Toast Zak Butters appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

"It is the next wave of players ... that has to push our team getting better. We can do that.

"The early-20s to mid-20s have taken ownership of making the club get better, we have taken on that responsibility."
I’ll name them

Butters
Rozee
Duursma
Georgiades
Bergman
Jones
Sinn
Burton
Houston
Marshall
Powell-Pepper
Bonner
Drew
Mead
Schofield
Frederick

Those boys need to step up, they are the difference this year. As Butters said we know what boys like Wines, Amon, Boak, Dixon etc will bring.

Cal Twomey names Butters as his 25th best player in the AFL for 2022. That's an incredibly gutsy call to make on a fourth year player who spent his third year injured. Well done Cal (and Zak).

If there were ever a player to get on board with, it's Butters. He just has to stay fit.

Any other coach would downplay an up and coming star, but not our Ken, just heaps the pressure on.
Carn. One of the main things this board shitcans Ken for is for trying to lower expectations. This is what he should be doing.

Carn. One of the main things this board shitcans Ken for is for trying to lower expectations. This is what he should be doing.
My problem with this is that it tries to set the expectation that a fully fit Zak will be the thing that bridges the gap between us and Melbourne/Bulldogs. Zak isn't the difference between us and them. The difference is ball movement and forward entry, things that Ken is responsible for. When we inevitably fail this season the "happy clapper" section of the supporter base will once again blame the players for the failure.

My problem with this is that it tries to set the expectation that a fully fit Zak will be the thing that bridges the gap between us and Melbourne/Bulldogs. Zak isn't the difference between us and them. The difference is ball movement and forward entry, things that Ken is responsible for. When we inevitably fail this season the "happy clapper" section of the supporter base will once again blame the players for the failure.
One of the few time I will defend Hinkley. I don't see anywhere where he tries to set the expectation that a 'fit Zak bridges the gap' (poor man's poetry :cool:). The message I see is that we are attempting to grow our midfield with several young players, some of whom had injuries (or in SPP's case self inflicted bad seasons). He sees that as bridging the gap, especially while Travis's output is still good.

Sure, he talks Zak up a lot and whether he does that too much is another issue. I think he goes too far. However part of managing a player is knowing whether you think they will respond to having public praise and expectation put on them. Hopefully Hinkley is being smart about that when he says what he does about Zak. At the end of it all it is a preseason interview with Cal Tworney. It won't persist for many news cycles whether it is smart or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did this when Wines won and the umps gave Ollie an extra 3 votes compared to mine so thought I would do Butters, looked at the AFL Brownlow predictor, AFLCA votes, stats and my own memory.

Butters

R1- 0 votes
R2- 0 votes
R3- 0 votes
R4- 1 vote (could get 2, was our most disposals and kicked a goal but maybe Allir gets 2, could get 0 as well)
R5- 3 votes
R6- 0 votes
R7- 0 votes (would be lucky to get 1, 4 coaches votes)
R8- 3 votes
R9- 3 votes
R10- 3 votes
R11- 2 votes
R12- 2 votes (maybe 3 but probs Rozee)
R13- 3 votes
R14- 0 votes (might get lucky and get 1, AFLCA- only 3 votes, Brownlow predictor surprisingly has him with 2 votes)
R16- 1 vote
R17- 0 votes
R18- 0 votes
R19-0 votes
R20- 0 votes
R21- 3 votes
R22- 2 votes
R23- 3 votes
32 votes

Might come down to rounds 4, 7 and 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Back