Discussion Worst ever jumper clashes

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
And as the article stated, the uniform they brought was not approved for that game so they clearly knew it was the incorrect uniform.

Did you read it properly? They asked to wear a special jersey but were denied due to a colour clash. They were told they had to wear their home jerseys but “missed it” in the discussion about the special jersey, and ended up bringing their away jerseys because they were the away team.

I don’t think they knew it was incorrect. Sounds to me like its just a (fairly silly) mistake. I wouldn’t expect any team to take two uniforms “just in case” either.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Did you read it properly? They asked to wear a special jersey but were denied due to a colour clash. They were told they had to wear their home jerseys but “missed it” in the discussion about the special jersey, and ended up bringing their away jerseys because they were the away team.

I don’t think they knew it was incorrect. Sounds to me like its just a (fairly silly) mistake. I wouldn’t expect any team to take two uniforms “just in case” either.
It says "The Bulldogs were instructed to wear their predominantly white home jersey but the club wore a kit, which had not been approved for use on this occasion." To me that sounds like they got told directly by the NRL to wear a specific kit and they either just ignored that instruction or forgot.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
It says "The Bulldogs were instructed to wear their predominantly white home jersey but the club wore a kit, which had not been approved for use on this occasion." To me that sounds like they got told directly by the NRL to wear a specific kit and they either just ignored that instruction or forgot.

I’m not disputing that they were told to wear the home, I just don’t think they deliberately ignored the request. It also sounds like the directive may have been some time ago when they were seeking permission to wear a special jersey. Just sounds like an honest mixup to me.

Similar thing happened a number of years ago in the AFL, where West Coast packed their away jumpers on a trip to Melbourne to play the Western Bulldogs. Of course, that meant both teams in royal blue. West Coast were supposed to wear their home jumper (this was before the white clash) but because they basically always wore royal away, it was overlooked.

D24EC11C-9B24-4134-95ED-5A84E709CF2C.jpeg

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
I’m not disputing that they were told to wear the home, I just don’t think they deliberately ignored the request. It also sounds like the directive may have been some time ago when they were seeking permission to wear a special jersey. Just sounds like an honest mixup to me.

Similar thing happened a number of years ago in the AFL, where West Coast packed their away jumpers on a trip to Melbourne to play the Western Bulldogs. Of course, that meant both teams in royal blue. West Coast were supposed to wear their home jumper (this was before the white clash) but because they basically always wore royal away, it was overlooked.

View attachment 530041
I believe the same happened in a preseason game between Collingwood and Brisbane around 2013. We ended up wearing clash with black shorts which was nice.

Is Judd pulling back Cox due to the clash?

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
View attachment 529628
Not AFL but this tonight in the NRL does not look good. Two primarily royal blue and hooped jumpers.

That is an absolute shocker, one of the worst clashes I've ever seen.

The strange thing is, often NRL and AFL often insist on teams wearing anemic clash jumpers when there is no clash, such as Fremantle and Hawthorn in the 2013 Grand Final. Yet other times teams are allowed to take the field in jumpers where there is a real clash. For example, in one game played in Perth in 2008, Richmond wore their black jumpers with a yellow sash, and the West Coast Eagles a navy blue and gold jumper. How was that clash permitted?

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I believe the same happened in a preseason game between Collingwood and Brisbane around 2013. We ended up wearing clash with black shorts which was nice.
That was more so due to Collingwood wearing their white jumpers that whole preseason. Then I think from memory Brisbane wore their Melbourne jumpers which they only have white shorts to go with that kit. So like the Geelong-Brisbane matchup.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
They didn't bring all their kits just incase?
At AFL level the club is sent an email on Wednesday that goes to the Football Manager who then sends it to the Property Manager.
He is then responsible for packing two sets of the jumpers and shorts, along with socks the AFL determine will be used.
He also packs boots, coaching material, such as whiteboards etc, sponsorship signs, drinks, such as cups, Powerade etc, food, trainers material, such as exercise equipment, massage oil, benches etc, video equipment, computers and anything else the club might decide they need on game day.
These are then transported to the ground. Currently there are only 4 AFL clubs that train at the ground they call their Home ground. (The Qld and NSW teams)
There is simply no room to pack jumpers and shorts that are not going to be used.
If they make a mistake with the jumpers and shorts that they pack, they can either go and get the replacements, or take the fine the AFL will hand out for wearing the wrong ones.

