Opinion Roughy needs to do more..

Worst. Coleman Medallist. Ever. ;)

Roughy's ability to 'impose himself on the contest' is surely restricted by our preferred manner of being patient and picking shorter targets inside 50 as opposed to just bombing it long and getting Roughy to split packs. It's also no surprise that if we're not doing so well our key forward isn't getting the ball.

We acted without any form of patience against the Bombers and for whatever reason mostly just bombed it forward.
Credit should probably go to Essendon for making us play that way.

I love the Rough, but one thing I think he is not elite at is judging the flight of the ball. In fact, I think he is average at best for this one skill. I think this is why he has to go for the one handers, etc as he often runs under the point where the ball drops. This is also the reason he is less likely to be seen as the matchwinner, as he doesn't often take the fliers.

What he is elite at is making space and marking balls that arrive to him. That's why he often gets bags when our mids are right on top and can deliver to a run.

He is also an elite team player, and I understand, organiser.

I reckon he still deserves a spot in he team:p

Key forwards especially for our club have very different roles to yesteryear. How many times is the ball advancing fast down field hitting a key forward on the lead? Hardly any. Most of our goals now come from stoppages followed by a short sideways kick to someone in good position or a mark near the boundary and then an inboard kick to someone in better position. Or ground balls etc.

So Rough won't have many opportunities to take grabs and kick goals the way you think conventional forwards would. The game has changed significantly. Relies even more on smarts, spacing and positioning, which he excels at.

I see your strategy. Buy more tickets with the same numbers to increase your chance. Nice!

Actually wet myself !!

Back on topic.

Agree with Gene.

I just think Rough is a good (but not great) forward that relies on his athleticism more than natural football ability and we he plays on a key defender withe equal athleticism and more footy talent, he struggles a bit.

I wouldn't mind him having a pinch more nasty in him too.

He's been a great servant of our club though and expect him to be the next captain, so have a lot of Rough love.

So going by this theory Roughead playing extremely well in 18 games of the season vs Burgoyne playing extremely well in 6 games a season is slanted in Burgoyne's favour?

Yep pretty much right.. Burgoynes 6 games will actually be against quality opposition and he will influence the outcome of the match.

Roughys 18 games that he plays extremely well will be against teams like GWS, Suns, Bulldogs, Lions, Melbourne..etc.

Yep pretty much right.. Burgoynes 6 games will actually be against quality opposition and he will influence the outcome of the match.

Roughys 18 games that he plays extremely well will be against teams like GWS, Suns, Bulldogs, Lions, Melbourne..etc.

So, in your opinion who is a forward on an AFL list that can replace Roughy in our forward line and give you that A grade games against top 4 teams or even win you a match when the heat is on?

Lets hope that this thread isn't vindicated tomorrow night because if it is we will probably lose the game.

So, in your opinion who is a forward on an AFL list that can replace Roughy in our forward line and give you that A grade games against top 4 teams or even win you a match when the heat is on?

Buddy Franklin ... oh wait ...

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

When you start your thread saying you know you'll probably cop a bit of crap about your thoughts... you can instantly conclude you doubt your own thoughts.

Roughie is doing just fine. Two wins for the club and early days in 2014.

There's no pleasing some people...

He's doing alright old Rough, but yes I agree he can do a little bit more.

Probably bvased mostly on last weeks game. Hope he bounces back in a big way

Personally I'd expect a number 2 draft pick to be more than a bloke that just takes the heat off others, but doesn't excel in the other stuff enough. That's for the likes of the Spang.

I don't consider Rough as an elite player. Never have. Elite players grab the game when it needs to be grabbed and turn it on it's head, and do it often. I'm one of those who struggle to remember a game where he took that huge pack mark, or kicked two or three crucial ones in a last quarter to drag us over the line. He's not a gamebreaker

BUT

He is one of the most versatile players in the league. Forward. Ruck. Ruck Rover. He seems to have good endurance and when he wants to, can really take a strong grab. I like that he's laconic and laid back and casual. Some are also quick to forget the two goals he nailed in the GF last year. Pressure kicks, on a windy day and we sure as hell needed them.

All in all, I don't expect him to be remembered as a great of the Hawthorn Football Club, but like Bomber Hendrie and Al Martello, he'll sure as hell be remembered, and I'm glad he's ours.

