Prediction Your 2020 Best 22 (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

I really think this is very close to our starting 22, but I would like to make some tweaks:

Plowman - Jones - Simpson

Doc - weitering - Willo

Newnes - Cripps - Walsh

Kruezer - setterfield - Murphy

Fisher - McKay - Martin

Betts - Kennedy - GOV

Cunningham - SPS - JSOS- ED

UNLUCKY:
CAZ - team is too top heavy with all of McKay,Gov & CAZ
Newman: Willo just seems he is really ready to break out; so Newman has to fight with Willo & Simpson

The rest, I agree with you
So, can I lock this best 22 Rd1 in. Willo is in there already!

So pre-Marsh Series and following the extensive and fantastic coverage from our track waters, this is how I'm seeing the Round 1 side shaping up:

BacksL. PlowmanL. JonesT. Williamson
H-BacksS. DochertyJ. WeiteringK. Simpson
Comment: Doc and Willo were sublime during the praccy match - both looked like they belonged and (most importantly) super confident in their bodies.

CentreW. SetterfieldE. CurnowM. Murphy
RuckM. KreuzerP. CrippsS. Walsh
Comment: Setters and Walsh are destined to be the young mids to step up in 2020 and support Crippa, Murph and Ed.

J. SilvagniL. CasboultJ. Martin
E. BettsH. McKayM. McGovern
Comment: Casboult will play 22 games and is vital to a developing McKay, who's tracking for Round 1 despite being underdone. McGovern will probably be in the same boat but has had a fantastic off-season. Martin and Betts add creatively and intensity that we've lacked for too long, and Jack is just so important to our repeat efforts and link up coming into the forward line.

S. Petrevski-SetonN. NewmanJ. Newnes
L. O'BrienD. CuninghamM. Gibbons
Z. Fisher

Comment: This is where the tough calls will be made. Trying to cut 3 of these names will be hard. SPS is a lock regardless of Marsh game time, and a large part of me has Newman locked in as well. Gibbons will very likely be named and play well in Round 1 as well.

Fish, LOB, Newnes and Cunners are the ones who need a few standout games to cement a spot in my mind. They'll get every opportunity.

Last edited:
So pre-Marsh Series and following the extensive and fantastic coverage from our track waters, this is how I'm seeing the Round 1 side shaping up:

Comment: Doc and Willo were sublime during the praccy match - both looked like they belonged and (most importantly) super confident in their bodies.

Comment: Setters and Walsh are destined to be the young mids to step up in 2020 and support Crippa, Murph and Ed.

Comment: Casboult will play 22 games and is vital to a developing McKay, who's tracking for Round 1 despite being underdone. McGovern will probably be in the same boat but has had a fantastic off-season. Martin and Betts add creatively and intensity that we've lacked for too long, and Jack is just so important to our repeat efforts and link up coming into the forward line.

Z. Fisher

Comment: This is where the touch calls will be made. Trying to cut 3 of these names will be hard. SPS is a lock regardless of Marsh game time, and a large part of me has Newman locked in as well. Gibbons will very likely be named and play well in Round 1 as well.

Fish, LOB, Newnes and Cunners are the ones who need a few standout games to cement a spot in my mind. They'll get every opportunity.
That's a great assessment

The last 4 bench is pretty hard, it is who I'd lije to play vs who I think will be selected. A case can be put up for each player there. Probably add Dow too.

So, I think: SPS, Newnes, Fisher and Cuningham

Gibbo misses out - just, but it was him or Cunners

Comment: This is where the touch calls will be made. Trying to cut 3 of these names will be hard. SPS is a lock regardless of Marsh game time, and a large part of me has Newman locked in as well. Gibbons will very likely be named and play well in Round 1 as well.

Samo, Cuningham, Fisher and then Newnes/LOB

And that's if Marchy is not considered.

I left last night when after the 6th quarter when it was seemingly every rookie selection and players with less than 20 games experience. Taking that, plus the expectation that we have a few names return to the side over the official preseason games, has me thinking maybe this for round 1....

FB: Plowman, Jones, Simpson
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Williamson

FOL: Kreuzer, Curnow, Setterfield
C: Murphy, Cripps, Walsh

HF: Fisher, Casboult, Martin
FF: Betts, McKay, McGovern

INT: Marchbank, Petrevski-Seton, Newnes, Cuningham

EMG: Pittonet, Newman, Gibbons, Silvagni

I feel for the emergencies and some of the next in line blokes... honorable mentions go to Dow, O'Brien, Philp, TDK, Kennedy, and Honey.

Of course all of this is subject to change after the first and/or second community cup games or any time before the bounce for round 1. Perhaps even after the bounce in hindsight...

