Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2013 - A Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One I liked last year till I realised he was a '95 birthday, Robertson. Where you see him fitting with his injury? Also, Favretto was one I think you mentioned to me as fitting our recruiting criteria. Getting a game today I believe.

I could imagine a team pulling the trigger with a second round pick when it comes to Robertson, would be worth the risk despite the injury. He showed glimpses of what he could do last year, and he ticks a lot of boxes in the modern game. Don't think he'll slip too far.

Favretto is one of my boys this year, and he would suit a team like Richmond - big body, mix of inside and outside game. Don't think he'll go quite as early as some may think though, he looks a solid third round pick to me. Somewhere in the 40-50 range. But he'd be a great pick in the middle of the draft.

Thoughts on Ben Cavarra? Looks very similar to Hrovat last year. Think he'll push his way into the top 30 by the end of the year.

Can't rule it out, but I personally would leave him for the third round onwards. If I'm selecting someone under 175cm, I want him to be a real playmaker like a Taylor or Impey. Cavarra is a little more your classic hard working midfielder. He deserves early selection based on pure weight of numbers, but I'm a little biased against those shorter ball winners. I like big midfielders. Guess it's just a matter of preference.

Favretto is one of my boys this year, and he would suit a team like Richmond - big body, mix of inside and outside game. Don't think he'll go quite as early as some may think though, he looks a solid third round pick to me. Somewhere in the 40-50 range. But he'd be a great pick in the middle of the draft.

Thanks mate, how would he compare to a Brad Helbig in his draft year? Helbig was same club, big body though bit shorter than Favretto who went in that range. Minus the injuries Helbig has been developing nicely.

22. St Kilda - Kade Kolodjashnij (188cm, 76kg utility - Launceston)

Chris, not sure Kade the Unpronounceable fits for the Saints. Love the idea of getting Boyd, but I think we need a genuine inside grunt midfielder rather than a utility who would play initially as yet another HBFer - we already have Roberton, Gwilt, Dempster, Geary and Gilbert there, with Wright and Webster coming through.

Chris, not sure Kade the Unpronounceable fits for the Saints. Love the idea of getting Boyd, but I think we need a genuine inside grunt midfielder rather than a utility who would play initially as yet another HBFer - we already have Roberton, Gwilt, Dempster, Geary and Gilbert there, with Wright and Webster coming through.

Kohl-o-jas-nee is how it's pronounced.

Kade Kolodjashnij, his twin brother is doing pretty good as well....

Where do you think he could go at in the draft?

Their mother works at a shop I go to, I can't even say her last name to her, sucks to be a commentator... if both twins get picked up! ;)

That's where someone like BT has it easy. Come up with a moronic nickname and you'll never have to say their name again. I hear "Special K" or something in his future.

Chris, can you tell me anything about this bloke?

64%20Tom%20Carter.jpg

Name: Tom Carter

Number: 64

D.O.B: 17/08/1994

Height:
196cm

Weight: 97kg

Chris, do you know how well Toby Nankervis tested at last year's combine? Particularly interested in his speed, leap, and endurance relative to other big men. I only have a vague hint that he "tested well", but more interested if he has a major deficiency.

Don't have his numbers unfortunately, I know he did reasonably well in the goal kicking but otherwise I'm not sure how he went in terms of general athletcism. He isn't one I've paid a great deal of attention to, don't get a real chance to follow much of the Tasmanians so when I do, there are others I prefer to look at. He does keep improving though, seems a solid rookie chance to me.

How's his royal Apeness going so far?

Where's he from, what's his height, weight and name?

Michael Apeness? 199cm, 101kg forward/ruckman from Eastern Ranges. Has been getting some attention on the back of his last game, I don't see him as a genuine ruckman though. Don't think he quite has the skills for that, he is a part timer who can go forward. Size and versatility alone should get him drafted though.

Kade Kolodjashnij, his twin brother is doing pretty good as well....

Where do you think he could go at in the draft?

I'm a fan of Jake, think he is a little underrated. Wouldn't have him at much more than a rookie pick, just given his height and the way he projects. But I think he'd make a more than handy player with a couple of years in him. Having better players around him will certainly help, and he wont be asked to do so much.

