Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chris
Would you have any information about Brendan Dew. I'm not certain he's eligible for this draft but if he is I'm hearing very positive things about him at Central Districts.

Connor Menadue (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 69kg, DOB: 19/09/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Range: 15-rookie
Profile: Explosive type with versatility.

Chris can you tell me about this kid.
He's a lovely size but very skinny.
What's his inside game like ?
How quick is he ?
Footskill's ?

My worry with the skinny types, do they like hitting the weights ?
If they don't show enthusiasm for the weight room, don't draft don't want Pitt/Notte type,
that wont do the gym work want a Fyfe type that loves

Cavka with 31 touches and 5 goals yesterday to go with a 16.8 beep test. What are the pros and cons on this guy?

The pros would be that he does most things well, but the cons are that he does nothing great.

I quite like what he offers though, particularly in a draft which I think is lacking in quality and depth come the third round. It's why I moved him into the second round. Cavka has shown enough to suggest that he could be a good player, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him develop as a tagger. He certainly has the endurance for it, as well as the commitment and discipline. Otherwise, he does share some similiarities with Ryan Crowley - good above his head, can go forward and kick goals but also being an inconsistent kick of the football.

Connor Menadue (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 69kg, DOB: 19/09/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Range: 15-rookie
Profile: Explosive type with versatility.

Chris can you tell me about this kid.
He's a lovely size but very skinny.
What's his inside game like ?
How quick is he ?
Footskill's ?

My worry with the skinny types, do they like hitting the weights ?
If they don't show enthusiasm for the weight room, don't draft don't want Pitt/Notte type,
that wont do the gym work want a Fyfe type that loves

I think someone asked me about Menadue on the previous page, he certainly is the flavour of the month at the moment.

He's been good this year, and has improved as the season has gone on - having played more midfield/forward as opposed to half back. But, it's not like he has been an absolute standout all year. His 3 matches at the U18 Championships were nothing to write home about, he laid some nice tackles but that was about it. In general from what I've been reading some people say lately, I think his foot skills are being overrated. He's neat and does flash big play ability at times, but he isn't a sure thing by any means with his disposal. His inside game is developing, but he is primarily an outside midfielder at the moment - 60% of his disposals are from marks or handball receives, so he does rely somewhat on being fed out the ball. Even on the weekend, he had 27 touches but that's with 3 marks and 18 handball receives. Which isn't a negative at all, it's in fact a big positive for an outside player. But that's largely what he is, an outside player.

So now that the negatives are out of the way, he does offer a lot going forward. His potential is quite high, and his coaches all say he still has a lot to learn and a lot more improvement to come. He has shown glimpses of being able to develop an inside game, and for someone still so skinny, he tackles really well and is strong overhead. Both of which are positive signs. Also can't knock his pace.

As for who skinny players develop, there is no way to know what will happen. Some do all the work, but still can't bulk up. I think Jayden Pitt copped a lot of unfair criticism for not putting on weight, because it doesn't mean he wasn't trying. Hayden Crozier is only now starting to develop a frame that can compete regularly at AFL level.

Ultimately, I think Menadue would be a good value pick in the second round. Has a nice size and speed combination, and a decent scope for development. He'll probably either be a star or delisted within three years. Chances are someone will go early, but personally I'd sit back and take Oleg Markov from SA instead. I rate him as having the better skills and better speed, he just hasn't gotten on the park this year so Menadue has the performances on the board.

Hi Chris
Would you have any information about Brendan Dew. I'm not certain he's eligible for this draft but if he is I'm hearing very positive things about him at Central Districts.

Brendan Dew is eligible next year, a small midfielder at around 178/180cm. He claimed the SANFL U18 MVP for 2014, so obviously has had a good year. It's a lazy comparison on my behalf given he's a Brownlow Medal winner and Dew is a 17 year old, but he shares a few similarities with Jimmy Bartel. Hard working midfielder, who can also go forward and play as a target if needed.

Just another SA midfielder to watch next year along with Luke Partington and Maris Olekalns.

The pros would be that he does most things well, but the cons are that he does nothing great.

I think someone asked me about Menadue on the previous page, he certainly is the flavour of the month at the moment.

He's been good this year, and has improved as the season has gone on - having played more midfield/forward as opposed to half back. But, it's not like he has been an absolute standout all year. His 3 matches at the U18 Championships were nothing to write home about, he laid some nice tackles but that was about it. In general from what I've been reading some people say lately, I think his foot skills are being overrated. He's neat and does flash big play ability at times, but he isn't a sure thing by any means with his disposal. His inside game is developing, but he is primarily an outside midfielder at the moment - 60% of his disposals are from marks or handball receives, so he does rely somewhat on being fed out the ball. Even on the weekend, he had 27 touches but that's with 3 marks and 18 handball receives. Which isn't a negative at all, it's in fact a big positive for an outside player. But that's largely what he is, an outside player.