So, can I lock this best 22 Rd1 in. Willo is in there already!
Who rucks if Kruezer goes down. Mackay?

Levi taking Kennedy's spot is the easy fix for that.

It'd be pretty interesting to see a consensus over/under for Levi's games played this year. I get the feeling we'd still see answers varying from sub-5 to 22.

Levi taking Kennedy's spot is the easy fix for that.

It'd be pretty interesting to see a consensus over/under for Levi's games played this year. I get the feeling we'd still see answers varying from sub-5 to 22.

Assuming he's fit, I think he'll play every single game that Charlie, Harry, McGovern, Weitering and Jones miss, at a minimum. Likely plays more than that.

Who rucks if Kruezer goes down. Mackay?
Levi and Harry to share duties - 10/10% split each with 80% to Kreuz. Levi was fantastic backup last year so no reason he can't do it again.

TDK could make things easier if he makes the opening side - perhaps if Harry or Gov aren't ready.

Levi and Harry to share duties - 10/10% split each with 80% to Kreuz. Levi was fantastic backup last year so no reason he can't do it again.

TDK could make things easier if he makes the opening side - perhaps if Harry or Gov aren't ready.
i asked the question because levi was not included in the posters 22.

Assuming he's fit, I think he'll play every single game that Charlie, Harry, McGovern, Weitering and Jones miss, at a minimum. Likely plays more than that.
I have no doubt he will play all 22 games.
I'm putting him at 15+.

Considering Charlie is probably going to miss a dozen games that's potentially half a season in the bank for Levi. In the second half I reckon he still plays more often than not.

Allow for a couple of games where he's sore/sick/injured, maybe even a game where he's left out due to form or team structure?

Maybe I'll change my answer to 17+...

Z. Fisher
Comment: This is where the tough calls will be made. Trying to cut 3 of these names will be hard. SPS is a lock regardless of Marsh game time, and a large part of me has Newman locked in as well. Gibbons will very likely be named and play well in Round 1 as well.

I think you could add Marchbank & Kennedy to those bench spots, both are around the mark. I guess Dow too though i don't see him in our best 22.

Crazy to think our list is in such a position where some of these names will be relegated to our VFL team...in years gone by players of their quality would basically be best 22 locks.

Let's say a bench of: SPS / Cunners / Gibbons / Fisher

That would mean Newman/Newnes/LOB/Marchbank/Kennedy/Dow being forced to play 2's which is kinda crazy from where our list used to be. Some pretty solid names there. Then there's other high draft picks like Stocker/Philp/Kemp coming through as well. And we're not even including Charlie Curnow in the discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a painful exercise.

My field is exactly the same as CJMB.

Bench is where it gets super difficult.

Based on training observations, SPS and Cuningham should be walk-up starts. They are super dangerous and we need as many skilled ball users and runners as possible.

So, for me it is between Silvagni, Gibbons, Newnes and O'Brien for the final two spots. Dow, Kennedy, Stocker, Newman and others are further back on my assessment, in terms of what they add to the listed best 22.

It really is awfully hard, but I go with Silvagni, because I know that I am getting 110% effort, pressure, intensity and commitment every game, no questions asked.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if the MC go with Newnes and Gibbons instead for round 1, probably in place of Cuningham and Fisher, which would hurt. Richmond are a bunch of tough mother*ers, though, so mature bodies may be favoured.

Nonetheless...

Bench: Gibbons, SPS, Cuningham, Silvagni

Let's go cause some damage.

Last edited:
This is a painful exercise.

My field is exactly the same as CJMB.

Bench is where it gets super difficult.

Bench: Fisher, SPS, Cuningham, Silvagni

Let's go cause some damage.
Fisher on HF and on the bench......I know he’s quick but that’s a bit of an ask. 😀

Not a best 22 rather a theoretical rnd 1 team (yes I know it's not what the thread title says but what the hell)

Plow Jones Simmo
Doc Weiters Willo
Newnes Crippa Newman
Jack M Jack S Fish
Mc Gov Levi Eddie

Krueze Walsh Setters

Ed Murph Gibbo Cunners

Assuming Harry and Marchy won't get up and given the HB options couldn't find a spot for SPS.

Going to be interesting if at some stage these scenarios pop up.

We discover some youngsters who are really valuable as small forwards. Philip and Honey in particular but can not write Ramsay off. I think it's likely we will see enough from one or two to make some of us want them in the side.

Our reserve midfielders are regularly over 30+ possessions and are playing damaging football. Dow, Stocker, Kennedy etc.

Cuningham and/or Martin are proving just too good to keep out of the midfield.