Has much been said about Will Maginness?
If not, what are your thoughts?
What is he gifted at? What does he need to improve?

Not a lot has been said about him so far. I'd consider him one of those second or third tier midfield prospects, fighting for selection anywhere from the second round onwards. He doesn't have the greatest skills going around, but he works hard and tends to handball more than he kicks anyway. I like the way he plays through the midfield, runs into space to link up with handballs and marks. Really, he just needs to keep performing. Some more goals wouldn't hurt just to open a few extra eyes, but he is more of a defensive player so you can't really fault him there.

Don't have his numbers unfortunately, I know he did reasonably well in the goal kicking but otherwise I'm not sure how he went in terms of general athletcism. He isn't one I've paid a great deal of attention to, don't get a real chance to follow much of the Tasmanians so when I do, there are others I prefer to look at. He does keep improving though, seems a solid rookie chance to me.
I am the same, with regards to who I watch. Too hard to watch everyone closely when you're at the game, but Nankervis this year has sought of stood out on his own. I've often seen a guy take a strong mark, look for the number, and find it was Nankervis. I'll need to watch him closer, to get a feel for how he moves. That's my concern for him, but not sure how justified it is, which is why I asked. Otherwise, if he has no major deficiencies, I can see him getting drafted this year if he keeps his strong form going. He's been great, probably AA form so far, and it is not as though there are heaps of young rucks in this draft that are better.

I am the same, with regards to who I watch. Too hard to watch everyone closely when you're at the game, but Nankervis this year has sought of stood out on his own. I've often seen a guy take a strong mark, look for the number, and find it was Nankervis. I'll need to watch him closer, to get a feel for how he moves. That's my concern for him, but not sure how justified it is, which is why I asked. Otherwise, if he has no major deficiencies, I can see him getting drafted this year if he keeps his strong form going. He's been great, probably AA form so far, and it is not as though there are heaps of young rucks in this draft that are better.

I see Jake K is 192 does he play as a KP player? Almost too short with the likes of Daniher around. So
Nankervis 2 199 could he play as a KP Defender? Most are not mobile enough but he looks reasonable.

and how is your main man Pearce going?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Jake K is 192 does he play as a KP player? Almost too short with the likes of Daniher around. So
Nankervis 2 199 could he play as a KP Defender? Most are not mobile enough but he looks reasonable.

and how is your main man Pearce going?
Jake K is playing as a key defender, but I see him more as a Colin Garland type of player. A guy who can play on a key forward at a stretch, but is better at playing on smaller forwards and supporting the key defender, then using his skills to link up and bring the ball out of defense. IMO would be playing that role if Tassie had anyone else capable off playing as key defender.

Nankervis is better off playing as a ruck and resting forward, I don't think he has the mobility to play as a key defender. He looks a bit more of your typical lumbering type of ruckmen like a Bellchambers.

Pearce is going OK, but needs to step up his game and start imposing himself. He's been a little disappointing so far. But again, he has a lot of upside and a whole lot of improvement left in him and was always going to be an outside chance to get drafted this year, and if he does he'll be a project player.

Chris, can you tell me anything about this bloke?

64%20Tom%20Carter.jpg

Name: Tom Carter

Number: 64

D.O.B: 17/08/1994

Height:
196cm

Weight: 97kg
*bump*

Don't think I don't see you posting elsewhere Chris... ;)

Where do you find these guys? :p

Carter is still only young, but is developing well. Really bulked up, and moves well too - which means when he isn't down back, he can rotate through the ruck. Hasn't made his league debut yet, so probably not all that draft relevant quite yet as not many players get picked straight out of the reserves. Give him a couple of years in the SANFL I think.

Of the West Adelaide talls, I prefer Mason Middleton and the big ruck Peter Nelson.

Where do you find these guys? :p

Carter is still only young, but is developing well. Really bulked up, and moves well too - which means when he isn't down back, he can rotate through the ruck. Hasn't made his league debut yet, so probably not all that draft relevant quite yet as not many players get picked straight out of the reserves. Give him a couple of years in the SANFL I think.