So now that the negatives are out of the way, he does offer a lot going forward. His potential is quite high, and his coaches all say he still has a lot to learn and a lot more improvement to come. He has shown glimpses of being able to develop an inside game, and for someone still so skinny, he tackles really well and is strong overhead. Both of which are positive signs. Also can't knock his pace.

As for who skinny players develop, there is no way to know what will happen. Some do all the work, but still can't bulk up. I think Jayden Pitt copped a lot of unfair criticism for not putting on weight, because it doesn't mean he wasn't trying. Hayden Crozier is only now starting to develop a frame that can compete regularly at AFL level.

Ultimately, I think Menadue would be a good value pick in the second round. Has a nice size and speed combination, and a decent scope for development. He'll probably either be a star or delisted within three years. Chances are someone will go early, but personally I'd sit back and take Oleg Markov from SA instead. I rate him as having the better skills and better speed, he just hasn't gotten on the park this year so Menadue has the performances on the board.

Sorry Chris you need to get a tape of Sunday's game. His rate of improvement in the last couple of years has been dramatic, and he is lightning quick and a super decision maker when going full pace which is very rare. I would back him to beat Pickett over 50 metres so Markov would want to be fast.

Sorry Chris you need to get a tape of Sunday's game. His rate of improvement in the last couple of years has been dramatic, and he is lightning quick and a super decision maker when going full pace which is very rare. I would back him to beat Pickett over 50 metres so Markov would want to be fast.

I'm not arguing any of that though. Menadue is quick. And he has improved a lot, and I said he has a lot improvement still to come. I praised his skills and decision making, just noted that he isn't an absolutely elite ball user as some people might be making him out to be. His game on the weekend was the best he has played all year, but you can't base everything off of one game - which I know you aren't, but this recent spike in interest suggests that some are. And the couple of matches before that were much quieter. Just seems like not many people are talking about his weaknesses, which he must have otherwise he'd be the #1 pick.

And just on Oleg Markov, he runs about a 2.90 second 20m sprint with a 15+ beep test and excellent vertical leap. He is a very good athlete.

I'm not arguing any of that though. Menadue is quick. And he has improved a lot, and I said he has a lot improvement still to come. I praised his skills and decision making, just noted that he isn't an absolutely elite ball user as some people might be making him out to be. His game on the weekend was the best he has played all year, but you can't base everything off of one game - which I know you aren't, but this recent spike in interest suggests that some are. And the couple of matches before that were much quieter. Just seems like not many people are talking about his weaknesses, which he must have otherwise he'd be the #1 pick.

And just on Oleg Markov, he runs about a 2.90 second 20m sprint with a 15+ beep test and excellent vertical leap. He is a very good athlete.

Sheahan was saying I think last week that Fyfe didn't look that great until the last game of the year in a final where he was brilliant. I think you can take alot out of just one game or very few. But they musty be judged in context I guess.

Sheahan was saying I think last week that Fyfe didn't look that great until the last game of the year in a final where he was brilliant. I think you can take alot out of just one game or very few. But they musty be judged in context I guess.

Just on Fyfe, was his name regularly floated about on here in 2009 Chris25?

Pre draft, was Avatar rated the equal of Duncan, Lucas and Morabito?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on Fyfe, was his name regularly floated about on here in 2009 Chris25?

Pre draft, was Avatar rated the equal of Duncan, Lucas and Morabito?

No fyfe wasn't mentioned much at all.
After the championships he improved greatly and had a great backend of the wafl colts season.
The highlight of the season for me was Fyfe playing on Harely Bennell who was younger than him,
Fyfe kicked 4 or 5 on him, but Bennell ran of him for some brilliant 100 metre runs that ended up in goals for Peel.
Peel got thrashed but that match up was a highlight.

Fyfe was considered a second round pick, and was WCE target for that pick.
Freo knew that and used there first to take him.
It was always a race between the two WA clubs to pick him up, as they rated him higher than other clubs.

Watch the 2009 draft day footage. He's had very little to say about Fyfe at the time.

Other than Wright, who do you think are the best ruck prospects in the U18s( preferably being taller than 202 cm)
and which prospects do you think will last to the Rookie draft?