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
At AFL level the club is sent an email on Wednesday that goes to the Football Manager who then sends it to the Property Manager.
He is then responsible for packing two sets of the jumpers and shorts, along with socks the AFL determine will be used.
He also packs boots, coaching material, such as whiteboards etc, sponsorship signs, drinks, such as cups, Powerade etc, food, trainers material, such as exercise equipment, massage oil, benches etc, video equipment, computers and anything else the club might decide they need on game day.
These are then transported to the ground. Currently there are only 4 AFL clubs that train at the ground they call their Home ground. (The Qld and NSW teams)
There is simply no room to pack jumpers and shorts that are not going to be used.
If they make a mistake with the jumpers and shorts that they pack, they can either go and get the replacements, or take the fine the AFL will hand out for wearing the wrong ones.
Makes sense to me.

I must say though Geelong train at their home ground too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
In 2012 Norwood played West Adelaide in the SANFL Grand Final, and according to some, it was very hard to watch.

In both matches during the minor round the away team wore clash. Apparently the rules change after the start of September.

Navy vs black is just dumb.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
In 2012 Norwood played West Adelaide in the SANFL Grand Final, and according to some, it was very hard to watch.

Bassett-ball also made it very hard to watch;)

I grew up with this sort of jumper/shorts match-up (throw in South Adelaide) so you just kinda got used to it. Obviously nowadays the philosophy of good contrast between jumpers needs to be fully embraced by the SANFL in the finals, as is now happening in the AFL.

Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks, Southampton FC
Bassett-ball also made it very hard to watch;)

I grew up with this sort of jumper/shorts match-up (throw in South Adelaide) so you just kinda got used to it. Obviously nowadays the philosophy of good contrast between jumpers needs to be fully embraced by the SANFL in the finals, as is now happening in the AFL.
I miss the days of the Warriors and the mighty dogs in their double stripe white jumper.

3.jpg

Willunga (in the white guernsey with red shorts) vs Strathalbyn (in the red guernsey and white shorts) from the GSFL

Another classic example of the archaic 'away team wears white shorts' rule in country footy. It works well in most situations, but when it is known that are matchup like this will occur, surely the clubs or the league jump on the front foot and sort it out. Even if both teams wore red shorts it would look better than one wearing red, one wearing white, because red/red means the shorts cancel each other out, and the jumpers (and then the uniforms as a whole) clearly contrast

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
That could also be a case of Strathalbyn wearing white shorts at part of their main kit anyway (like most Roosters teams) and Willunga having red shorts as part of their home jumper. It's a dumb situation.

The Northern Areas FA don't have a away shorts policy, and up until a few years ago Crystal Brook, Southern Flinders and Jamestown/Peterborough all had white shorts vs part of their uniforms - so several times during the year you'd have two teams playing each other both in white shorts. CB and SF have switched to red and black shorts respectively in the years since and only JP still have white shorts.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Did Port Adelaide ever play any games against Collingwood prior to joining the AFL?
"Port Adelaide won the SAFL premiership in 1910 defeating Sturt 8.12 (60) to 5.11 (41) in the Grand Final. The club would go on to defeat Collingwood for the 1910 Championship of Australia title" (Wikipedia entry). I reckon they would've had other "friendlies" over the journey too.
There was a trial game in 1990 from memory.
1993 Fizz (). That was a fair jumper clash. I was there, and thought there were a few times the players got confused by it. But it worked OK for the most part I suppose. I wouldn't want to see this match-up in the AFL (happy for Port to wear prison bars in any other match though!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back