2015 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate the Gabba but seeing Port in SEQ twice in one season... AWESOME!

(did actually see us play twice in a season in Bris when we played the Lions in finals)

Last time I went to Gabba for footy ... There was a dog track there ... :)

(Pre bears days ... A game was scheduled there and I was on holidays up there!)

Our first five are harder than last year, our double-up schedule is harder, our last seven are pretty much as difficult as it was last year. The middle period looks a bit easier than the year before but this was when we had our slump and a few of those games could be lost. Good for us that Griffen has gone to GWS and we double up against the Dogs as he was one of the few reasons they had continued to beat us in the past.

Our draw is neither hard nor easy. We should be beating Fremantle, Sydney and Hawthorn...or at least splitting out matches against them. Adelaide we'll account for if we are switched on - don't know why people see an easy draw for them...I can easily see them missing finals again. But then again, I don't rate them at all.

Fremantle, Sydney, North, West Coast, Adelaide - ****, it's like being at a shooting gallery.

I'm sorry but it's genuinely hard whatever way you look at it.

Our 5 double ups are the other 3 of the other top 4 sides in the league, then a crosstown rival that could go either way, then some respite with the Bulldogs.

I guess they see Adelaide as one of our "easy" double ups, which is fair, but Showdowns are always tough.

Freo, Sydney and Hawthorn for double ups is pretty frustrating really.

Having to ******* play Freo again in the last round is ridiculous. Hawthorn get the Lions and Carlton in rounds 22 and 23, Sydney get StKilda, GWS and the Gold Coast in the last 3 weeks. We play Freo in what will almost certainly be a huge game the week before finals while Hawthorn and Sydney are resting guys and tuning up.

Harking back to the olden days, Norwood were a regular opponent of Port's in round 22. Nothing like a tough match to lead into finals. How did getting North in the prelim work out for Sydney? ;)

Our 5 double ups are the other 3 of the other top 4 sides in the league, then a crosstown rival that could go either way, then some respite with the Bulldogs.

I guess they see Adelaide as one of our "easy" double ups, which is fair, but Showdowns are always tough.

Having to ******* play Freo again in the last round is ridiculous. Hawthorn get the Lions and Carlton in rounds 22 and 23, Sydney get StKilda, GWS and the Gold Coast in the last 3 weeks. We play Freo in what will almost certainly be a huge game the week before finals while Hawthorn and Sydney are resting guys and tuning up.

Makes the double up games vitally important. Win 4/6 against Hawthorn/Syd and Freo, and we are looking at 8 point wins, as we are taking points from potential top 4 contenders. This may also give us the ability to rest players in the last few weeks of the season- if we are good enough at the beginning.

On the field wise - very tough. Finish top 4 with that fixture and Port would be odds on for the flag.

Easy wins the week before never guarantee an easy ride the week after. Look at last year or example, Hawthorn just get over the line against us and Sydney have a training run against North. The following week Sydney get absolutely pantsed by Hawthorn. Also 2007, We flog Norf, Geelong win in a slog against Collingwood and the rest is history.

I prefer a tough game going into finals.

Easy wins the week before never guarantee an easy ride the week after. Look at last year or example, Hawthorn just get over the line against us and Sydney have a training run against North. The following week Sydney get absolutely pantsed by Hawthorn. Also 2007, We flog North, Geelong win in a slog against Collingwood and the rest is history.

I prefer a tough game going into finals.

I'm probably more worried about that top 2 spot really. We need to finish top 2 and get our home finals at the Portress. Having to play the other 3 top 4 teams in the league + Showdowns makes that more difficult when there is likely to be a game or two at most in it.

I have no doubt we can beat anyone if we're switched on, but switch out Sydney for Carlton or something similar and our draw is looking a lot more reasonable.

Because playing Fremantle in Round 23 last year really ****ed up our finals campaign...sorry, but I'd rather tune up by playing a quality opponent and hitting the finals hard than easing into it softly and being surprised by the intensity. I rate our side enormously high in both production and potential, because I can see basic skill errors costing us still. I expect most of those to be eliminated next season.

The reason why Sydney and Hawthorn are gifted cushy draws at the end of the season is the age of their list - we don't have that problem. Qualifying final, Adelaide Oval - who do you back: the side that had a training run against a crap opponent, or the side that had good hitout against a quality side like Fremantle?

Yeah, hate those Vics; like Dangerfield, Sloan, B. Crouch, M. Crouch, Talia.....see where I'm going here?

Well put. It's a ****ing idiotic sentiment, isn't it? As though the ****ing clown had been in put cold storage for 30 years and only just woken up FFS.

Anyway. Speaking of whingers, how about that draw of ours. Lemme guess, it's 22 home and away games again? How will we ever cope... :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the chances that port v freo could be Friday night? (Thinking very low due to no vic teams??) It would possibly be our first Saturday arvo game?
Think we should embrace Thursday night footy

Macca19 and FishingRick04 I assume the Podcast will feature the fixture heavily next week. A request / suggestion for subsequent weeks to fill in some of the dead time is a more detailed review of our opponents. I admit I don't watch other teams play much (they are generally as boring as s**t/painful to watch) so I'm not the expert of them. Something along the lines of 5 minutes per team (maybe 4 a podcast?) on how we've matched up against them in the Ken era (pre-Ken being useless) and whether you think they are likely to go better or worse in 2015 then 2014, particularly against Port (based on coach changes, aging list (whether bad like the Hawks/Freo or good like GC / GWS), trades, free agency loss / gain, delistings / retirements etc.).

What are the chances that port v freo could be Friday night? (Thinking very low due to no vic teams??) It would possibly be our first Saturday arvo game?

Port Freo will be Saturday night, Freo have the Sunday Twilight game round 22.

Collingwood Essendon will be the Friday night
Should neither side make the top 8 it will be Hawthorn Carlton

Commercially sound draw but i'm not completely chuffed about the start we've been given. As the 3rd ranked side we play the 1st, 2nd, 4th & 5th ranked sides in the first month and then follow that up with a showdown. I like the bring it on attitude and arguably our best footy has come in the opening rounds of the last 2 seasons but still can't help but feel hard done by.
On the flip side our run home is pretty soft but not sure that is a good thing either.

None seeing Freo's Rd 22 game is at 3-20 AWST on Sunday.

Best we would get is a Saturday 1-40 game to maybe set it up that we play Friday night in week 1 of the finals. But that has many combinations to go before that might happen.

None seeing Freo's Rd 22 game is at 3-20 AWST on Sunday.

Best we would get is a Saturday 1-40 game to maybe set it up that we play Friday night in week 1 of the finals. But that has many combinations to go before that might happen.
Yep, the AFL (again) has clearly set the round 22 game for the Sunday so they can trot it out as the excuse not to give us a Friday night round 23. Gil loves us :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back