G'day Chris, if Richmond wanted the best small defender in the draft, who would they be looking at?

It's hardly the best group, particularly if you're looking for a combination of run and stopping ability. But really, most small defenders come from late picks and guys who aren't good enough to play midfield at the top level. Harrison Wigg, Clem Smith and Josh Glenn are some of the better rebounding defenders. Alex Neal-Bullen is a good defender, so could maybe play there while he's being developed as a midfielder. Nathan Drummond as a 19 year old, and Teia Miles is one midfielder who may be forced to try to develop his game down back. Josh McGuinness, Daniel McKenzie and Jaden McGrath are some others who I think could fill that role.

Chris25, have you been keeping an eye on Isaiah Miller this year? I know many were surprised he was overlooked last year, do you know if he has had a productive 2014?

I don't tend to watch a lot of VFL. It's a step down in quality from the SANFL, so I figure I may as well just watch the best.

And Miller has been playing in the VFL Development League, so something I definitely don't see much of. Seems as though he has had a quiet year, but has played most of the season. I still think he should have been drafted, and I consider a better talent than Tom Langdon. Hopefully he gets rookied this time around.

Other than Wright, who do you think are the best ruck prospects in the U18s( preferably being taller than 202 cm)
and which prospects do you think will last to the Rookie draft?

I think they'll all last to the rookie draft, with the exception of Wright.

The ruckman invited to the Combine were Braydon Preuss, Tom Read, Rowan Marshall and Marc Pittonet. You could make a case for including Jack Cripps too. Hardly a stellar bunch. I rate Read as a ruck/forward and Preuss has potential as a rookie, but I'd be leaving the others. Mark Kovecevic and Reilly O'Brien received state combine invites, but I wouldn't bother with those two. Peter Spurling would be a decent pick as that athletic type, with Sam Baulderstone being the obvious mature aged ruck prospect.

Call it SA bias, but I'd only have Read, Spurling and Baulderstone on my list.

Hey Chris,
How do you rate Darcy Moore in this draft? is he a bargain or fair price at pick 8/9?

Now if only there was a post in this thread that succinctly had all of the phantom drafter's views in the one post...

Hey Chris,
How do you rate Darcy Moore in this draft? is he a bargain or fair price at pick 8/9?

Fair price I'd say. Off the top of my head, I'd rate the talls something like...

1. Patrick McCartin
2. Sam Durdin
3. Jake Lever
4. Peter Wright
5. Darcy Moore
6. Hugh Goddard
7. Tom Lamb
8. Jeremy Finlayson
9. Caleb Marchbank
10. Reece McKenzie

So sprinkle in a couple of smalls, and Collingwood's pick would be about market price for Moore.

It's hardly the best group, particularly if you're looking for a combination of run and stopping ability. But really, most small defenders come from late picks and guys who aren't good enough to play midfield at the top level. Harrison Wigg, Clem Smith and Josh Glenn are some of the better rebounding defenders. Alex Neal-Bullen is a good defender, so could maybe play there while he's being developed as a midfielder. Nathan Drummond as a 19 year old, and Teia Miles is one midfielder who may be forced to try to develop his game down back. Josh McGuinness, Daniel McKenzie and Jaden McGrath are some others who I think could fill that role.

I don't tend to watch a lot of VFL. It's a step down in quality from the SANFL, so I figure I may as well just watch the best.

And Miller has been playing in the VFL Development League, so something I definitely don't see much of. Seems as though he has had a quiet year, but has played most of the season. I still think he should have been drafted, and I consider a better talent than Tom Langdon. Hopefully he gets rookied this time around.

I think they'll all last to the rookie draft, with the exception of Wright.

The ruckman invited to the Combine were Braydon Preuss, Tom Read, Rowan Marshall and Marc Pittonet. You could make a case for including Jack Cripps too. Hardly a stellar bunch. I rate Read as a ruck/forward and Preuss has potential as a rookie, but I'd be leaving the others. Mark Kovecevic and Reilly O'Brien received state combine invites, but I wouldn't bother with those two. Peter Spurling would be a decent pick as that athletic type, with Sam Baulderstone being the obvious mature aged ruck prospect.

Call it SA bias, but I'd only have Read, Spurling and Baulderstone on my list.

Could you please give us some more info on tom read? weaknesses, strengths preferred foot? Very hard to find a detailed bio of him as nobody has included him in their phantom/power rankings

OK I know you wrote it to make people bite and yes you have hooked me in, however can I have one bit of evidence why you think the SANFL is even close to Vfl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back