List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

My preference for our first pick would be in order:
1. Goddard- Fills a need and is able to play as a KPD or KPF.
2. Pickett- Highly unlikely he will be available but would pretty much be the player that we hoped Josh Simpson would be.
3. Menadue- a skilful back flank that could develop in to a mid. potential replacement for Duffield.
4- Degoey- Would add to a big midfield already. with the ability to play as a back or forward flank as well.
5- Garlett- Would add pace, reminds me of Brad Hill.
I see probably Goddard and Pickett probably not making it to our first pick. All of these players would offer different qualities to the team.

Simpson might still improve.

This is true but I don't think pace is something you can have to much of anyway. Also Simpson has been at the club two years now for two games and spent the majority of this year away from the club because of off field issues so I don't think we can put all our eggs in one basket. Obviously I am still hopeful that Josh can have a long and fantastic AFL career and get his life to where he wants it.

Would Freo take another Jayden? Jayden Laverde if he was still available for our first pick. Same as DeGoey, a Vic metro kid, or will
we go for a key position type with several mentioned in the top twenty.
Have we had much success with metro kids, or is the go home factor an issue?

I don't really share the desire some have for a KPP this year. Any KPP will not be ready for 2-3 yrs minimum and we need KPP's now. By the time we get round to using any new KPP Tabs, Apeness, Smith and A Pearce will have been in the system for 4-5years. So IMHO the only reason to take a KPP is because you think one of the above 4 are carp.

Best of taking best available.

Simpson will be fortunate to be at the club next year. IMHO.
He has either made progress to managing his personal life by the end of the year or the club is going to find it hard to justify keeping him. I would hope that he has made enough progress and we can justify a rookie spot.
But to be honest i don't have much hope of seeing him play consistently for us no matter how good we think he is. From other people's comments here his cultural ties may be too hard to negotiate for people in his situation. I can appreciate the importance of family and I respect that people choose that over other things so full respect to him if that's what he decides. But the club cannot wait forever, consequently I can also understand that he may not get another chance at the end of the year.

I don't really share the desire some have for a KPP this year. Any KPP will not be ready for 2-3 yrs minimum and we need KPP's now. By the time we get round to using any new KPP Tabs, Apeness, Smith and A Pearce will have been in the system for 4-5years. So IMHO the only reason to take a KPP is because you think one of the above 4 are carp.

Best of taking best available.

Simpson will be fortunate to be at the club next year. IMHO.
He has either made progress to managing his personal life by the end of the year or the club is going to find it hard to justify keeping him. I would hope that he has made enough progress and we can justify a rookie spot.
But to be honest i don't have much hope of seeing him play consistently for us no matter how good we think he is. From other people's comments here his cultural ties may be too hard to negotiate for people in his situation. I can appreciate the importance of family and I respect that people choose that over other things so full respect to him if that's what he decides. But the club cannot wait forever, consequently I can also understand that he may not get another chance at the end of the year.

Josh Simpson is staying , the club has told him that they are keeping him on our list . The girl friend and kids are gone and he has to complete an assignment given to him by the club . He will be back for a full preseason ,so I hope this answers your question .
The Club hasn't made any announcement yet but they will soon .
My source is Phil who is at every training session and is on first name basis with all of the players and coaches .

Josh Simpson is staying , the club has told him that they are keeping him on our list . The girl friend and kids are gone and he has to complete an assignment given to by the club . He will be back for a full preseason ,so I hope this answers your question .
My source is Phil who is at every training session and is on first name basis with all of the players and coaches .

i really hope this is true ... mainly because most of us would want josh to succeed

but also because "someone" confidently wagered his BF account that josh is not coming back next year ... it will be good to tell him to **** off

I think Simpson is exactly the type of player we need. Someone with extreme pace, skill and x-factor. That is not enough of a reason to keep him. He has to show that he is capable of taking steps towards becoming a professional AFL footballer, and he has been given the opportunity to do that. Rookie or Main List positions are available to him if he has done that, and I hope he can make it happen. He has been given the support. If we do not keep him, I hope we look for a similar type in the draft.

We have a had a list packed with KPP's in the past, and have been optimistic about their potential to transform into Wayne Carey and Pav jnr. Polak, Murphy, Cambell, Drum etc. High draft picks, decent prospects. Is Smith a better prospect than any of those guys? Does A Pearce have a clear position he is going to work in? Do Apeness and Taberner work well as a package? I would be pretty hay to have a KPP with some class in the mix (Goddard) to add to the grunt style defenders we have in Sylvagni and Dawson, or a KPD who can pull out a lock-down role for us.

In the end we are well placed in this particular draft and with our list needs imo.

Yeah, I don't understand either how they could simply be "gone". Gone where? up north? If so, on what terms? Hoping Josh is in the right headspace for another summer on the track.

He would be dynamite coming in as a sub at the moment if his development had not been interrupted.

personal stuff aside, simpson is a jet, he would be a real asset to the team if he stays and is obviously in good nick physically and mentally. I think in terms of pure talent he is up there with the top few on our list. i don't know if enough people really saw him turn it on in the wafl. i also agree with Gav that if he is gone then another fast highly skilled winger should be a priority for drafting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Simpson is staying , the club has told him that they are keeping him on our list . The girl friend and kids are gone and he has to complete an assignment given to him by the club . He will be back for a full preseason ,so I hope this answers your question .

I can only hope you wrote that without thinking first.:rolleyes:

Onya coulda I see so much potential in this kid once he is fully concentrating on his Footy. He reminds me of mixture of roger hayden and dion woods.

I think Simpson is exactly the type of player we need. Someone with extreme pace, skill and x-factor. That is not enough of a reason to keep him. He has to show that he is capable of taking steps towards becoming a professional AFL footballer, and he has been given the opportunity to do that. Rookie or Main List positions are available to him if he has done that, and I hope he can make it happen. He has been given the support. If we do not keep him, I hope we look for a similar type in the draft.

We have a had a list packed with KPP's in the past, and have been optimistic about their potential to transform into Wayne Carey and Pav jnr. Polak, Murphy, Cambell, Drum etc. High draft picks, decent prospects. Is Smith a better prospect than any of those guys? Does A Pearce have a clear position he is going to work in? Do Apeness and Taberner work well as a package? I would be pretty hay to have a KPP with some class in the mix (Goddard) to add to the grunt style defenders we have in Sylvagni and Dawson, or a KPD who can pull out a lock-down role for us.

In the end we are well placed in this particular draft and with our list needs imo.

What do you mean by well placed in 2014 draft?

I agree I think if he is not on our list after this season then we should go for a Pickett or Garlett in the draft if they are available of course. Someone that could be a replacement for D.Pearce eventually. Apart from Hill and Pearce we don't really have any other line breaking mids coming through.

It will be good to see him stay another year.

personal stuff aside, simpson is a jet, he would be a real asset to the team if he stays and is obviously in good nick physically and mentally. I think in terms of pure talent he is up there with the top few on our list. i don't know if enough people really saw him turn it on in the wafl. i also agree with Gav that if he is gone then another fast highly skilled winger should be a priority for drafting.
Sutcliffe says hi. In all seriousness I agree. Get someone to remove him from hbf and push him to the wing.

Ryan Lim is the speedy back pocket you looking for (Claremont bias very present).. but seriously.. rate him anywhere from the 2nd round onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back