Prediction Your 2020 Best 22 (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

This idiot is gonna have a go at how we line up round 1

Plowman - Jones - Simpson

Doc - weitering - Newman

Newnes - Cripps - Walsh

Kruezer - setterfield - Murphy

Fisher - McKay - Martin

Betts - Kennedy - CAZ

Cunningham - SPS - GOV - ED

UNLUCKY:

Gibbo: outshone by Martin and fisher imo
Marchy: first in if injuries down back. Or could replace Newnes.
Jsos: could replace ED on bench if Mids are humming without him.
WILLO: Newman wins on exposed form.

Dow/O’Brien et al to get killer instinct at northern.

Alright guys who’d I miss?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
BIG LEVI, our best player v Collingwood and a lock for rd.1.
Keeps improving the big lump

So pre-Marsh Series and following the extensive and fantastic coverage from our track waters, this is how I'm seeing the Round 1 side shaping up:

BacksL. PlowmanL. JonesT. Williamson
H-BacksS. DochertyJ. WeiteringK. Simpson
Comment: Doc and Willo were sublime during the praccy match - both looked like they belonged and (most importantly) super confident in their bodies.

CentreW. SetterfieldE. CurnowM. Murphy
RuckM. KreuzerP. CrippsS. Walsh
Comment: Setters and Walsh are destined to be the young mids to step up in 2020 and support Crippa, Murph and Ed.

J. SilvagniL. CasboultJ. Martin
E. BettsH. McKayM. McGovern
Comment: Casboult will play 22 games and is vital to a developing McKay, who's tracking for Round 1 despite being underdone. McGovern will probably be in the same boat but has had a fantastic off-season. Martin and Betts add creatively and intensity that we've lacked for too long, and Jack is just so important to our repeat efforts and link up coming into the forward line.

S. Petrevski-SetonN. NewmanJ. Newnes
L. O'BrienD. CuninghamM. Gibbons
Z. Fisher
Comment: This is where the tough calls will be made. Trying to cut 3 of these names will be hard. SPS is a lock regardless of Marsh game time, and a large part of me has Newman locked in as well. Gibbons will very likely be named and play well in Round 1 as well.

Fish, LOB, Newnes and Cunners are the ones who need a few standout games to cement a spot in my mind. They'll get every opportunity.
Love your team except one. Marchbank, rate him highly and when fit a gun.

This exercise is so hard this year. I didn’t include CC.

Couldn’t find a spot for JSOS, Marchbank or Newman. Reckon Simmo gets pushed out at some stage. Think Dow & O’Brien are in the 26-30 group. Can’t see how we fit CC & Marchbank into this side without a big name dropping out (is McGov a given?)

But honestly, what team ever has an entire injury free list to pick from.

Back 6:
Plowman, Jones, SPS
Williamson, Weitering, Docherty

Midfield 6:
Kreuzer, Cripps, Setterfield
Walsh, Murphy, Newnes

Forward 6:
McGov, Harry, Eddie
Gibbons, Levi, Martin

Bench:
Cuningham, Ed, Fisher, Simmo

Thoughts?

Newnes and Martin gotta earn it first !
Need to play bloody well in pre season games to be considered before Jsos (what does he have to do to get some lovín?)
or Caleb. Even Kennedy for that matter. I think we are forgetting how good his last month of 2019 up front was.
Like you however I agree the little "Gibbon "may struggle to get a spot after playing 22 last year and being a real asset.

Last edited:
This exercise is so hard this year. I didn’t include CC.

Couldn’t find a spot for JSOS, Marchbank or Newman. Reckon Simmo gets pushed out at some stage. Think Dow & O’Brien are in the 26-30 group. Can’t see how we fit CC & Marchbank into this side without a big name dropping out (is McGov a given?)

But honestly, what team ever has an entire injury free list to pick from.

Back 6:
Plowman, Jones, SPS
Williamson, Weitering, Docherty

Midfield 6:
Kreuzer, Cripps, Setterfield
Walsh, Murphy, Newnes

Forward 6:
McGov, Harry, Eddie
Gibbons, Levi, Martin

Bench:
Cuningham, Ed, Fisher, Simmo

Thoughts?

Don't mind it at all. While I would shuffle the magnets a little, it's a solid 22

Newnes and Martin gotta earn it first !
Need to play bloody well in pre season games to be considered before Jsos (what does he have to do to get some lovín?)
or Caleb. Even Kennedy for that matter. I think we are forgetting how good his last month of 2019 up front was.
Like you however I agree the little "Gibbon "may struggle to get a spot after playing 22 last year and being a real asset.

I'm not even going to attempt another best 22 until I see the pre-season games.

I could get behind any one of 32 players being in our best 22 at this stage. What a feeling it is to have such depth.

