Opinion Your 3 to watch - Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Understand poor Flynn hurt his hip again! Now bitten the bullet and gone in for surgery - won’t be seeing him until early rounds…. Joining Willis who has also had a tidy up around the hip. Hoping they both get a break to prove themselves…
Shattering news if that is recent.. Where has that been cited?

Understand poor Flynn hurt his hip again! Now bitten the bullet and gone in for surgery - won’t be seeing him until early rounds…. Joining Willis who has also had a tidy up around the hip. Hoping they both get a break to prove themselves…
Oh man those two have had a rough first 14 months

Shattering news if that is recent.. Where has that been cited?
Not official but I have heard it on pretty good authority. Agree it is terrible news. only hope is that this is a proper fix

Tom Atkins for me, he is in peak age. He will go another level. We all thought he became a player in defence last year I think in 2021, and when he moved to the midfield this year (2022) he did very well, especially when some matches were in the balance. You watch 2023, I wouldn't be surprised if he polls very well in our BnF, maybe top 3. He will do all the hard stuff if he doesn't get the ball. Tackles, harass, pressure, etc etc.

1. Jack Bowes - I like him, but it seems wild that the club has basically promised he'll walk straight into our starting midfield.
2. Esava Ratugolea - can he become a best 22 KPD?
3. Shannon Neale - Hawk's injury is a blessing for him, he'll play rd 1 alongside Jez, hope he goes well.

Honourable mentions:
Sam Simpson - hope he makes a comeback, could be a very handy addition.
Ollie Dempsey - could be anything but I think he's still another year away.
Jhye Clark - feel he won't leave any stone unturned, could debut rd 1.
Tanner Bruhn - not sold on him but hope he proves me wrong.
James Willis - get the eerie feeling he'll be perpetually injured.
Toby Conway - huge hype on him, but he's probably another year or two away.
Mitch Knevitt - I have rated what I've seen, but needs size.

1. Jack Bowes - I like him, but it seems wild that the club has basically promised he'll walk straight into our starting midfield.
2. Esava Ratugolea - can he become a best 22 KPD?
3. Shannon Neale - Hawk's injury is a blessing for him, he'll play rd 1 alongside Jez, hope he goes well.

Honourable mentions:
Sam Simpson - hope he makes a comeback, could be a very handy addition.
Ollie Dempsey - could be anything but I think he's still another year away.
Jhye Clark - feel he won't leave any stone unturned, could debut rd 1.
Tanner Bruhn - not sold on him but hope he proves me wrong.
James Willis - get the eerie feeling he'll be perpetually injured.
Toby Conway - huge hype on him, but he's probably another year or two away.
Mitch Knevitt - I have rated what I've seen, but needs size.
Good summary - including honourable mentions more than 2x the number to watch! 😯

Other than Sav and Sam (and maybe James if he doesnt get a crack) all those others dont need to have stand out years in 2023. so really a watch for the future. Which is pretty exciting. They don’t have to be pushed ahead of when they are ready given the strengrth of our team - but one of two might surprise.

Interesting that you didn’t have the new Ollie on your extended watch list - I know it is your post (!) but he is of interest to me as not 100% he lives up to the “drama” around trade

Neale should be good, need to resign him! Had a chat to him and he said he’s really looking forward to hopefully getting a bit more of an opportunity, I think he’s happy down here.

I hope we don't because surely that's the worse outcome

Wouldn't the preferred option be to re-sign him and keep him in the Hoops?

I hope we don't because surely that's the worse outcome

Wouldn't the preferred option be to re-sign him and keep him in the Hoops?

images

As annoying as the Clark/Clarke discussions over recent seasons has been, and likely to be reignited again with the addition of Jhye, we do generally know who ones talking about

But it's use of 'resign vs re-sign" I find vastly more frustrating because that have totally opposite meanings, and it can be harder to distinguish which word one actually means to use because sometimes it does feel like one "would like to resign Player X"

Plus, I'm pretty sure that when it comes to one's own employment situation that they'd be much more careful when distinguishing between the two words

Im interested in the Cats jagging a couple more flags in the next few years

(1) Tyson Stengle - walked in the door - became a very talented small forward for Geel- good kick - mark - crumber the lot - and was super important -All Aust selection - there were at least 7 games i think where he kicked at least 3 goals - Geel at last had a skillful dangerous small forward - hes 23 - so he is perfectly placed to have a top notch career

(2) Isaac Smith - did win the Norm Smith Medal in the GF - I allways liked him at the Hawks - quick and a booming kick . Hes an important player with those attributes - how will he go in season 2023 - how much juice is left in the tank- or will the Orange warning light come on in 2023

(3) Max Holmes - with the breakaway pace - and his great desire - eg 3rd qtr of that Melb PF - Gawn unstoppable - Holmes at least chased him and tried to stop him ( where as alot of other Geel players had just about given up ). Holmes could be on the verge of being a superstar ( hopefully ) and with Joel retired - the spot is their for him . It would be great to have a young - lightning quick midfielder playing for Geelong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My two bobs worth.....there is so much to watch next year its hard to pick but..

