Toast Welcome Luke Lowden and Kyle Cheney

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks to the hawks posters who have popped in here, appreciate the info. Sounds like both guys are ripping club men, which should help them fit in. Looking forward to seeing both get a shot in the pre season next year. Welcome to the crows lads!

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

Reminds me a bit of the Maric trade. Moved for opportunity. No hard feelings and plenty of genuine best wishes from the old club.
I remember a lot of Richmond supporters at the time not being too excited - different story now.

Not expecting a superstar, but I'm optimistic that Cheney can slot into a Torney-type role. Add a bit of hardness in defense, and break even or win his position more often than not. If that's the case, for what we paid I'd consider it well worth it.

As far as trading down from 10 to 14, I think this represents a move away from the conservative mindset that so many have complained about at the club. I like it - gamble, have a crack.

The club's decision to downgrade its first pick raised some eyebrows, but Walsh insisted it was a carefully planned manoeuvre.

"Some people might ask why we pushed back from No.10 to No.14 - that was a calculated decision," he said.

"I'll back in my recruiting team, they tell me the player that they wanted at that pick will still be there at No. 14."
That's fine, but I'd like a poster from the AFC to encrypt this player's name in the sources thread. Would go a long way to restoring credibility.

Get it done Dave B :thumbsu:

I think some of the other Hawks have commented well, especially on the off-field, "culture" stuff - just wanted to add my thoughts.

If Cheney was three inches taller, and ten kilos heavier he'd be an AA KPD. He's not. Plays a little similar to Lake in that he backs his judgement to mark, even against taller players. Relies on strength, balance and 'nudges' in the contest, rather than trying to jump over the top of them. Only ever "beaten" by genuinely quick smalls (Wingard) or the most powerful talls (Hawkins). When he has played AFL, he's played as a KPD and struggled physically (which won't improve). A few times he was trialled in a periphery role (3rd/4th tall) and seemed to get lost in transition, not offering a great deal offensively. IMO was chronically mis-used at Hawthorn where he was seen as a KPD only, and not developed as a running option. That said, gets 99.9% out of his talent, when most AFL players top-out at 80%.

Lowden has the mindset and abilities of a winger. Runs "quick for a big man", has very good skills below his knees for a ruck, and loves to kick the running goal. More likely to take a mark in space, have a run and bounce and kick long than he is to take a contested mark, but purely through his height becomes a strong prescence at VFL level. Has had many, many years to grow into his body, and shows occassional bursts of aggression (is genuine AFL class ruck when he's focussed and angry - but you only see it for minutes at a time a few times each season). Contrasting to Cheney, has oodles of talent, but perhaps not the commitment/aggression you need from a player in his roles.

I wouldn't be suprised if either, both, or neither of them became 100 game players, and think you have done very well.

Welcome to AFC Luke and Kyle :)

2pqrvqv.jpg
24l6as3.jpg

Just looking at Cheney's matchups and you can tell why he looked bad. Gets Hawkins, Pavlich, Tippett, Patton, Brown, Carlisle etc. all guys who are probably 5-10cm and 10-15kg bigger than him. They use him when Lake was out and gave him his #1 matchup when that's not his matchup at all. Not saying we'll magically transform him into a player, but if we're smart on how we use him he could be OK.

That's fine, but I'd like a poster from the AFC to encrypt this player's name in the sources thread. Would go a long way to restoring credibility.

Or find out who #1 is on their draft list and see if he goes before pick #10 and then where #2 is drafted. If the Durdin to GWS at 7 happens then it might make a bit more sense of why they traded down.

I think some of the other Hawks have commented well, especially on the off-field, "culture" stuff - just wanted to add my thoughts.

If Cheney was three inches taller, and ten kilos heavier he'd be an AA KPD. He's not. Plays a little similar to Lake in that he backs his judgement to mark, even against taller players. Relies on strength, balance and 'nudges' in the contest, rather than trying to jump over the top of them. Only ever "beaten" by genuinely quick smalls (Wingard) or the most powerful talls (Hawkins). When he has played AFL, he's played as a KPD and struggled physically (which won't improve). A few times he was trialled in a periphery role (3rd/4th tall) and seemed to get lost in transition, not offering a great deal offensively. IMO was chronically mis-used at Hawthorn where he was seen as a KPD only, and not developed as a running option. That said, gets 99.9% out of his talent, when most AFL players top-out at 80%.

Lowden has the mindset and abilities of a winger. Runs "quick for a big man", has very good skills below his knees for a ruck, and loves to kick the running goal. More likely to take a mark in space, have a run and bounce and kick long than he is to take a contested mark, but purely through his height becomes a strong prescence at VFL level. Has had many, many years to grow into his body, and shows occassional bursts of aggression (is genuine AFL class ruck when he's focussed and angry - but you only see it for minutes at a time a few times each season). Contrasting to Cheney, has oodles of talent, but perhaps not the commitment/aggression you need from a player in his roles.

I wouldn't be suprised if either, both, or neither of them became 100 game players, and think you have done very well.

Sounds very Jenkins like... how is his ruck work?

I think we have traded in more ginger than any team in the history of the game.

Nobes has discovered another secret (left footers not so secret any more). Gingers are easier to spot on the field by team mates (neon white limbs as well as hair) and have improved disposal efficiency to them.

EDIT - Unless we have any players who are red/green colourblind of course - then hard to pick out from the grass.

Last edited:
With regards to the swapped draft picks with Geelong I am more interested in who the Crows think they will get with pick 35 rather than pick 14 (I assumed the recruiters had determined the specific player that they want will still be available).

Likewise I'm curious as to whom Geelong thinks it will get at pick 10 that they didn't think would be available at pick 14.

Just looking at Cheney's matchups and you can tell why he looked bad. Gets Hawkins, Pavlich, Tippett, Patton, Brown, Carlisle etc. all guys who are probably 5-10cm and 10-15kg bigger than him. They use him when Lake was out and gave him his #1 matchup when that's not his matchup at all. Not saying we'll magically transform him into a player, but if we're smart on how we use him he could be OK.

Certainly looks like he was thrown to the wolves. Noble was talking about him on 5AA as being a mid sized defender who can also play on the rangy 190-193cm guys, so I don't think we've grabbed him with the idea of playing him on the giants of the AFL forward lines.

Certainly looks like he was thrown to the wolves. Noble was talking about him on 5AA as being a mid sized defender who can also play on the rangy 190-193cm guys, so I don't think we've grabbed him with the idea of playing him on the giants of the AFL forward lines.
Yea, Talia can take the #1, monsters, but maybe they can use him on the Crameri/Darling/Gunston/Dahlhaus type?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea, Talia can take the #1, monsters, but maybe they can use him on the Crameri/Darling/Gunston/Dahlhaus type?

I would think so. Jack Darling is actually the first player that came to mind when I heard we were into Cheney. Perhaps to take the resting taller midfielders on occasion as well.

Off topic and not sure if theres anything to read in it but Riley Knight is listed as a senior on the AFC website now?

http://www.afc.com.au/season/players/senior

Knight has always been on the senior list. He was taken at 46 in the National Draft last year.

Cheney is a fantastic one on one defender (as long as it isn't the opposition number 1 forward). If you can get away playing him as your third tall, you'll get the best out of him and I can't imagine him being forced out of the side.

So, who was Hawthorn playing on third tall in defence, when Cheney wasn't getting a game?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

First up, who is Dave B?

Second of all. maybe we have identified 2 players that we would use our first pick on and that there is a 99% chance at least 1 of them will be available come pick 14?

The other "sign" we have the one we wanted, will be how quick we read out the name on draft day.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back