I'm not even going to attempt another best 22 until I see the pre-season games.

I could get behind any one of 32 players being in our best 22 at this stage. What a feeling it is to have such depth.

You can and having ones own favoured squad may well differ to that we put on the ground, first up.
I do though feel that sometimes quality has to be put on stand-by, for the sake of squad balance.

What will likely be the case, is that this years starting 22 could be quite different to what will front up next year.
Given who I feel won't be on show come round 1, to the players/types that may be there next year - Could be up to 10 changes.

Good little exercise:
Have a look at how past round 1 lineups compare to now:

IMG_4889.JPG

IMG_4890.JPG

Gee our list has gotten better. Even with the development of most of those players. First year Dow made it in! I love Dow but this difference cannot be understated, third year Dow can’t make it in now but 1st year Dow could back then. BIG difference in the squad now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't mind it at all. While I would shuffle the magnets a little, it's a solid 22

Thanks - the FF line is the Harry line, not the Levi line. I’ve written them back to front. Pre season games and these last few training weeks will certainly be important for those ~28 players in contention!

RD1

FB Williamson Jones Weitering
HB Docherty Marchbank Newman
C Cunningham Cripps SPS
HF Martin Casboult Murphy
F McGovern McKay Betts

R Kreuzer Setterfield Walsh

Int Simpson, Silvagni, E.Curnow, Fisher

Emergency Plowman Dow Newnes

If fit Marchbank plays over Plowman for mine. On the bench Silvagni gives us more flexibility at both ends than Plowman. 4 or 5 other guys could also make claims which is exciting.

Last edited:
FB: Petrevski-Seton -- Jones -- Plowman
HB: Docherty -- Weitering -- Simpson

C: Murphy -- Walsh -- Setterfield
R: Kreuzer -- Cripps -- E. Curnow

HF: Martin -- Casboult -- Fisher
FF: Betts -- McKay -- McGovern

Int: Williamson -- J. Silvagni -- Gibbons -- Dow
Emg: Marchbank -- O'Brien -- Newman

Just can't get my head around generalization comments of players "fighting/not fighting for the same/different spots". While that might be true for ruckmen and KPP's and to a large extent general backmen, most others are competing with a larger number of their teammates for a position

If you take the forward line as an example, there would be a number of spots taken, based on KPF and better output. Considering these midfielders are also locks, Cripps, Walsh, Ed, Murphy, Setterfield)

Martin - Levi(in Charlie's absence) - McGovern
Betts - TDK (if Harry isn't right) - ????

Despite the different types and styles of players, the list of contenders for forward (or mid/forward or bench) roles is long. SPS, Fisher, Cuners, Newnes, Dow, Kennedy, Jack, LOB, Stocker, Philp, Lang, most of which have enough flexibility to cover in other areas

As an example, if we were narrowing it down to two completely different players for the last spot, Kennedy and Newnes, either would be making a case if their output warrants it and both gives us flexibility to spend time in other areas

As stated, i just don't get it, nor do I think it is correct

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, why don't we have a chat about it then? :

Some players are simply suited to doing something better than others.
There are players that make for better defenders and some that make for better forwards.....some can play both ends of the ground and some just can't......and then there's team balance and cohesion.

Just plopping a list of names down as though they're interchangeable, just simply doesn't play out that way.....and this is my opinion based on observation.

EDIT - Uh oh, we're doing that thing all over again now, aren't we? :)

Just can't get my head around generalization comments of players "fighting/not fighting for the same/different spots". While that might be true for ruckmen and KPP's and to a large extent general backmen, most others are competing with a larger number of their teammates for a position

If you take the forward line as an example, there would be a number of spots taken, based on KPF and better output. Considering these midfielders are also locks, Cripps, Walsh, Ed, Murphy, Setterfield)

Martin - Levi(in Charlie's absence) - McGovern
Betts - TDK (if Harry isn't right) - ????

Despite the different types and styles of players, the list of contenders for forward (or mid/forward or bench) roles is long. SPS, Fisher, Cuners, Newnes, Dow, Kennedy, Jack, LOB, Stocker, Philp, Lang, most of which have enough flexibility to cover in other areas

As an example, if we were narrowing it down to two completely different players for the last spot, Kennedy and Newnes, either would be making a case if their output warrants it and both gives us flexibility to spend time in other areas

I agree with the first part, but not with the hypothetical of Kennedy VS Newnes for the last spot. One is a forward/perhaps mid. The other is a wing/HBF. They are not competing for the same spot.

But you could make the argument that 2 different forwards, eg Jack and Gibbo, are competing for the same spot. Or perhaps De Koning, vs whichever player we would otherwise pick as our 7th forward.

Well, why don't we have a chat about it then? :

Some players are simply suited to doing something better than others.
There are players that make for better defenders and some that make for better forwards.....some can play both ends of the ground and some just can't......and then there's team balance and cohesion.

