Your Top Ten Crows Players Of All Time.

Remove this Banner Ad

There are two defining periods in our history:

First 1991-93. The fact that we were competitive straight away and played finals early was so important. We were creating a club out of nothing. We had to achieve something straight away to earn a reputation in a short space of time.

Second 1997-98. For obvious reasons.

My Top 10 therefore are from those two periods. Really from 1999-present we've done **** all and have spun the wheels as a football club, despite our best efforts.

1. Tony Modra
He had the biggest impact on our club of any player. Got people through the turnstiles, made people want to go to the games and watch us on tv. He drew new supporters to the club (and the game).

2. Ben Hart
AA in 1992 and 1993 as a teenager. A local star who earned universal respect instantly and helped our club gain credibility.

3. Mark Ricciuto
Our first genuine star midfielder. A dominant presence at our club for almost 15 years. Our best captain despite what our current coach says.

4. Shaun Rehn
He was our barometer.
95 - knee (we were average)
96 - knee (we were average)
97 - played (we were premiers)
98 - played (we were premiers)
99 - knee (we were average)
Say no more.

5. Darren Jarman
Our first big trade win. Such a significant impact in the 97-98 finals series. We had to give up Wellman to get him back (a very good player who went on to play 200+ games) but it showed that you get what you pay for. A lesson we've unfortunately forgotten.

6. Nigel Smart
He played with attitude, confidence, flair and freedom. This rubbed off on his team mates and was highly infectious. Our spiritual leader. We miss a player of this type now.

7. Rodney Maynard
As I said at the start, those first few years it was so important that we were competitive in order to win doubting fans over. Maynard was brilliant for us.
No fuss. Low maintenance. Consistent. Would run down and kick a goal too which would get the crowd going. An SA country boy who everyone loved. He became an absolute fan favourite. He is the type of player that makes football clubs.

8. Scott Lee
See comments on Maynard. Very similar. A reliable, quality footballer. Having Lee and Maynard together down back gave us stability. Another one who became a fan favourite very quickly.

9. Mark Bickley
Can't have a top ten without our dual premiership skipper. Continues to influence the club to this day now in a coaching role. Such a perfect story too - last one picked on our initial list... became premiership captain. Couldn't have scripted it any better. The perfect demonstration to young footballers about what can be achieved through hard work.

10. Andrew Jarman
It's a pity from a playing perspective that he and Cornes were on such different wave lengths. Could have been better than he was. What he did though was inject fun, class and a touch of genius to our team. We were essentially a team of anonymous South Aussies... Jarman quickly became a known player. He helped give us some profile. He was our first villain, our first character at a time when we were finding our feet as a club.

Very difficult exercise.

1) Ricciuto
2) McLeod

Slight Gap

3) Modra
4) D. Jarman
5) Rehn
6) Goodwin
7) Hart
8) Edwards
9) Smart
10) Bickley

Whoever put Scott Hodges in was taking the urine, surely.

And Spackler, your list was more head scratching than a night in El Paso.

Also - not that he's close to being in the top ten, but I think Robran's contribution in the premiership years is always underrated. He massively straightened us up and faciliated Blight's direct gameplan.

1 - Mark Riccuito
This man is still the greatest player we have ever had
2 - Chris Mcermott
Dont like him these days but in the early crows years was an inspirationa leader
3 - Andrew Mcleod
Two Norm Smiths, 3 Club Championa. Legend. Visited me in hospital in 1999 as a kid with Phil Harper.
4/5 - D Jarman / Shaun Rehn
Cant split them. Without them we wouldnt have two premierships
6- Ben Hart / Edards
Consistent and reliable as ever for a long time
7 - Nigel Smart
Will be remembered as one of our greatest ever defenders but I stil lremember him most for his 1993 season. We needed a CHF. No longer had Klug. Modra was dominating a FF but we just didnt have a CHF. Matty Robran was playing more of a pocket in those days as was Hodges, Wigney, Stuart Bone. The game against Footsgray where Nigel moved to CHF. He had 24 touches, kicked 2 goals and a heap of marks and then played CHF for the rest of that season. Including a bag of 5 against Geelong when Mods only kicked 1 and 4 gainst Hawthorn in the first final.
8- Mark Bickley - Two time Premiership captain
9 - Tony Mcguinness- Best player for the first 4 years.
10 - Simon Goodwin

