MRP / Trib. Will Powell (GC Suns) Banned for 5 rounds for using a homophobic slur during their loss to Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

what happens to the next bloke give him 10?
Sure.

5 for the slur, and 5 for being stupid enough to say it, given the stance the AFL has taken.

Last edited:
Yes a physical assault is far far worse.
And homophobia leads to increased suicide rates amongst the gay community. As in, you know, death by their own hand.

So homophobia has physical consequences too, they are just not as apparent as with assault.

And homophobia leads to increased suicide rates amongst the gay community. As in, you know, death by their own hand.

So homophobia has physical consequences too, they are just not as apparent as with assault.
It's not as apparent, because it is not the inevitable ultimate conclusion of someone calling you are bad name. Nor is it necessarily the only reason if God forbid you did self-harm.

There is however no ambiguity with a physical attack, the physical consequence are immediate, real and unambiguous (and lets not forget the emotion trauma and CTE down the road that comes with it. Ask any sane individual which they would prefer to be inflicted upon them. And what the respective penalties should be relative to each other. That's why so many are annoyed with the Will Powell penalty, it just doesn't pass the pub test.

It’s a good insight into the easily outraged, oft insulted snowflakes who are so quick to be offended and to label someone a bigot.
lol. What century are you in dude?
Sounding like he quick to be outraged and offended, and yep, sounding like he is a bigot and he’s copped his right whack.
Next time it’ll be 10 weeks rightly so.

I’m just happy Maynard didn’t yell out a homophonic slur when he was air borne against the Dees last year

No I just think if I line someone up and flatten them, or punch them, or knee them etc that I should expect to get a worse penalty than calling them a bad name. Sorry if that is controversial to you.
You do get weeks for flattening or punching someone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not as apparent, because it is not the inevitable ultimate conclusion of someone calling you are bad name. Nor is it necessarily the only reason if God forbid you did self-harm.

There is however no ambiguity with a physical attack, the physical consequence are immediate, real and unambiguous (and lets not forget the emotion trauma and CTE down the road that comes with it. Ask any sane individual which they would prefer to be inflicted upon them. And what the respective penalties should be relative to each other. That's why so many are annoyed with the Will Powell penalty, it just doesn't pass the pub test.
Actually the penalty does pass the pub test, because homophobia can be extremely harmful to the people it is directed at, either emotionally or physically, or both. And for that reason it is unacceptable, which is why the AFL will not tolerate it. It needs to be eradicated from the game. And I agree with the AFL's stance.

Comparing homophobia to physical assault, as in arguing the latter as worse (rightly or wrongly), is simply deflecting from the issue, for reasons only known to the the person making the comparison.

lol. What century are you in dude?
Sounding like he quick to be outraged and offended, and yep, sounding like he is a bigot and he’s copped his right whack.
Next time it’ll be 10 weeks rightly so.
I’m talking about the outraged who are calling him a bigot. One the basis of one event, they have been able to ascertain with certainty that Will Powell is a bigot.

Will has been alive for more than 12 million minutes, but based off this one fraction of a minute, they can deduce that he is a bigot.

I’m talking about the outraged who are calling him a bigot. One the basis of one event, they have been able to ascertain with certainty that Will Powell is a bigot.

Will has been alive for more than 12 million minutes, but based off this one fraction of a minute, they can deduce that he is a bigot.

And you are basing someone's entire existence of who they are as irrelevant and they should put up with slurs. Cool

No I just think if I line someone up and flatten them, or punch them, or knee them etc that I should expect to get a worse penalty than calling them a bad name. Sorry if that is controversial to you.
You realise that one action impacts an individual, where as the other impacts a community of people right?

Like by your logic Jaidyn Stephenson gets 2 weeks for gambling because surely just using an app isn't as bad as punching someone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back