to post and read opinions about football?:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why is Brisbane so far out in front?

Things may change in a months time. I'm not nostrodarmis. I just tell it how it is at the moment. [/B]

Your no Nostradamus either. Btw, your lot is 'undermanned' and my lot is 'vastly over-rated' (with no Hay, Barker, McCabe. Rawlings, Tallis and Holland all having interrupted pre-season preparations and Picioane getting injured after dominating the first quarter midfield clearances in that Gabba game)? Pray tell how that one works out? Btw I didn't see to many people nominating the Hawks to actually win that game. What did nostrodarmis predict?

Agree with Westy, where is the 'bloody good player' option? Even more succinct where is the 'the bloody awesome midfield' option?

You forgot the McGuire reason: unfair concessions

Whoo-oo did anyone here Eddie this morning on Sport927....I almost dropped my cornflakes! he really gave it to Brisbane in a very forceful argument...his use of the Bombers as an example was surprising & gratifying and cannot be construed as our sour grapes. (When he took on Benny Gale on the F.S. I thought that he must have been in debating club.) Whatever I think of his media presence, he certainly attacks AFL issues head on. And he was off to help at a Doggies benefit!?! He has raised in my opinion.

Did anyone hear him and what did you think?:eek: :)

I heard Eddie and I didn't think he actually said anything that isn't agreed with in Brisbane. He isn't against the principle of priority choices from the developing states, however he doesn't believe they should get someone for nothing, hence his support for the bidding system as proposed by the Lions. He gave the Swans a broadside for using their extra salary cap to 'steal' players from other clubs, whereas he excluded Brisbane from this. So I don't actually see where he gave it to Brisbane?:confused:

Overall his argument was sound, and nothing that hasn't been suggested already!

Originally posted by Campbell
Sorry to burst the bubble. But Kinear Beatson is the Bears/ Lions Recruiting Manager. Scott Clayton was the Football Manager, b4 the cleanout.Guby Alan now holds that job.
Don't know how your structure is up there, Campbell, but Scott Clayton did recruit 'em .... Luke and Sam Power's parents mentioned it after we selected the kid... as did Mike Sheahan in an article on Sam.

Also, during one of our picks at the National Draft telecast in 2000 the 'special comments' bloke made mention of Clayton being responsible for recruiting the likes of Leppitsch, Black, Lappin and Scott to the club between 1993-1998.

As I said, don't know the exact roles/difference between 'recruiter'/'football manager' at the Lions, but I doubt so many sources would be wrong, and I'm sure he would have had a fair influence on who you recruited.

He's a gun either way -- He's been with us since the 1999 draft, nabbing Murphy, Giansiracusa, Birss, Hargrave, Gilbee and Bowden at that draft alone -- Just hope we're around long enough to reap the rewards of his work like Brisbane have.

Originally posted by BrainOfMorbius
Of course successful trade strategies are important, but to my mind most of the groundwork for the current success was laid during the 1991-1995 period when the current senior leadership was recruited to the club.

Voss, Akermanis, Leppitsch, Lappin, Chris Scott, Lynch, Hart, White, McRae. Ashcroft debuted in 1989. It's the hardworking core of the team.

I totally agree with 'The Brain'. Although, Keating is another to be added to the abovementioned list.

I don't know what the big mystery is, and why the need to analise it to death.

Most of our boys have been with the Club since the Carrara days, along with great recruiting, Black and Power and a few more.

Chris Johnson is the only player left from the merge of Fitzroy.

This is a team that has been together through some pretty horrific times, not only trying to break AFL into a Rugby League State from Carrara but the merger was a highly emotional and distressing time, for not only the players but all of their supporters.

This team is one of the strongest team units I have seen.

They are a 'Team' in every sense of the word.

I am extremely proud to be a financial Brisbane Lions supporter and I have been a financial member for over 8 years.

It is very nice to see my boys do so well, as they deserve it.

I guess people are judging the teams against the teams they have beaten thus far, and judged those teams on where they finished last year.

Most Brisbane fans aren't counting their chickens just yet, there is a long way to go in the season. Especially after our start to last season, it proves that anyone can come from the pack to take the flag. I'm sure Carlton fans would have thought they had us covered after the Rd 9 game, yet I would have been supremely confident of giving them a touch up if we met during the finals. Same for the Crows, they beat us at the Gabba in Round 10, but I believe we would have run over the top of them during the finals. So you can't read too much into form in Rd 3.

Brisbane deserve the success they are having. They committed themselves to developing a bunch of youngsters back in 1993, this meant that they would endure some lean years - which they certainly did - but they are reaping the benefits now.

I bit of assistance from the AFL in that time has also helped. It should now be solely up to Brisbane to keep that success going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back