To loosely paraphrase Michael Jordan, when he left the Bulls. "He (Scottie Pippen) is going to learn what it's like to be the big dog now". Now that Buddy has gone, that is going to be Roughy

Personally I'd expect a number 2 draft pick to be more than a bloke that just takes the heat off others, but doesn't excel in the other stuff enough. That's for the likes of the Spang.

I don't consider Rough as an elite player. Never have. Elite players grab the game when it needs to be grabbed and turn it on it's head, and do it often. I'm one of those who struggle to remember a game where he took that huge pack mark, or kicked two or three crucial ones in a last quarter to drag us over the line. He's not a gamebreaker

BUT

He is one of the most versatile players in the league. Forward. Ruck. Ruck Rover. He seems to have good endurance and when he wants to, can really take a strong grab. I like that he's laconic and laid back and casual. Some are also quick to forget the two goals he nailed in the GF last year. Pressure kicks, on a windy day and we sure as hell needed them.

All in all, I don't expect him to be remembered as a great of the Hawthorn Football Club, but like Bomber Hendrie and Al Martello, he'll sure as hell be remembered, and I'm glad he's ours.

To loosely paraphrase Michael Jordan, when he left the Bulls. "He (Scottie Pippen) is going to learn what it's like to be the big dog now". Now that Buddy has gone, that is going to be Roughy

Not elite?

Seriously, we've lost 3 games in our last 27 and supporters need to get a grip.
Enjoy the ride, mate.

I've followed the Hawks for a long, long time: don't take it for granted: nothing lasts forever.

Roughy not elite?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roughy is in our top 5 and amongst the most important of all our players.
He has been remarkably resilient since overcoming his achilles which is lucky for us.

Just a reminder too - he was runner-up in our B&F last year in a premiership year.
I am not sure what else he could do.

Who are they key forwards in the comp that you rate more highly that Rough?
The popular choice is Cloke but I would disagree with that.

I'd like to congratulate him on taking his first flying overhead one handed mark last week..........its only taken him 10 years, not a bad ratio.

Every time I see him go up for a mark one handed I feel an uncontrollable urge of wanting to punch his lights out.

There is no forward in the competition I'd like Rough replaced with and that includes a certain Lance Franklin.

BUT

Look at the history of number 2 Draft picks. Roughead is one of the best ever, easy.

He has come back from an injury that is one of the hardest to recover from, had a great 2012 and then just had his fully breakout year as an elite player last year and we are potting him after 1 game??

This post isn't just directed at you by the way.

Yes he hasn't got a huge record in big games but how many key forwards do?? Franklin is the only one that I can say as a forward wins matches in big games and that ability lately has dropped.

Cloke, Riewoldt cousins and Petrie have never really had a huge impact in their finals or big games. Nick Riewoldt is the only consistent one and I'm probably being harsh on him. Hell, even Pavlich had a bit of a reputation early in his career of not doing enough in big games.

Also people forget that usually in these big games Rough comes up against the likes of Taylor and McPharlin from now on. These 2 pants most key forwards regularly.

Also what did Gunston, Birchall, Lewis etc do last week? Not a hell of a lot. Give the guy a break people and back him in for another great season.

If you told me in 2011 that this is what Roughead's output would be since then, I would've been shocked. His second half in the grand final is very underrated. As Davo said, we are a top team with some amazing players. Enjoy them and our time while it lasts and stop expecting perfection all the time.

If Roughy didn't go missing in all those losses vs Geelong, we would have won 90+% instead.

I can predict Roughys goal output over the next 3 matches:
vs FREO - 2 goals
vs GOLD COAST - he'll kick 5 (3 late in the 4th Qtr)
vs CATS - 1 goal
Sometimes he finds it hard to get in the game, I think he needs to play in the middle early to grab a few touches.

Not elite?

Seriously, we've lost 3 games in our last 27 and supporters need to get a grip.
Enjoy the ride, mate.

I've followed the Hawks for a long, long time: don't take it for granted: nothing lasts forever.

Roughy not elite?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, that's right. Not elite.

Footy is a team game. The fact that we've lost three out of 27 isn't solely because of him. You could say that Isaac Smith is elite on that logic, because he's been involved in the 24 wins too.

I've followed the Hawks since 70s and although most years have been good to me, I know to take nothing for granted, because there's been some shockers.

Read my post again, especially after the "BUT". You'll see I appreciate the big fella.

Back