Your club's biggest short-term list management challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
What do you think is the biggest challenge your list management team is going to face over the next 1-2 seasons?

Is it re-signing a host of players? Managing retirements? Identifying/attracting star talent? Putting a complementary supporting cast around your established stars? Simply maintaining the status quo?

For the Dogs I think it's managing our likely losses in the back half. Hamling is gone; Murphy, Morris and Boyd are all turning 35 this year; and Adams could return home if last year's media reports were accurate.

Their replacements may well come from within, but we haven't seen enough yet. Bailey Williams, Zaine Cordy, Kieran Collins, Brad Lynch and Roarke Smith have been promising to various degrees but haven't quite made the step up (in Cordy's case, in defence) yet.

Managing the young players slightly outside our best 22 and keeping them around. Players like Francis, Laverde, Long, McKenna, Stewart.

Also finding a 2nd KPF so Hooker can play defence.

Still need a bonafide full forward. Taberner is shite, McCarthy will do his best work as a half forward, I don't expect much from Kersten, and who knows about Michael Apeness... I reckon he has the chance to play some good footy because he's not scared of the contest, knows how to get in the right position, and hasn't seemed intimidated but he's prone to a lot of injuries and I don't think old Ross likes the guy.

Don't remind me
Hah. You give Chris Mayne s**t but evidently reckon Wells is a good pick up?

Bloke's body is cooked but even if it wasn't the bloke is an absolute seagull: only plays well when his team does, is far too outsider, doesn't hit the contests, and he's basically just not the sort of bloke you pick up when you need someone to have some guts, hard work, motivation, and passion to drag a team into the finals.

Mayne was dogged by having poor old Pav deal with a few defenders at age 32-34. Mayne didn't fit in really. He was made to play some no nothing role by Ross Lyon. Guy was in no man's land and sort of didn't fit in for the last few years at Fremantle. He won't set the world alight but he won't be a shameful player for Collingwood.

Managing the young players slightly outside our best 22 and keeping them around. Players like Francis, Laverde, Long, McKenna, Stewart.

Also finding a 2nd KPF so Hooker can play defence.
We have Stewart + Begley & Laverde can play 3rd tall and tall mid.
But it would be nice to snare some depth now.

#1 - We need a ruck. A damn good one. I want Grundy, but will cost a lot and i dont think he'll leave.
#2 - Add another elite young midfielder. We have a good number now (Heppell, Merrett, Parish, Francis, Langford, Zaka, Colyer, McGrath). I would like a Hopper/Kennedy/Kelly added to the list, as well as Setterfield in 2018.
#3 - 1x Lock down defender. Someone to stick on the dangerous smalls and negate them, plus rebound.

Not asking much, but we can probably afford to let a couple of years of 1st and 2nd round picks go to line up 1 & 2.
#3 is about identifying someone needing an opportunity.

Bloke's body is cooked but even if it wasn't the bloke is an absolute seagull: only plays well when his team does, is far too outsider, doesn't hit the contests, and he's basically just not the sort of bloke you pick up when you need someone to have some guts, hard work, motivation, and passion to drag a team into the finals.

Mayne was dogged by having poor old Pav deal with a few defenders at age 32-34. Mayne didn't fit in really. He was made to play some no nothing role by Ross Lyon. Guy was in no man's land and sort of didn't fit in for the last few years at Fremantle. He won't set the world alight but he won't be a shameful player for Collingwood.
His body is cooked but he played 19 games in 2016, averaging 23 touches a game almost half of which were contested (therefore he does hit the contest) and averaged the 8th most goal assists per game, and accumulating 12 Brownlow votes. The only plays well when his team plays well call is incorrect also; disposals aren't everything but all three of his 30+ touch games came in losses. He barely played outside all year in 2016. He's nothing but a good recruit if he plays. Picking him up was a no-brainer; he is the exact type of x-factor player needed to get something out of this constantly underperforming team. I'm not sure you thoroughly watched him enough recently.

Anyway, for this thread; re-signing all of our youngsters (Moore, JDG, Grundy, Maynard etc.) whilst maintaining a healthy cap that can see us bring in necessary players when needed. Pursuing a consistent 2nd key forward to sit behind Moore is something that needs to happen quick.

Wow those grapes are sour.

Mayne wasn't the one who was dogged. Pav by having sub standard back up in Mayne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting an elite midfielder, we haven't been able to attract a top midfielder ever since Dangerfield left....

No you were able to attract Gibbs, just didn't satisfy Carlton through trade.

We could have upto ten delistings this year and are going into the draft without a second rounder. Somehow we need to find multiple picks inside the first four rounds or trade future picks to help out.

:cool: Actually we're good. List is as good enough with the proviso that it's fluid and you can't ever stop tweaking and improving.
Club can focus on the off field issues that confront us growing the game into new territory in my view

Club tall defender to replace Dempster as well as an elite midfielder (preferably an outside player with a class). We have supposedly put a big offer to Jake Lever which would be a fantastic get, seems like a loyal type though and don't like seeing Adelaide lose more talent so I guess we can just settle our focus on getting Himmelberg from GWS ;)

We have Stewart + Begley & Laverde can play 3rd tall and tall mid.
But it would be nice to snare some depth now.

#1 - We need a ruck. A damn good one. I want Grundy, but will cost a lot and i dont think he'll leave.
#2 - Add another elite young midfielder. We have a good number now (Heppell, Merrett, Parish, Francis, Langford, Zaka, Colyer, McGrath). I would like a Hopper/Kennedy/Kelly added to the list, as well as Setterfield in 2018.
#3 - 1x Lock down defender. Someone to stick on the dangerous smalls and negate them, plus rebound.

Not asking much, but we can probably afford to let a couple of years of 1st and 2nd round picks go to line up 1 & 2.
#3 is about identifying someone needing an opportunity.
Essendon midfield isn't too far off. You could use a good ruck plus a bull-type clearance mid to just smash other bodies out of the way. Otherwise there is a fair bit of class in there already. Parish is a gun.

Our spine (KPP's) are coming together which was a big focus and concern a couple of seasons ago. Obviously retention will always be a big focus but is on the improve. Our main concern over the next few seasons will be going to the draft and acquiring the best midfield talent that we can so that when our young KPP start to find their feet (couple more years) so will the crop of young mids. In regards to inside or outside mids the focus should be on the inside first as our clearance/contested numbers for years have been down the bottom of the comp and hopefully they will become elite types as well (doesn't everyone!).

Our spine (KPP's) are coming together which was a big focus and concern a couple of seasons ago. Obviously retention will always be a big focus but is on the improve. Our main concern over the next few seasons will be going to the draft and acquiring the best midfield talent that we can so that when our young KPP start to find their feet (couple more years) so will the crop of young mids. In regards to inside or outside mids the focus should be on the inside first as our clearance/contested numbers for years have been down the bottom of the comp and hopefully they will become elite types as well (doesn't everyone!).
I wouldn't have looked that far ahead. Simply we need to re-sign and lock up Schache and our 2016 draftees asap.

1. Re-signing Trent Dumont.
2. Keeping Preuss as he develops.
3. Drafting actual top talent.
4. Using our "war chest" to land a gun midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back