Just plopping a list of names down as though they're interchangeable, just simply doesn't play out that way.....and this is my opinion based on observation.

EDIT - Uh oh, we're doing that thing all over again now, aren't we? :)

Healthy discussion is fine Harks

Bring it back to my example of forwards and mids of the non KPF variety

While we all postulate around talent, ultimately output will always wins the selection argument

I will expand the example: 2 spots on the line

If Jack, Kennedy, Newnes and Gibbons (these 4 seem on the cusp of selection with most people) if two of those players have a sizable output, over the other 2, why would people state they aren't fighting for the same spot, despite being different types

Last edited:
I agree with the first part, but not with the hypothetical of Kennedy VS Newnes for the last spot. One is a forward/perhaps mid. The other is a wing/HBF. They are not competing for the same spot.

But you could make the argument that 2 different forwards, eg Jack and Gibbo, are competing for the same spot. Or perhaps De Koning, vs whichever player we would otherwise pick as our 7th forward.

This is exactly what I mean, you are missing the point.

Forget about perceived strengths or limitations, just consider output.

If Gibbons and Newnes are kicking 3 goals/16 disposals a game, while Kennedy and Jack are producing less than half that output, it has nothing to do with the type of player or structure. The same can be said in reverse

This is exactly what I mean, you are missing the point.

Forget about perceived strengths or limitations, just consider output.

If Gibbons and Newnes are kicking 3 goals/16 disposals a game, while Kennedy and Jack are producing less than half that output, it has nothing to do with the type of player or structure. The same can be said in reverse

We're not going to be playing Newnes in the forwardline though. He's not a forward. It's a major reason why he left St Kilda.

We're not going to be playing Newnes in the forwardline though. He's not a forward. It's a major reason why he left St Kilda.

Stamos you continue to miss the point.

Forget preconceptions, just consider output. If Newnes finds his way in the forward line, has career best output early in the season, why would he not remain in the side as a forward?

Because most have labeled him a wingmen?

Take you back again, depending on output alone, whether a player is a 3rd tall/relief mid, or an onballer/relief forward, they should/will get picked on output of goals/contribution to the side

Nothing to do with different types not fighting for the same spot

Stamos you continue to miss the point.

Forget preconceptions, just consider output. If Newnes finds his way in the forward line, has career best output early in the season, why would he not remain in the side as a forward?

Because most have labeled him a wingmen?

Take you back again, depending on output alone, whether a player is a 3rd tall/relief mid, or an onballer/relief forward, they should/will get picked on output of goals/contribution to the side

Nothing to do with different types not fighting for the same spot

In 155 games, Newnes has managed to kick more than 2 goals on 2 occasions. Why don't we base our hypotheticals in reality?

We didn't recruit him as a forward. He hasn't been training as a forward. He hasn't been playing praccy matches in the forwardline, and his output in those matches do not suggest he's forced his way into the forwardline.

How do you figure that he is competing for a forward spot?

In 155 games, Newnes has managed to kick more than 2 goals on 2 occasions. Why don't we base our hypotheticals in reality?

We didn't recruit him as a forward. He hasn't been training as a forward. He hasn't been playing praccy matches in the forwardline, and his output in those matches do not suggest he's forced his way into the forwardline.

How do you figure that he is competing for a forward spot?

Stamos, use any names you like for the exercise if that suits you better.

If a 3rd tall/mid has half the output of a medium tall/mid, the medium size player will get a spot in the team. The same goes if the output is reversed

It's that simple

If a 3rd tall/mid has half the output of a medium tall/mid, the medium size player will get a spot in the team. The same goes if the output is reversed

It's that simple

Of course.

It's just silly to use Newnes' name to make that argument, because he is neither.

Of course.

It's just silly to use Newnes' name to make that argument, because he is neither.

Stamos, please don't get caught up with the names and things do change quickly, l mean Levi has shown that, Jones and even SPS going to the backline, Kennedy forward.

So players of different types are can still be fighting it out for the same spot, yeah?

Not sure why you even wanted to debate it, given you now agree

It's that simple
Given our relatively strong backline vs our current fragile fwd line, is there any merit in giving Marchbank a run up forward to see what he can do? With CC out for who know when, Harry and MM TOUCH and go, and Kennedy / JSOS not really setting the world on fire, I reckon Marchbank could prove to be a valuable short term alternative in the forwards...maybe...

It's that simple
You're telling people to consider output, while turning Newnes and Gibbons into 60+ goal kicking forwards to debate an argument that no one has made.
Stamos, please don't get caught up with the names
It's a best 22 thread. Names are associated with output so of course they're relevant.

What non fanciful examples are there of a player producing twice the output of another, yet being overlooked due to positioning?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back