Your favorite place in the world

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
I grew up in Melbourne.. Spent 25 years there but, unlike like my mum, it has never been home. I'll be moving to the French Riviera in 3 weeks, but home to me is somewhere on the northern NSW Coast. Somewhere between Fingal and Lennox Head. Something about that region resonates in my bones.

Where is your favorite place on earth and where you wanna be?

My favourite place in the world is this verandah at Brooklyn Estate winery near Margaret River. It has a little creek running by out the front. I dont know why, I just love sitting there watching the world go by.

Hard to say conclusively when you haven't travelled that much.

Aside from Australia, I've only been to the US, Vietnam and New Zealand.

New York City is by far my favourite city, although I don't think I could live there long term. Maybe a shorter stint.

In terms of a place that just has that intangible 'it' factor for me...

I'd have to split it between two places. The Bogong High Plains just beyond Falls Creek...something about those wide open alpine meadows just hits the spot. And, the Hartz Mountains about 100km south of Hobart. They are an underrated jewel among Tasmania's mountains...wild, windswept, and with a severe sort of beauty about them.

Yes, I like mountains.

I'm desperate to go back to parts of New Zealand for much the same reason.

Of the places I've visited overseas, probably the most fun Ive ever had was in Whistler. Sitting on top of the mountain on the massive ski runs was amazing.

San Fran and the Cinque Terre also deserve mentions. I liked San Diego too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne will always, always be home...but there's just something about Boston that I love deeply. It's an absolutely beautiful city and I really felt at home there.
My second favourite city.

It reminds me of Melbourne in some ways actually.

I think that's why I feel so comfortable there and why I love it so much. A city built on water, with beautiful architecture, amazing food, and people who love sport.
Best seafood I've ever had was in Boston. And that clam chowder...

Just to expand on what I said earlier about the Hartz Mountains, one of my more unusual experiences was there. We'd set out on a walk to the peak, which is 1255 metres high. It was January, but being south west Tassie, the nice conditions down in the Huon Valley were nothing like the blustery, freezing temperatures we encountered when we got out of our car at the start of the walk, which is at about 600 metres altitude I think.

So we started the walk, but when we got to Lake Esperance about 2km in, the conditions had turned really nasty- I'm talking 70-80kmh winds, and what looked to be an approaching whiteout or blizzard. After the lake (which is at about 900 metres), the walk is completely exposed as the tree line is very low that far south in Tassie (especially on south face slopes) and very dangerous in such conditions, so we made the sad choice to terminate the walk there.

Anyway, while standing on the jetty at Lake Esperance, I actually got hit by a freak wave which surged over the top of the jetty I was standing on. The lake is situated in such a way that it cops the full brunt of winds whipping in from the south west through a gap in the mountain range- as they were that day, and the jetty is right at the north eastern end of the lake. The wind was that strong it was generating waves that big. It was incredible, but made for a very cold walk indeed back to the car, not helped by the fact it had begun to snow. I spent about half an hour in the car defrosting before we set off elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back