Your Game of the Year for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

In lieu of there being no Gaming Question of the Month this month (and I know you're all frothing at the thought of it coming back!) here we have the real big question of the year. What game do you deem to be the best for the year 2012.

It's been a year mainly of sequels and perhaps a big sign that the end of this gen is growing ever closer. Never the less, there's been some quality in all forms this year, from the downloadable format to the big retail releases.

So here is the place to list your top 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or however many games you deem worthy of being in your bests this year and which one you deemed the very best.

I'll kick it off with my top 5.

GOTY. Far Cry 3 - Fun. Pure fun. That is the best way of describing this game. It mixes Red Dead Redemption's world depth with the animal hunting and flower picking and gives a genuine reason to do that stuff. And also brings in some Assassin's Creed with first person platforming that actually works! Ubisoft took what was a decent game with a heap of flaws in Far Cry 2 and turned the sequel around to be one that has, at worst, one or two flaws. Fantastic game, I only wish there was just more and more and more. The only game I have got a Platinum for this year, and probably the most fun I've had going for one too.

2. Hitman: Absolution - Hitman is back! While not necessarily better than ever, a great Hitman is still one that sits deep in my heart and I can look past the flaws if the meat of the package is at least still Hitman at it's core. Not for the rushers and requires an uber amount of patience, as well as plenty of trial and error. But as with past Hitman games there's a ton of ways to complete a level and most are rarely obvious from first look. Agent 47 has been away far too long, let's not make it this long until he's back again, ok Square?

3. The Darkness 2 - Not only is this game one of the most underrated of the year, but it did something that not many games have managed to do in my history of gaming. Create an emotional story that bridges two games, while improving the 2nd game in every single aspect. It's so hard to describe what really makes this game so damn good. But a lot of it comes down to the fact that you really need to play the first one, just to appreciate not only how big of a leap this one came but how the story continued on so perfectly and kept the same level of emotional impact that the first had in spades (the first games only real redeeming feature). Although I know the lack of sales means this game likely won't see it to a trilogy, The Darkness became one of my absolute favourite gaming series with this 2nd installment. I highly recommend this title.

4. Journey - An experience like no other. I gushed plenty in the PSN Games thread (here and here) with two completely different, but no less amazing experiences. The first playthrough was the more traditional playthrough that allowed me to see what the game was about. But the 2nd one will probably stick with me as one of the most amazing gaming experiences I've ever had. You can read more in that 2nd link, but basically I found someone in the game and went through about 2/3rds of the game with them, helping them out, them helping me, looking after them the whole time. Almost lost them in the very last moments of the game, only to see them waiting for me at the top of the mountain. It's just so unique, so different to your normal online experience where you're called the n-word or a n00b or whatever. This was an experience where you cared for the other person despite not knowing a damn thing about them. It was purely and simply, amazing.

5. Borderlands 2 - As with Far Cry 3, the name of the game here is fun. Every feature, every enemy, every mission, every gun. All created in the name of pure fun. I had so much fun with this game that I ended up playing through the campaign a 2nd time immediately after finishing it the first time, which is something I rarely do for a game this long (around 20-40 hours for one playthrough). Absolutely, this game is one of the best value for money propositions in years. Whether in co-op or solo, this game is ridiculously fun and an improvement over the first game in every single way.

Hon. Mentions (in no order): Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit, FIFA 13, Black Ops 2 (campaign), Sound Shapes, Max Payne 3.

1 - Hitman Absolution. Loved it, where has this series been all my life? I'm sad that it's over as once I finish a game I rarely go back to it.

2 - Far Cry 3. Had lots of fun but it was a let down on my anticipation for this. I personally blame JB Hi-Fi for this. If I did this list early next year it would likely go 1.

3 - Fifa 13. Simple really, I play this game more then any other during the year.

4 - Assassins Creed 3. Again loved it although starts slow it really picks up and was a fine addition. Needs some serious DLC to make this game a great though.

5 - COD BLOPS 2 - The first time ever I would have a COD game in my top 5. Reason is I enjoyed the campaign but more importantly I have enjoyed playing online for the first time ever. Sure the game is flawed but the guys I play with are only slight *ed.;)

Honourable Mention:

Borderlands 2 - Made the mistake of playing with my brother on co-op (did the same with one) then he started a new job which he worked weekends so the game sat there. I joined a couple of you blokes but in the end this was a huge disappointment to me and that's my fault.

What I Missed:

Dishonoured: Will play just poor timing on release. Might buy over Christmas.

Max Payne 3: Same as the above but the lure is smaller.

Halo 4: 360 just gathering dust. Hopefully will play this soon.

Edit: Sleeping Dogs: Will hopefully play one day.

My gaming this year was very tame.....What the * did I play for the first 10 months of the year?????? Can't think of any big early year releases.

EDIT: Mass Effect 3 moves into 5th and BLOPS2 moves out. Man I knew there was a game I forgot. Loved it.

1. Far Cry 3 (One of the most fun games i've played and one of the best fps games in years)
2. Sleeping Dogs (GTA in Hong Kong, great combat, enjoyable story and overall a much better game than GTA4)
3. Borderlands 2 (Cant believe i never played the 1st one, 4 player co-op is brilliant)
4. The Darkness 2 (Like HBK said, one of the most underrated games for sure, any game that makes me want to watch the cutscenes has done its job telling a great story)
5. Hitman (have only played the first training mission but i can tell its going to be enjoyable)

Honourable mentions to: Max Payne 3, Dishonoured, Sound Shapes, LBP Vita, LBP Karting, New Super Mario Bros 2, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, The Walking Dead and MoH Warfighter.

