Your most memorable Woods win

Remove this Banner Ad

I just watched some old video's and was wondering what you guys would consider your most memorable Collingwood win/wins of all time

My very favourite is:
2002: Rd 8 def Bribane Lions

Also the prelim V Crows of the same year

What've you got?

I concur.

I was at that game with my brother and 5 of his mates who are all diehard Brisbane supporters. Victory was sweet. McGough's first game if I remember correctly.

2002 qual against Port all the way. never been so proud of em. take that one to the grave - that is what guts is all about

Bingo!!!!

Biggest underdogs ever. Went in without Buckley against the top-of-the-table Power. I gave them no chance

Paul Licuria was sublime :thumbsu::D

I just watched some old video's and was wondering what you guys would consider your most memorable Collingwood win/wins of all time

My very favourite is:
2002: Rd 8 def Bribane Lions

Also the prelim V Crows of the same year

What've you got?

mine too , i was there that night aswell , atmosphere was insane.

semi final last year against the eagles also rates pretty high

Games attended:-
Both Carlton games in 90.
Buckley's 200th, a demolition.
02, 03 Prelims. Crowd like no other.

Games watched on telly:-
90 GF
02 QF
92 against Eagles in Perth. Behind all day in the wet to pinch it in the dying seonds.

Also a game in 01or 02 against the Saints comes to mind when we were jumped and eventually ground our way into it to win. Gutsy. Attended with a mate that day and that win solidified our friendship.

My top 10.

*= game I attended

10. Collingwood v West Coast 2005 at MCG. I went to 11 games in 05 and this was the only win I saw. Most unexpected win I've been to and was so so sweet.*
9. Anzac Day 2002. Singing in the rain. So long we were their bitches, the tide turned a little here.
8. 2003 PF v Port Adelaide. Party time. All day. Never looked like losing.*
7. 2002 PF v Adelaide- The army was in true full voice for the first time since the early 90s
5. 2003 Qualifying final v Brisbane. Most tense game I've ever been to. Arrival of A. Didak.*
5. 2007 Semi Final v West Coast. Ended the eras of Swans and Eagles in consectutive weeks. Got to the prelims from 6th. Made a dick of myself barracking at the Imperial hotel and didn't care.
4. 2002 Qualifying Final - Extreme underdogs and didn't it suit us- Williams' narkiness at the doubt over Bucks during the week gave me a hunch we were well in the hunt. And we were. What a tackle Benny Johnson!
3. 2002 v Brisbane at TD- A game that hailed in the Malthouse era as it was won on belief and hard work- something that had been missing at Collingwood for most of the 90s.
2. 2003 Collingwood v Fremantle at MCG - week after Bob Rose's death- most emotional game, and only certain win I have felt pre-match. Wonderful day and Buck's tackle on Carr near the pocket where I was sitting is still my highlight of his career.*
1. Round 9 v Adelaide 2003- Never have I jumped around like this in the loungeroom over a game of footy. Not even finals. You can't top these wins.

2002 Rd 8 - Brisbane - The crowd ( and especially eddie at the end of the game) was amazing.. the Dome really captured the atmosphere that night... Corrected me if i was wrong, but i think it may hav also been the night tarrent kicked 5 or 6... not often did that happen.. great game of footy.

2002 1st final Port - for me i think finest individual performance i have seen from a collingwood player in my lifetime. Paul licuria fixed up francou and had a lazy 35-40 odd touches... backs against the wall stuff... amazing

2002 - ANZAC day win in the wet....

I think 2002 was a real defining season. It was the season i think alot of us had been waiting for since the mid 90's... hence many fond memories

My top 10.