1. Zac Guthrie. Wow what a rise last year and I still think there is more to go. If improved physically and in how he is used, his skill set off half back will allow him more opportunities to punish opponents. If elevated to a prime mover what he offers is mouth watering. Penetrating kick, great play reading (always had this), cool . Mackie mark II . Attacking weapon.

2 Tyson Stengle. Just a back up year would be amazing. His skills /confidence/work rate improved game by game last year and he brought his amazing goal kicking skills with him. He backs we can back up.

3. I would have to go Dempsey as number 3. Not a prime mover next year at AFL level, but if the freaky stuff marries output he will always be in selection discussions in 2023. Then 2024.........

1. Neale - has the potential to take Hawk’s spot when he fades. Hopefully Neale will get a run in the team at the start of the season.
2. O. Henry - has something special about him.
3. Daisy Pearce - hopefully she will join and give us a different approach in the coaching group to keep us ahead of the chasing pack.

Realistically its a development year for both and with our no of expected retirements both should be there in 2024.

Realistically its a development year for both and with our no of expected retirements both should be there in 2024.
I hope you are right. Certainly there shouldn’t be any undue pressure on contracts given you would expect more than a handful of them not being extended.

Odds are though that maybe 1 or 2 of the drafts in 2021 don’t see it past year 2 - that is probably just afl average but will be only if they make the call that they aren’t going to make it. Hard for these boys if they don’t get a shot - also hoping Cooper Whyte keeps fit and starts with a bang

Mate you think Bruhn has no talent and you think Bowes has no talent, let's see how they go before you say they are no good
I think (opinion only) that both of them will be great additions. Don’t care if they have an afl impact in 2023 but really important to have depth at that age beyond next year. My understanding is that both of them are ripper kids and certainly fit the Cats ethos… will be tough for them to get games in 2023 but I think they are long term AFL players…

VFL going to be great!

Mate you think Bruhn has no talent and you think Bowes has no talent, let's see how they go before you say they are no good
It completely baffles me whenever I ask someone why they rate Bruhn that I get absolute crickets to the actual question and get these kind of responses.

I think the reality is that it's all based on hope.

I also hope he turns into what he had been described as a junior.

P.S. I don't recall saying Bruhn and Bowes have no talent.

It completely baffles me whenever I ask someone why they rate Bruhn that I get absolute crickets to the actual question and get these kind of responses.
Have you asked anyone on the M.C. at the club, though? Because they would be the only opinions that matter. After all, there's still posters here who can't figure why Quinton isn't around anymore. So just having someone rated around here doesn't count for much in the general scheme of things.

I imagine what's happening with Tanner is simply that people haven't seen enough yet and/or don't believe he has a stand-out trait as a player. Still, any player who goes at #12 in a national draft and then plays 30 senior games in his first two seasons surely can be considered to 'football' at a level that could make them a more than handy AFL player in the long run.

For myself, I haven't seen anything yet to suggest he'll be elite. But I'm more than happy to see him back at home, on our list, and in the best possible system to develop his skills in the future.

I spent a bit of time thinking this one over and I really struggled, so I have 2 seperate 3s, if that's ok.

First 3, or what I call the incumbent 3.

1. Max Holmes. Really looking forward to how he improves his game this next season, and how he goes after missing out on a Premiership.

2. Tyson Stengle. Going to be interesting to see if he can continue the brilliant form he found himself throughout the entire 2022 season.

3. SDK. Same as above. Will he continue the rise to the best tall back in the comp, will he regress, will he stay static, could he fall? I want to find out.

Second 3, the "new" 3.

1. Jhye Clark. It's no secret I was HUGE on this kid, I expect 20 games from him, all things being equal, and I reckon he'll be the best midfielder in our team within 3 seasons (alongside Holmes).

2. Jack Bowes. Will he find a spot? Of course he will, they really have to, so I cannot wait to see what he brings and where he brings it.

3. Ollie Henry. Obvious call, pretty much as above, I'm excited with what he could bring to the forwardline, and I wonder who he could potentially replace in the best forwardline in the comp? With no Hawkins he'll get plenty of opportunity early so let's see what he brings.

2023 will be a highly exciting and interesting season, especially without the pressure of "will they finally break through?!".
Will they break the win streak record? Will they finally go back to back? If they do, are they then above the 07/09 team??
Cannot wait.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back