Of the West Adelaide talls, I prefer Mason Middleton and the big ruck Peter Nelson.
Self employed bud, and work is very slow across June-July... ;)

Club bio has him: 'likely to spend time in the ruck and back.' Under 20s SA rep this year. Worth a Rookie spot as a speculative CHB? We sure need some height back there.

Middleton is a forward though isn't he? He'd want to have grown too, being 'only' 191cm last year.

For that matter, how's Liam Davis travelling? I love a come-from-the-clouds story. Is he good enough to be drafted? He's a bloody monster...

Jake K is playing as a key defender, but I see him more as a Colin Garland type of player. A guy who can play on a key forward at a stretch, but is better at playing on smaller forwards and supporting the key defender, then using his skills to link up and bring the ball out of defense. IMO would be playing that role if Tassie had anyone else capable off playing as key defender.

Nankervis is better off playing as a ruck and resting forward, I don't think he has the mobility to play as a key defender. He looks a bit more of your typical lumbering type of ruckmen like a Bellchambers.

Pearce is going OK, but needs to step up his game and start imposing himself. He's been a little disappointing so far. But again, he has a lot of upside and a whole lot of improvement left in him and was always going to be an outside chance to get drafted this year, and if he does he'll be a project player.

Thanks mate , lumbering at 199 is basically undraftable. He needs to be at least agile looking. 199 rucks will struggle to get drafted from now one.

Jake K , so Mackie type or a bit stronger.

Thanks mate , lumbering at 199 is basically undraftable. He needs to be at least agile looking. 199 rucks will struggle to get drafted from now one.

Jake K , so Mackie type or a bit stronger.
Yeah, honestly I don't know how agile Nankervis is. As I said earlier, I don't really watch him all that closely, but based on what I have seen, he looks to have good strength and pretty reasonable endurance for a big guy, but I do question his relative speed and agility. Not saying that he is slow and unagile, but if he does have athletic deficiencies that would keep him from being drafted, that is where they would be.

As Chris said, Jake will be more of a genuine defender than Mackie. I think my Colin Garland example is a pretty reasonable comparison to the type of player I think he could end up being. He plays deep back, but can also use his skills to be a bit more creative and get the ball moving forward. Mackie is more of a genuine rebounding HBF who can play a shutdown role when required.

Yeah, honestly I don't know how agile Nankervis is. As I said earlier, I don't really watch him all that closely, but based on what I have seen, he looks to have good strength and pretty reasonable endurance for a big guy, but I do question his relative speed and agility. Not saying that he is slow and unagile, but if he does have athletic deficiencies that would keep him from being drafted, that is where they would be.

As Chris said, he will be more of a genuine defender than Mackie. I think my Colin Garland example is a pretty reasonable comparison to the type of player I think he could end up being. He plays deep back, but can also use his skills to be a bit more creative and get the ball moving forward. Mackie is more of a genuine rebounding HBF who can play a shutdown role when required.

Very true , perhaps shut down when desperate but Mackie is at his best attacking , clearing the ball , even kicking goals etc.
So more shut down .. sounds interesting to be honest. At his size are we thinking he is the shut down on the small or medium forward , very difficult seeing him play shutdown on a Cloke ,Hawkins let alone Daniher. So strong over head , kicking reasonable , speed OK... that the story. Sounds a prospect.

So more shut down .. sounds interesting to be honest. At his size are we thinking he is the shut down on the small or medium forward , very difficult seeing him play shutdown on a Cloke ,Hawkins let alone Daniher. So strong over head , kicking reasonable , speed OK... that the story. Sounds a prospect.
Yeah, I don't see him doing a great job on the monster forwards. He tried hard on Boyd, who is already a monster forward, but could not really match him for strength and with his frame, that will continue to be the case for his caeer. He is a bit too ectomorphic and short to be a KPD. Roberton is actually a good comparison to Jake in terms of body type and ideal playstyle. He has good enough skills by hand and foot, not afraid to take the game on, and would be a useful third man up, but not a true KPD.

I'd say he is a pretty good prospect, particularly if this draft is shallow on his type. Every backline could do with one or two of his type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back