*= game I attended

10. Collingwood v West Coast 2005 at MCG. I went to 11 games in 05 and this was the only win I saw. Most unexpected win I've been to and was so so sweet.*
9. Anzac Day 2002. Singing in the rain. So long we were their bitches, the tide turned a little here.
8. 2003 PF v Port Adelaide. Party time. All day. Never looked like losing.*
7. 2002 PF v Adelaide- The army was in true full voice for the first time since the early 90s
5. 2003 Qualifying final v Brisbane. Most tense game I've ever been to. Arrival of A. Didak.*
5. 2007 Semi Final v West Coast. Ended the eras of Swans and Eagles in consectutive weeks. Got to the prelims from 6th. Made a dick of myself barracking at the Imperial hotel and didn't care.
4. 2002 Qualifying Final - Extreme underdogs and didn't it suit us- Williams' narkiness at the doubt over Bucks during the week gave me a hunch we were well in the hunt. And we were. What a tackle Benny Johnson!
3. 2002 v Brisbane at TD- A game that hailed in the Malthouse era as it was won on belief and hard work- something that had been missing at Collingwood for most of the 90s.
2. 2003 Collingwood v Fremantle at MCG - week after Bob Rose's death- most emotional game, and only certain win I have felt pre-match. Wonderful day and Buck's tackle on Carr near the pocket where I was sitting is still my highlight of his career.*
1. Round 9 v Adelaide 2003- Never have I jumped around like this in the loungeroom over a game of footy. Not even finals. You can't top these wins.

first of all, ben johnson tackle in that game kept him in the team for teh next two years but it was sensational

also with the adelaide game i did the same thing. my dad and i were jumping on the lounge room table we were ecstatic. most unbelievable feeling

Cant remmber what year it was but it was in the late 80's Collingwood vs Cartlon. The game Silvagni took that speci over Starcevich only for Craig to cutloose in the last and win the game. Top stuff :thumbsu:

Went to a game in 1994 (ok i cant rememember the year).... Coll vs Geelong... Paul williams stretchered of after having his face torn off my Ken Hinkley.... only to run from the rooms about 8 min later around the boundary, and eventually come back on. Bucks kicked 4 from memory and we got up by 5 points....

My memory is hazy on the score, so that could be slightly up or down too lol

Yeah - brilliant game! Might not have been 5 points but certainly less than a goal. I think that Williams, after coming back on, might actually have passed to Buckley who then kicked the winning goal. So nervous I couldn't watch the final minute or so - the siren went with the ball deep in the Cats forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant remmber what year it was but it was in the late 80's Collingwood vs Cartlon. The game Silvagni took that speci over Starcevich only for Craig to cutloose in the last and win the game. Top stuff :thumbsu:

1988 - at the MCG. 2nd time we'd beaten them (as reigning premiers) for the year.

1) 2002 QF vs Port. It's been said already, but this game typified the spirit we showed all throughout 02. I can remember Rocca taking a mark in the goalsquare in the final quarter, attempted to play on then either kicked the behind post or kicked the ball into the behind post. Johnno's tackle on Burgoyne minutes later to square it up. Paul Licuria played one of the best games I've ever seen.

2) 2002 Rd 8 vs Brisbane. Most electric atmosphere of any game I've been to. I can remember pretty much the entire crowd chanting "The Rupe is on fire" when Betheras kicked a couple of goals in the 2nd half.

3) 2003 QF vs Brisbane. Dids goal in the last qtr is the reason we should keep him. Was good to get one back on them ... pity bout what heppened 3 weeks later. This game seemed to have so much more at stake than a spot in the prelim.

4) 2002 PF vs Adelaide. I simply couldn't believe it. We were in the granny!

5) 2007 SF vs West Coast. After struggling early got it back and ended up running all over them in extra time. The last 5 minutes of regulation time was almost unbearable.

Glad I was able be at the game for no's 2, 3 & 4.
So many more great games, even some that we've lost. Really makes me laugh at the ridiculous amount of passion I have for the club.
Go pies!

Last years Semi would have to go close, definitely took a few years off me. I was watching it up at the local, have never hugged so many strangers in my life. Had about 4 strokes in the process, that last 2 minutes when the ball is in our forward 50 is the hardest, most desperate footy i've seen for a while, i was screaming just get it through the bloody points!

And as mentioned, the game against the Crows when Tarrant slotted through after the siren. Ripper.

This Crows game that everyone speaks of (with the after the siren Tarrant goal) was totally ruined for me, and everyone else in brisbane.

We were watching the game on 10, and it was a delayed telecast(as footy in QLD was back then).

Anyway, at half time, a news break comes on:

'And in sports news, Chris Tarrant kicks a goal after the siren to win the game for Collingwood'.

I imagine there would have been MANY a complaint that night. Still the biggest blow out i've ever seen!

I forgot 95 ANZAC Day, not exactly a win, but we gained alot that day. What an atmosphere, and probably the day I stopped hating Essendon.