I've played way too many games this year :oops:

1: Max Payne - Absolutely loved this game for it's character development and unreal game play. It was everything I wanted in an action game; great story and tons of replay value. I finished this game on every difficulty and could still play it again.

2: Silent Hill Downpour - I don't expect this to be on many (if any) lists. I just loved this game for it's creepy atmosphere and it had plenty to do. It was a real sleeper hit for me.

3: Far Cry 3 - Great, action packed game. I think it fell off with it's boss battles though (hence being at 3) but the experience (still going) was an enjoyable one.

4: Sleeping Dogs - When this game first come out I couldn't put it down. The melee combat was unmatched and had it not been for the short story it would have featured higher. Wei was probably my favorite character of the year.

5: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - This game was just seriously awesome.

Honorable mention to Hitman: Absolution, Binary Domain, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Transformers: Fall Of Cybertron.

Biggest Dissapointments:

1: Resident Evil 6
2: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.
3: Silent Hill: Book Of Memories
4: Darksiders II
5: Medal Of Honor: Warfighter.

4: Sleeping Dogs - When this game first come out I couldn't put it down. The melee combat was unmatched and had it not been for the short story it would have featured higher. Wei was probably my favorite character of the year.

5: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - This game was just seriously awesome.
Just FWIW, Deus Ex was a 2011 release. Although I played it in 2012 too thanks to PS+.;)

And just on the Sleeping Dogs combat, have you played the Batman games? Sleeping Dogs system is good, but imo it has nothing on the Batman games and the pure rhythmic nature of the combat. Plus the animation system trumps Sleeping Dogs' by a fair way too.

The Walking Dead
NBA 2k13
Mass Effect 3
Sleeping dogs
Borderlands 2

How the hell did Warfighter get mentioned in this thread?

Also suprised with lack of mass Effect, sure the ending was s**t-house however it was a VERY polished game and the only fun cover based shooter in the history of forever

Just FWIW, Deus Ex was a 2011 release. Although I played it in 2012 too thanks to PS+.;)

And just on the Sleeping Dogs combat, have you played the Batman games? Sleeping Dogs system is good, but imo it has nothing on the Batman games and the pure rhythmic nature of the combat. Plus the animation system trumps Sleeping Dogs' by a fair way too.

You're right. I only played DE about 3 months ago. Time really flies.

I've played the Batman games. They are very good but I always thought SD just looked awesome and some of the things you could do looked so darn effective. Eg bashing someone down, then slamming their head into a car door. It was a right barrel of laughs that game.

I would say Hitman moves into my #5 spot then. I just finished it today and despite me probably sucking at it, the game is just great.

Also suprised with lack of mass Effect, sure the ending was s**t-house however it was a VERY polished game and the only fun cover based shooter in the history of forever
I haven't even given ME a go yet beyond the demo for 2 and MP beta for ME3.

Have had ME2 stuck in it's wrapper for well over a year now, just haven't found the time to give it a go (since it's a big time investment all the games I know I can finish in 6-10 hours get in first).

Will pick up the trilogy pack at some stage and hopefully get around to it mid next year, although I don't know the chances with that with GTA V and Last of Us bound to take a shitload of my time.:eek: Maybe try and sneak it in early next year if I can before the big titles hit.

Oh and Uncharted for your cover based shooter thing...come on!

Mass effect 1+2 i feel are still broken games, The first mass effect was a PAINFUL shooter, the only damn thing which kept me playing was my friends telling me to keep going and number 2 would make it worth while

Mass effect 2 was still pretty average combatwise, however still a good game, they took 8 years to make a very good game.

Also i'm biast with Unchartered, I cannot stand shooters on console, I do not know why, just cannot enjoy them, GTA 4 would be the closest console shooters i can stand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your Game of the Year for 2012

I actually would have put BF3 on my list but I decided against it. Although with a few DLC's coming out this year it could still count.

Didn't play many this year but I'd put Borderlands 2 in as my No.1. So much fun and very addictive

1. Hitman: Absolution (One of the best games i've ever played, absolutlely love it, going through my 2nd play through now)
2. Assassin's Creed III (Brilliant game, most likely will not go back and play through it again but the story-line was great and i loved the setting)
3. Halo 4 (Another epic Halo game, great story-line, online has improved and is better, just a fantastic all-round game)
4. Far Cry 3 (Really good game, but not enjoying it as much as i thought i would, still in the proccess of playing it so things may change)
5. COD: Black Ops 2 (Solid story-line, fantastic online, having a lot of fun and rank it just behind BO1 as the best COD out)
6. FIFA 13 (Good game, but same as every year, just new things added, doesn't reach my top 5 unfortunately.
7. Max Payne 3 (Really enjoyed this, got it one day just because i needed something new to play and was very suprised at how good it turned out to be)
8. Sleeping Dogs (Surprisingly a very good game, wasn't excpecting much but had a good time playing it)
9. Resident Evil 6 (Haven't played this in a while, was good early on and will need to finish it but won't go up in my list, not a bad game though)

I'll kick it off with my top 5.

GOTY. Far Cry 3
2. Hitman: Absolution
3. The Darkness 2
4. Journey
5. Borderlands 2
Hon. Mentions (in no order): Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit, Rayman Origins (extremely unlucky!), FIFA 13, Black Ops 2 (campaign), Sound Shapes, Max Payne 3.

that top 5 is worse than the VGA GOTY nominations

my goty is the walking dead, nothing even comes close to that this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back