Pick #1, 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, you guys haven't exactly bucked the consensus when taking those picks. Scully was a very popular #1 pick. Watts was viewed as on par with NicNat - safer choice, NicNat having the higher ceiling. A combination of bad luck and maybe bad development unfortunately.

Yeh truth is that in all our drafting failures of the past 4 or 5 years, we haven't actually made any outrageously unexpected picks.

The worst were probably Gysberts (11) and Cook (12) who where both still rated late first or early second round by most.

We just haven't nailed many unfortunately.

Yeh truth is that in all our drafting failures of the past 4 or 5 years, we haven't actually made any outrageously unexpected picks.

The worst were probably Gysberts (11) and Cook (12) who where both still rated late first or early second round by most.

We just haven't nailed many unfortunately.

Cook was the worst one by far

Given there injury list at the moment I'm not discounting the Saints as wooden spooners but they have a 2 win advantage on Brisbane who will miss Leuenberger and Rich for extended periods.

I'll say Brisbane for the spoon and Peter Wright to be a popular #1 selection whether at Brisbane, Carlton, Melbourne or Bulldogs (current bottom 4 sides)

Roughly, imo:

Best KPF - Peter Wright
Best KPD - Sam Durdin
Best MID - Angus Brayshaw

I thought Wright was a ruck who could play fwd, kind of like Kruezar and Josh Fraser were spruiked to be.. I would be very worried giving up #1 for this type of player, they inevitably end up decent rucks but not good enough to play key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Wright was a ruck who could play fwd, kind of like Kruezar and Josh Fraser were spruiked to be.. I would be very worried giving up #1 for this type of player, they inevitably end up decent rucks but not good enough to play key forward.

My understanding is that it's the other way around, he's a genuine key forward who can play decent stretches in the ruck when required. I'm just going off what I've read though, I don't have first hand knowledge.

I don't think we'll see a ruck get drafted at the no. 1 pick for a long time to come.

I don't think we'll see a ruck get drafted at the no. 1 pick for a long time to come.
That Brodie Grundy wasn't taken until pick 18 despite being touted as a top 3-5 pick all of the 2012 season is an indicator of this also.

If I was in charge of recruiting I would steer clear of any ruck with a first round pick, too many variables and if you look at most of the good ones they have either come of a rookie list, or been traded by other clubs.. Would much rather have another club do all the hard work developing them and then steal them through free agency or a trade once they are ready to go.

My understanding is that it's the other way around, he's a genuine key forward who can play decent stretches in the ruck when required. I'm just going off what I've read though, I don't have first hand knowledge.

He's basically a 200cm key forward, so like Dixon, Daniher, Carlisle or Vickery, will probably have to have that rucking element to his game and at least do it part time.

He's basically a 200cm key forward, so like Dixon, Daniher, Carlisle or Vickery, will probably have to have that rucking element to his game and at least do it part time.

So it is only that he is 200cm that he is being spruiked so highly, what is his footballing ability like, skills, decision making, goal kicking, running etc?? If he was 5cm shorter would he still be a top pick?

So it is only that he is 200cm that he is being spruiked so highly, what is his footballing ability like, skills, decision making, goal kicking, running etc?? If he was 5cm shorter would he still be a top pick?

5cms shorter would still make him 198 :D.

Nah, i haven't seen him extensively, but he's got good hands, is very agile for his size and reads the play pretty well. A good package as a key forward, let alone as a key forward who can ruck a bit as well

That Brodie Grundy wasn't taken until pick 18 despite being touted as a top 3-5 pick all of the 2012 season is an indicator of this also.

Well I think that was a mistake by clubs. As the ruckman the last few in 1st round before Grundy taken awhile to develop where Grundy became our number 1 Ruckman in less then a season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back