All of our defenders are fit and playing really good football. Docherty, Williamson, Weitering and Jones are all lock IMO. Newman, Simpson, Marchbank, SPS and Plowman will be the next rung below them. It's a good list.

Casboult, McKay and Curnow are all fit and all fit into the same side at some stage. I think they could but do McGovern, Silvagni and/or Kennedy fit in as well?
Got to say, unlike previous seasons I'm not worried by a few injuries.

I'll have a stab at our round 1 side but it's still too early and too hard to pick. As I said above, there's plenty which could happen to change all this.

B: Simpson Jones Plowman
HB: Docherty Weitering Williamson
C: Murphy Cripps Walsh
HF: Cuningham Casboult Martin
F: McGovern McKay Betts
OB: Kreuzer Curnow Setterfield
IC: Newman Silvagni Newnes Gibbons
EM: Fisher SPS Marchbank O'Brien
INJ: Curnow

Hopefully see a harder running and very good two way running half forward and half back line. See a few more rotate through the midfield. See our lesser players playing better football and see us a lot better at running up and down the ground at speed. I think our run, physicality and pressure are key, if all those things improve just a little I think we play finals.

Last edited:

We discover some youngsters who are really valuable as small forwards. Philip and Honey in particular but can not write Ramsay off. I think it's likely we will see enough from one or two to make some of us want them in the side.

Our reserve midfielders are regularly over 30+ possessions and are playing damaging football. Dow, Stocker, Kennedy etc.

All of our defenders are fit and playing really good football. Docherty, Williamson, Weitering and Jones are all lock IMO. Newman, Simpson, Marchbank, SPS and Plowman will be the next rung below them. It's a good list.

Casboult, McKay and Curnow are all fit and all fit into the same side at some stage. I think they could but do McGovern, Silvagni and/or Kennedy fit in as well?

I'll have a stab at our round 1 side but it's still too early and too hard to pick. As I said above, there's plenty which could happen to change all this.

C: Newnes Cripps Murphy
IC: Newman Silvagni Fisher Gibbons
EM: SPS Kennedy Marchbank O'Brien

Hopefully see a harder running and very good two wayunning half forward line. See a few more rotate through the midfield. See our lesser players playing better football and see us a lot better at running up and down the ground at speed. I think our run, physicality and pressure are key, if all those things improve just a little I think we play finals.

Wow Walsh and SPS missing from round 1

C: Newnes Cripps Murphy
IC: Newman Silvagni Fisher Gibbons
EM: SPS Kennedy Marchbank O'Brien

Hopefully see a harder running and very good two wayunning half forward line. See a few more rotate through the midfield. See our lesser players playing better football and see us a lot better at running up and down the ground at speed. I think our run, physicality and pressure are key, if all those things improve just a little I think we play finals.
This looks like the most likely 22.

Unless of course SPS is fit, then I would swap Newman for SPS - done!

Just saw above post.
Gibbons out for Walsh too

Wow Walsh and SPS missing from round 1

Good spot. Walsh no chance of missing. SPS is probable. Those backline spots are going to be red hot.

This looks like the most likely 22.

Unless of course SPS is fit, then I would swap Newman for SPS - done!

Just saw above post.
Gibbons out for Walsh too

Fixed it, Gibbons stays Fisher out. That's going on last year's footy, Gibbons was well ahead but I would not be surprised to see Fisher take a bit leap. Has a lot of ability just needs to hard edge and a bit more impact up forward which Gibbons seems to already have.

No doubt there will be some fine lines in selecting the team. We will have played missing and players being selected purely because they had a better training week or their fitness levels are a little higher or their hardness and 1%ers are a little better or their disposal is a little better or they are a little quicker or cleaner.

I have created a Tierlist for anyone to use

FWIW here is my TierList post Pies practice match.

View attachment 828968

View attachment 828969

I reckon Philp is the one to watch.

He might be developing but I'd say he's on the fringe of our best 22. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets games early because he definitely looked good against Collingwood.

Marchbank and Casboult are safely in our best 22 for my liking. Casboult is in sensational form and Marchbank is the forgotten man.

I reckon Philp is the one to watch.

He might be developing but I'd say he's on the fringe of our best 22. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets games early because he definitely looked good against Collingwood.

Marchbank and Casboult are safely in our best 22 for my liking. Casboult is in sensational form and Marchbank is the forgotten man.

Re Philp- you might be right. I hope you are- but for me at this early stage ie post collingwood practice match he is still developing.
Re Marchbank and Casboult- both have proved great players - but they have to displace someone first- casboult waits for a tall to go down. marchbank for a defender/wingman IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back