Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is some opportunistic use of this circumstance from all sides. Modi in India would have a lot of traction from promoting the idea that Muslim prayer meetings are spreading the virus around the nation, creating an even larger divide between who the Indians see as their people and the others, now unclean and literally threatening their lives by their continued existence there - it could get very ugly person to person in India soon.
This also raises the issue of Islamic burial rites.
Generally a body would be washed by family members. In Indonesia some communities are refusing to take bodies. Last night there was footage of bodies wrapped in plastic being delivered to families who unwrap them in the home, was them, kiss them goodbye, etc. I suspect Indonesia is alo going to be hit very hard by the virus and Islamic ritual will exacerbate the issue.

Generally a body would be washed by family members. In Indonesia some communities are refusing to take bodies. Last night there was footage of bodies wrapped in plastic being delivered to families who unwrap them in the home, was them, kiss them goodbye, etc. I suspect Indonesia is alo going to be hit very hard by the virus and Islamic ritual will exacerbate the issue.
Burial practices were a big part of the reason Ebola outbreaks were so bad in Africa.

I sincerely doubted you had any

I know you don't have any.

The WHO should have known at the outset that it was dealing with a bad-faith actor in Beijing. Yet instead of immediately insisting upon access, openness and transparency from China, WHO leadership followed the Chinese lead and at times even took the Chinese line.

The very fact that truth-seekers are left counting urns is an indictment not only of the Beijing regime, but also of the WHO. To help stem the pandemic, the WHO should have been tirelessly pressing China to tell the truth.

Far from sounding an alarm, however, the UN outfit was impassive while Beijing stonewalled international health authorities for weeks. Indeed, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus praised the Chinese regime for its “transparency” in the crisis. Tedros, recall, was Beijing’s candidate for WHO chief and owes his job to China’s campaign for him at the United Nations.

At the end of January, when President Trump ordered a travel ban against entry to the United States from China and other coronavirus “hot spots,” Tedros, echoing Chinese authorities, roundly criticized the decision, insisting it would “have the effect of increasing fear and stigma, with little public health benefit.” By March 12, when the WHO finally declared the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, misbegotten deference to the Chinese government had incalculably impeded the effort to contain the contagion.

I know you don't have any.

The WHO should have known at the outset that it was dealing with a bad-faith actor in Beijing. Yet instead of immediately insisting upon access, openness and transparency from China, WHO leadership followed the Chinese lead and at times even took the Chinese line.

The very fact that truth-seekers are left counting urns is an indictment not only of the Beijing regime, but also of the WHO. To help stem the pandemic, the WHO should have been tirelessly pressing China to tell the truth.

Far from sounding an alarm, however, the UN outfit was impassive while Beijing stonewalled international health authorities for weeks. Indeed, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus praised the Chinese regime for its “transparency” in the crisis. Tedros, recall, was Beijing’s candidate for WHO chief and owes his job to China’s campaign for him at the United Nations.

At the end of January, when President Trump ordered a travel ban against entry to the United States from China and other coronavirus “hot spots,” Tedros, echoing Chinese authorities, roundly criticized the decision, insisting it would “have the effect of increasing fear and stigma, with little public health benefit.” By March 12, when the WHO finally declared the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, misbegotten deference to the Chinese government had incalculably impeded the effort to contain the contagion.
So I was correct, you don't actually have any that show those organisations were......now pay attention......."willfully and maliciously deceiving"

We are down to 2.4% new transmissions.

Why are the premiers grandstanding about how tough they will get?

Great article below.

Because this lockdown sucks and everyone is miserable, so if they can direct that misery at people standing 5m apart on a beach by themselves photographed at a low angle to make it look crowded - then the people aren't angry at the government.

They see the rest of society as the problem and the government as the solution.

Plus, if it's going to get worse that same tactic will have the population literally asking for harsher measures because some people aren't in the same misery as they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless it is a reporting anomaly there is a substantial drop in new cases in the US according to worldmeters.

At this point looking at cases for the US is pointless to what's relevant now. The cases now will only show up as a result in a week or two, not including the ones counted.

In Italy the cases rose drastically, then the slowed down that's but when the deaths started going up. It was only after three weeks of full lockdown that number of deaths started to drop.

We are down to 2.4% new transmissions.

Great article below.

I already posted this article. Maybe you should read the thread before posting?

It's a s**t article. Like I said before the case transmission can mean little. We may not have detected who's got it.

Community transmission is going up rapidly and that's because we don't have a full lockdown.

Why are we ignoring deaths all of a sudden? Ultimately that is the only stat that will actually be counted, and we're up to 37 now from 7 in the last 24 hours and doubling every week.

Same thing used to happen with burial rites and early spread of Ebola (i.e. washing the bodies, accelerating transmission).

OK, I'm officially WTFed out.

news said:
TIGER tests positive for Covid-19 as 5 more big cats develop ‘dry cough’ at Bronx Zoo
Bronx Zoo has announced that one of their big cats tested positive for Covid-19, apparently infected by a caretaker. Three other tigers and three lions developed a dry cough, but are expected to recover.
“Our cats were infected by a person caring for them who was asymptomatically infected with the virus or before that person developed symptoms,” the Wildlife Conservation Society, which manages the zoo, said in a statement.
We tested the cat out of an abundance of caution and will ensure any knowledge we gain about COVID-19 will contribute to the world’s continuing understanding of this novel coronavirus.
The USDA’s National Veterinary Services Laboratory confirmed one positive Covid-19 test for Nadia, a 4-year-old female Malayan tiger, but it was unclear if additional test results were pending for other animals.

Nadia, her sister Azul, two Amur tigers, and three African lions had developed a “dry cough” and have experienced “some decrease in appetite,” but were otherwise “doing well” under constant veterinary care.

While Zoo officials expect the animals to fully recover, they admit that it is “not known how this disease will develop in big cats” since different species react differently to infections and the incident apparently marks the world’s first officially confirmed Covid-19 case for a tiger.

Same thing used to happen with burial rites and early spread of Ebola (i.e. washing the bodies, accelerating transmission).

It may be considered harsh under the corcumstances, but this is evolution in progress.

Those who deny science will be among the first to perish. God is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back