My first ever game and the only fu--- game my dead beat Dad took me to. I think 1977 Victoria park and the pies smashed the saints by i think 200 points and we went from bottom of the ladder to the top. I was about 7 or 8 years old. God i cant tell you how much i loved Victoria park. I went to every game there for over 10 years, in the gate at 10.00am, remember sitting on the back boards under the stands when we use to play the blues packed house. Noise was amazing and in the rooms after the games. Sorry to crap on but it was the only good memories i have of my early teenage years.

Pretty sure that was 1979, and it was the great man Peter Daicos' debut. 31.21.207 - 3.11-29

I can't remember much footy from the early mid 90's and didn't see any before that so my most memorable win would be the Port final. Port at AAMI, Francou favourite for the Brownlow, Port minor premiers and odds on favourites for the Flag, Buckley out. No one gave us a chance. Licca tagging Francou and keeping him to 10 or so possies whilst he racked up 40 odd of his own. Simply inspiring.

I can't remember much footy from the early mid 90's and didn't see any before that so my most memorable win would be the Port final. Port at AAMI, Francou favourite for the Brownlow, Port minor premiers and odds on favourites for the Flag, Buckley out. No one gave us a chance. Licca tagging Francou and keeping him to 10 or so possies whilst he racked up 40 odd of his own. Simply inspiring.

Francou got 27 touches and had the second highest number of disposals for the night. He had a very good game, just wasnt as influential as lica.

Michael Christian's call of Francou's shot for goal in the last 10 mins will always echo in my mind

"Francou.....from 20......MISSESSS!"

The game that we won to get in to the 02 GF.
I couldn't watch it live (for reasons I won't go in to), and I was busy driving around in my car that day. I remember pulling up outside my mate's house with about 5 mins to go.
I just sat there silently listening to the last few minutes of the call. After the siren went, everything went kind of quiet for a couple of seconds......then as I was staring blankly out the front windscreen, the voices on the radio phased back into my head, and all I could hear was
"COLLINGWOOD ARE INTO THE GRAND FINAL!!!"
"FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 12 YEARS, COLLINGWOOD HAVE MADE IT TO THE GRAND FINAL"

As I sat there, staring blankly into space, tears started rolling down my cheek. I wasn't crying, they just started falling. I closed my eyes, and imagined Bucks throwing his arms in the air. I thought about Eddie, red in the face, errupting with pure joy, and I thought about the thousands of fans across Melbourne, and across the country, that would be screaming and cheering in absolute ecstasy. I felt like I could feel the energy, and that all our hearts were beating at a million miles an hour, in unison.

I will remember it for as long as I try to forget what happened the next week.
Forever.

i dont remember too many game from the 90s but some do pop up, most of which i was actually at

1. a pre season game against the roos at waverly park, where we won by a point, i went with my friend who was a mad roos supporter and he said that was the season stuffed, i think they ended up winning the GF that year (maybe 96)

2. another game against the roos, but this was during the home and away season, at the G, it was close all day and up and down and we won, but beforehand i was bawling my eyes out cause it looked like we were going to lose. not too sure of what year it was, but i remember it as it truly noticed how many fans we actually have, and how little north. i was at this game with the same friend, and he said the same thing as the pre season game

3. a game against the doggies when we got up by heaps at the start of the game but then they slowly came back and it was neck and neck in the last and we got up by a goal. this was the first time i started to hate the doggies, mostly because of their fans, may have been 97 or 98

4. my first and only game at vic park, against brisbane, when they were the bears and we beat them mercifully, first time to see the players up close and to see what old school footy was like (watching in the outer, listening to new swear words i never heard before) possibly 1996. i still rememebr asking my dad why they didnt play the bears theme song when they came out onto the ground

now games that i remember more clearly as i got older
queens bday 2001, tazzas mark and beating the crap out of the dees the yr after they had played in a GF

most of the other games have been mentioned by other posters where i went absolutley ballistic at and drunk during most of them with my mates, rd 8 20002 against the lions. 2002 QF over the power (was really drunk as it was my mates 18th that night) 2003 win over adelaide tazzas goal, i knew it was going to be a goal as soon as it crossed the line, cause the goal umpire move to his left or right, just stayed put. 2003 finals win against the lions, i was watching it with my dad in our lounge room and we were both going mental, until didak kicked THAT goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back