Worst player you've ever seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

You could argue that T20 has helped these players get more opportunity at a top level competition rather than plodding for their local grade team.

Can't disagree but tbh I just can't stand these type of bowlers having grown up watching spinners who had to use turn, flight and variation to get wickets. Outside of a change in pace these guys do nothing to get wickets. Maybe my comments don't belong in this thread but IMO it takes very little talent to bowl the way they do compared to anyone else out there at this level, maybe even less than the Scott Coyte types that probably fit the theme of this thread better.

I remember watching a bit of the stream of that. It was like he had the yips or something.
It was quite unfair to pick him in that game. Simply wasn't ready and the experience had a negative effect on him long term. Had been quite promising and been through the underage carnivals.

Was at a time when the Redbacks were woeful and looking to pluck positives from another dire season.

Because 105km/hr an hour darts are hard to hit for 8-10 runs an over but ask them to take wickets when batsmen only need 5-6 an over or in first class cricket don't have to worry about scoring rates at all.

It works in the BBL but won't at international level IMO. The difference between some of these guys and club bowlers is accuracy an nothing else. I'll give Green one thing he changes his pace up. Some don't even do that.
On the other hand, the BBL also benefits spinners who do turn the ball and have more variations (especially leggies), because the lack of pressure to score quickly means batsmen can defend the good balls and wait for the inevitable bad one. See: the FC records of pretty much any aggressive or less orthdox spinner in Australia recently. Speaking of which, I had no idea Jason Krezja averaged 49 in FC cricket. There's bad, and then there's... that.

On the other hand, the BBL also benefits spinners who do turn the ball and have more variations (especially leggies), because the lack of pressure to score quickly means batsmen can defend the good balls and wait for the inevitable bad one. See: the FC records of pretty much any aggressive or less orthdox spinner in Australia recently. Speaking of which, I had no idea Jason Krezja averaged 49 in FC cricket. There's bad, and then there's... that.

It's not a orthodox/unorthodox spin thing. Guys like O'Keefe, Holland, Lyon and Agar have played well enough to get test opportunities. You don't see any of them bowl whole overs 95+km/hr. A good leggie will still do well, like Swepson is ATM but again he bowls much slower than guys who don't succeed for their state.

It's not a orthodox/unorthodox spin thing. Guys like O'Keefe, Holland, Lyon and Agar have played well enough to get test opportunities. You don't see any of them bowl whole overs 95+km/hr. A good leggie will still do well, like Swepson is ATM but again he bowls much slower than guys who don't succeed for their state.
Have you seen Agar recently? Bowls 95+ darts quite often and was even getting close to medium pace in the BBL at times. Swepson is more promising than any other leggie playing at the moment, but his Shield record isn't great as of now. Definitely benefited by the BBL.

Have you seen Agar recently? Bowls 95+ darts quite often and was even getting close to medium pace in the BBL at times. Swepson is more promising than any other leggie playing at the moment, but his Shield record isn't great as of now. Definitely benefited by the BBL.

Yes I have. He does toss them up at List A and shield level, even in BBL more than many others. Big difference as well to adapting your game to T20s and not having the ability to bowl any other way. I'm sure I remember Holland being up there in previous BBLs but in List A cricket and his test match was more around 85-90 which is still quick but you're still giving yourself a chance.

Averaging in the 30s for a career overall isn't that bad for a spinner in Australia especially at 23. Hoggy averaged around 35.

Last edited:
Ok then, Liam O'Conner, Clive Rose, Michael Beer (these days)

There's a reason these guys never play first class cricket anymore and hardly ever play List A cricket.

Could add a few more but they are batsmen who I consider talented at batting.

Beer is still a very accomplished short form bowler (played a big role for the Vics in the ODD back in spring) and can reliably get through his overs unpunished. The onset of Agar in the west cut down his first class career and by the time he moved back to Melbourne Ahmed and Holland had established themselves as Victoria's two options (not to mention Maxwell and Hussey as all-rounders), but I think he could have had a sustained impact in the FC arena.

Whilst he is still classed a bitser, Rose adds value through his batting ability.

O'Connor has more strings to his bow than just a T20 bowler, I think you'll see him in the Shield side at some point - perhaps later this summer given Agar is off to India.

The pitches for T20 are like glass. No grip whatsoever unless they happen to get 'tacky' after a bit of rain.

Very difficult for spinners to get any traction. They have to spear them in much of the time.

Curators can't prepare wickets that take turn for T20s because then the quicks just bang slower balls into the wicket that grip and are hard to score off. Makes for unattractive, boring cricket.

The pitches for T20 are like glass. No grip whatsoever unless they happen to get 'tacky' after a bit of rain.

Very difficult for spinners to get any traction. They have to spear them in much of the time.

Curators can't prepare wickets that take turn for T20s because then the quicks just bang slower balls into the wicket that grip and are hard to score off. Makes for unattractive, boring cricket.
Yeah nothing worse than bowlers dominating right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

needs more scott pooland, hands down the worst bowler ive ever seen play for australia got picked after literally bowling two good yorkers in the bbl wasnt one game where he didnt go for 7+ per over and went wicketless
So I assume you've never heard of Chris Matthews, or John Watkins. Get a bit of youtube on them. Woeful.

Poor old Chris Matthews, at least that meltdown made a completely unmemorable career memorable.
John Watkins was even worse (if that's possible), after a few deliveries that missed the pitch, Chappelli had to stand next to him pointing to the pitch he was supposed to be aiming for.

John Watkins was even worse (if that's possible), after a few deliveries that missed the pitch, Chappelli had to stand next to him pointing to the pitch he was supposed to be aiming for.
Watkins was a bit before my time, but I remember watching Matthews, and thinking it the worst bowling I had ever seen in Test cricket.

How many people play for Australia in a calendar year now across the three formats? Thirty odd? Feels like heaps.

Compare that to 20 years ago I reckon it would have been barely 20. Not surprising that some journeyman types are making their way into the national set up who wouldn't have previously. Simply more spots available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back