'Edited for accuracy' :D
1 Roo
2 Macca
3 D Jarman
4 T Modra
5 Ben Hart
6 Goodwin
7 Edwards
8 Rehn
9 Smart
10 McGuiness

I am going out on a limb and am going to say that when his career is over Brodie Martin will be in this list . Hi first four games in Crows colours have been better than any one elses for a juniot coming in plus the way he palyed against Port in thefirst round of the NAB cup and then in the Match against Freemantle on the weekend at Thebarton thsi gut will be a gun. I reckon he had about 40 touches on Saturday and just breaks the lines even more than what Macca did early in his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was a shocking year for the club. Mods only kicked 42 Goals as well. Kicked 70 in 1994 and 75 in 1996 before winning the colman in 97 with 84.

Funny thing is his 70 on the back of 129 was seen as a s**t year (and perhaps it was given that 13 came in round one). Imagine if tex or tip boot 70 this year... we'll be loving it. How things change.

Depends if you buy my 'two defining periods' motif I guess

I liked your interpretation and on thatbasis generally agree with the list. e.g. rocket maynard was huge for us early on... also played the first 50odd games without a miss iirc. Though if you slip Lee in there Id make a case for jammo. Was a focal point early then went back. Was a mr fix it type, very important for us back then.

Very similar top 10's.

Not enough love for Basset IMO. Guess he's everyones #11?

:thumbsu:

Whilst Basset wouldn't make my top 10 great players of all time, I agree a very, very underrated player, some of the jobs he did on far bigger & more talented opponents over his whole career were amazing. He'd be No.1 on my list if we were picking the most courageous player of all time, and No.2 behind Andrew Jarman only for biggest "character" of all time to play for the Crows.

For the Bov - and can I point out this is a truly a challenge!
1 - Roo - I still believe he has been the greatest SA footballer who has played for our club and probably the AFL. I know it is a big call, but he was a true inspiration and Legend.
2 - McLeod - How do stars align to give us these top two gems. The way he played....slick, accurate, humble. Probably one of the best Aboriginal/TS Islanders to have ever played our great game.
3 - D Jarman - Probably the most talented footballing brain I have ever seen. Could do things others could only dream about.
4 - Modra - Our greatest goal kicking machine we have ever had. In his prime he would draw a crowd. We miss his sort of character in the modern game.
5 - Edwards - If he played for a Vic team he would have been seen as a true star of the game. He was probably the most reliable player we have ever had. Did the hard things, but was not seen as a flashy player.
6 - Rehn - For many a year was the heart of the club. In an era when ruckman were very important he was crucial for us.
7 - Hart - The best Ranga to have ever worn the Red, Blue and Yellow :D. Nah, he was an awesome defender. Took on the best forwards. Tis a shame the way his career ended though.
8 - McDermott -Really led from the front. Was a hard nut and played footy hard. We were lucky to have such a leader as our inaugral captain.
9 - Goodwin - How can this guy be so low down the ladder? I really don't know. This is a bloody hard thing to do. Anyway, fantastic player for us. Numerous All Australians and now AFL life member.
10 - Smart/Bickley - I really can't separate these two. So I am putting them equal 10th :p Two players who really made the AFC what it is today. Both hard working, and both from the "old school".

There done. That was hard!!!!

:thumbsu:

Whilst Basset wouldn't make my top 10 great players of all time, I agree a very, very underrated player, some of the jobs he did on far bigger & more talented opponents over his whole career were amazing. He'd be No.1 on my list if we were picking the most courageous player of all time, and No.2 behind Andrew Jarman only for biggest "character" of all time to play for the Crows.
And no. 2 behind Stevens as the most concussed Crow? :D

1 - Roo - I still believe he has been the greatest SA footballer who has played for our club and probably the AFL. I know it is a big call, but he was a true inspiration and Legend.

Definitely the best South Australian to play in the AFL, if you look at his record. Nobody else comes close.

Not enough Tony Hall's in here. Im the only one so far. Injury ruined a brilliant footballers career. Was all class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back