YES, the football league. (and should the AFL comment on social issues)

The league formerly known as the AFL is doing the right thing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Put your personal choice aside people.

Should the AFL be able to brand itself as something else?
Should the AFL be able to make decisions on social issues that interfere in it's governing of the game?
Should the AFL be able to use itself as a bastion when it contradicts itself so badly?
Should we (the paying public) have to accept their garbage?

I would also like to know where the AFL stand on Immunisation, The Ice epidemic, Korea vs Trump, Soft drink taxes etc

Hey AFL where do you stand on gambling in sport?
Are we having a nationwide postal survey on these issues?

I didn't notice.

Did anyone seriously believe the AFL wouldn't have taken this position?

If you're going to boycott football or any other sport because it's administrators took the natural position any sensible sporting body would take, then frankly you should probably seek psychological counselling.

Regardless of your views on SSM you can't possibly be surprised the AFL would take this position.

Aren't conservatives supposed to represent personal responsibility?

Aren't they also the people warning us daily about the dangers of religious incursions into public policy?

If you're not going to listen to me then how about listening to yourselves?
Are they? Youre the one making judgments on people from one single opinion, so you tell me.

I'm gonna go out on lean and assume you think I voted no, maybe go out and find out why individuals vote a certain way instead of labeling people with preconceived perceptions, you might learn few thing.

Clear difference between a company adopting a set of values and trying to enforce it's view on the world.

Get back to me when they start screening people's opinions when issuing memberships, tickets, jobs, etc.

They came out against racism but don't stop racists coming to the football until said racists decide they will target someone for abuse.

In the meantime, people need to relax.

The Etihad argument is ridiculous.
If they should drop Etihad, should people who vote No stop following AFL?

Clear difference between a company adopting a set of values and trying to enforce it's view on the world.

Get back to me when they start screening people's opinions when issuing memberships, tickets, jobs, etc.

They came out against racism but don't stop racists coming to the football until said racists decide they will target someone for abuse.

In the meantime, people need to relax.

The Etihad argument is ridiculous.
If they should drop Etihad, should people who vote No stop following AFL?

Believe it or not, listening to some commentary, that is not a ridiculous question.

Are we having a nationwide postal survey on these issues?

I didn't notice.

I think we should, I also think the AFL need to be involved in all social and political issues.

I prefer the Carlton approach to the AFL approach.

But I guess that makes me a bigot.
From a club level, so do I. Clubs should never be used for political purposes.

However nobody barracks for the AFL so, as I keep saying, it's a no-brainer for them.

Aren't they also the people warning us daily about the dangers of religious incursions into public policy?

Jeff i'm not sure if you understand the word conservative.
To me it means everyone has a choice in this world and when someone with a over priced Uni degree jumps on some type of soap box and tells me what I have to do with my life and soul then I take offence to that. I say to those people on both sides, shut up. Just hut up and let me decide.

Now what you chose to ignore is that the AFL is an entity and it has approximately 50% on each side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supporting SSM is a no-brainer if you have any intellectual integrity.

If you're a cowardly conservative scared of your own shadow then you probably can't see that.
Sure thing, the only people in this world with intellectual integrity are culturally enlightened "progressives" like yourself huh?

People like you are one of the main reasons Trump won the US election. Looks like you're quite the no-brainer yourself.

You know when Carlton is getting slammed for not backing the YES vote (no, not supporting the NO vote, just not taking a side) that this country needs a reality check

Thing that gets me is that Hawthorn has done exactly the same thing and they posted their statement 6 hours before the Blues did, but not a squeak about the Hawks sitting on the fence stance

Even more strange considering an hour after the Hawks statement, their coach was at the AFL standing in front of the YES logo

Hawthorn media mafia :p

You're original comment is representative of everything that has been wrong with the vocal/social media support on this issue. Believe it or not, the people who you dismiss as not having the ability to think have a vote as well, and the way you progress your issue is you educate, include and convince. If you belittle, you'll get a whole bunch of people who actually don't care actively polling NO just because they feel under attack by bandwagoning zealots...... which they are.

I think YES will get a majority, but it won't be by the overwhelming amount that every business out there would have you believe. And these businesses will go very quiet when they realize they've ostracized 40% of their customer base.

I am for the change personally, but I'm disgusted with the way that campaign has gone about it.

You know when Carlton is getting slammed for not backing the YES vote (no, not supporting the NO vote, just not taking a side) that this country needs a reality check
How DARE you suggest people shouldn't unconditionally vote yes. What kind of sick disgusting homophobe are you? You're triggering my social anxiety!

Put your personal choice aside people.

Should the AFL be able to make decisions on social issues that interfere in it's governing of the game?
Should the AFL be able to use itself as a bastion when it contradicts itself so badly?
*Yes, all organisations are perfectly entitled to. Many would have a charter of values they follow. Particularly ones with the size and presence of the AFL.

*I dont see how they interfere, but again, yes. Their decisions on racism, gender equality, etc. have done little to reduce the advancement of their brand.

*You can't stop that. No one is infallible, either. So denying their right on the basis of a subjective view of their ethical credentials is not fair.

*You don't have to pay them. They don't tax the general public, you purchase their product.
you are welcome to stop, or even to purchase more. Decision is yours.

Sure thing, the only people in this world with intellectual integrity are culturally enlightened "progressives" like yourself huh?

People like you are one of the main reasons Trump won the US election. Looks like you're quite the no-brainer yourself.
Trump?

Trump supports SSM as do most Republicans now. In fact most conservatives in the countries that already have SSM support it too.

What is that Australian Conservatives know that these conservatives that have experienced SSM don't?

They absolutely would say it's a no-brainer.

When the concept of equality is somehow "controversial" and the we actually have a quasi vote on whether a particular group should have civil rights this country needs a reality check.

Trump?

Trump supports SSM as do most Republicans now. In fact most conservatives in the countries that already have SSM support it too.

What is that Australian Conservatives know that these conservatives that have experienced SSM don't?

They absolutely would say it's a no-brainer.
Nothing to do with same-sex marriage, just your obnoxious, idiotic attitude towards debates like these.

By all means, keep belittling people at your leisure; you'll only lose more votes.

People get sick of being hectored and lectured to. They get sick of being told how they should think. They don't need the AFL telling thern what their values should be.

Also, they shouldn't foist their views on their own employees. There will be employees within the AFL who don't support same-sex marriage and won't appreciate their employer taking such liberties.

When the concept of equality is somehow "controversial" and the we actually have a quasi vote on whether a particular group should have civil rights this country needs a reality check.
I'm not against homosexual marriage, but you can't preach about equality when anyone who doesn't support the narrative is "literally Hitler"

Back