Opinion Roughy needs to do more..

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Rough could be a little down on confidence. Too many times he has been going for his marks with one hand. He did take one screamer, but has missed others.
Loved his aggression on Monday.

Rough rolled his ankle and had to play the game out with strapping. He also played up the ground a lot more probably taking a defender away. Not his best game, not his worst.

Gutted it out but his body language was not what you want from a leader towards the end, though most of the players had their heads down at that point.

Can anyone who was their comment on how much rough played in the 50 yesterday because on TV it looked like he was playing outside the 50 and delivering it in a lot yesterday

I was there and observed Roughys 'poor' body language.. he was not demanding the ball as a key 195cm, 100kg forward should when the game was still up for grabs.. Half hearted jogging towards a contest, almost like he didn't want the ball to get kicked to him.

Harry Taylor wanted the ball and gave Roughy an absolute bath.

Roughys match up vs Cats has always been Harry Taylor, the only difference with match ups yesterday was Lonergan against Gunston, which I have to say Gunston was super impressive, took contested marks, stood up in the last Qtr and gave us a chance of victory..

Can we lock and close this thread?

Surely we don't need threads about individual players and their performances???

:rolleyes:

This thread is not about an individual game, it was created after Round 2 - nothing I have seen over the past 3 weeks alters my opinion that Roughy beats up (and builds his reputation) on lesser opponents and goes missing when it really counts.

He has a problem with big games at times. I would move him to full back or something to get him into the game. He's the most versatile player there is, so you always have that option with Rough.

He has a problem with big games at times. I would move him to full back or something to get him into the game. He's the most versatile player there is, so you always have that option with Rough.

I think the 4th quarter yesterday would have been a perfect opportunity to venture down back and assist Cheney and possibly learn something from Hawkins..

Love Rough, vice captain, two time premiership player, Coleman medallist.
However 8 goals in his last 7 games versus the Cats is a poor return considering he has been predominately forward.

I think Rough could be a little down on confidence.
Interesting that he always seems to be down on confidence against Geelong.

Over on the Handbagger board right now they're talking about Harry Taylor doing his 'usual job on Roughead' ie. blanketing him completely. I sure wish someone could send a few of those comments Jarryd's way, or better yet compile a highlights clip of all the times Taylor's outmarked him since 2008.

We just aren't a good enough side to carry our biggest-name players against Geelong and expect to win. If Roughead's having an off-day that's fine, I'm not demanding he take speccies over Taylor and kick bags on the goals but he must bring the ball to ground and deny Taylor uncontested marks.

Love Rough, vice captain, two time premiership player, Coleman medallist.
However 8 goals in his last 7 games versus the Cats is a poor return considering he has been predominately forward.
Bloody hell. I knew he'd underperformed against them but that stat is very damning.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The player I'm most disappointed with from yesterdays game is the one player that's the most important to our side that can make all the difference between winning and losing, he has the physical attributes and talent to be ripping the better sides/defenders apart, but he has somehow allowed himself to be physically and mentally molested by the better teams/defenders of the comp.
He is our Tarzan/power forward and yet against Taylor he plays like Jane. He should be splitting packs apart having a physical presence on the game and the man but instead he allows Taylor to out mark him.
Its all good and well to be versatile, inflate stats by having stints on the ball, but first and foremost you're a power forward.....act like one. When the game is in the balance we need you to stand up, this is the man that can make all the difference if he gets f*cking angry.

Right now he's a flat track bully.

Last edited:
I think the 4th quarter yesterday would have been a perfect opportunity to venture down back and assist Cheney and possibly learn something from Hawkins..

:)hmm, are you saying Clarko needs a plan B?

It's been suggested that he might struggling with an injury. Was certainly very quiet today.
Must be injured. I watched him pretty closely for extended periods today and his work rate was virtually non existent. If they mapped his movement in the form of one of those heat maps you often see he would've burnt a hole in a small patch across half forward! You'd like to think for his sake he's carrying something.

Last edited:
Must be injured. I watched him pretty closely for extended periods today and his work rate was virtually non existent. If they mapped his movement in the form of one of those heat maps you often see he would've burnt a hole in a small patch across half forward! You'd like to think for his sake he's carrying something.

If true he shouldn't be playing. I feel he just needs touch. He was presenting today.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back