Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this. I think Docherty is going to be a good AFL player, but the proposed trade would never happen and Melbourne would be getting royally screwed.

I think of teams like Hawks and Swans

Swans guys like Rohan, Rampe, Bird, Malceski... Guys who can rip teams to shreds out of defense

Hawks again with Birchall, Suckling, Brad Hill, Cyril

My point is you can have an awesome midfield but teams can remain at a in neutral if don't have that class carrying the ball out of defense. Your right maybe Doc may not be worth a player like Christian or Angus but their not exactly established either

I think of teams like Hawks and Swans

Swans guys like Rohan, Rampe, Bird, Malceski... Guys who can rip teams to shreds out of defense

Hawks again with Birchall, Suckling, Brad Hill, Cyril

My point is you can have an awesome midfield but teams can remain at a in neutral if don't have that class carrying the ball out of defense. Your right maybe Doc may not be worth a player like Christian or Angus but their not exactly established either

I agree with this, run out of the half-back is crucial in addition to high disposal efficiency. Its just cristian and angus are in another league in terms of value to docherty. Like I said, no disrespect to docherty as I think he will be a good AFL player but in terms of a trade for these blokes, nope.

A trade for one of these picks would have had to be a proven AFL player, an A grader around the 25 year old mark that could add leadership to Melbourne's young team.

I'm one of the few people that rate Lumumba, but he is only better than Docherty now. Docherty will be a gun and soon will overtake him. The other 2 are comfortably ahead.
According to your BnF he was the 4th player at your club... Probably explains a thing or two then doesn't it??

According to your BnF he was the 4th player at your club... Probably explains a thing or two then doesn't it??

And Chris Yarran was 4th in Carlton's and the year before that Walker was top 2. Heritier is a good player and I'll miss him and the dashing runs he took from half back and the time were he shurgged three tackles in a row. But Walker is an upgrade on him and Yarran showed this season that he can consistently be one of the most damaging players in the comp. Docherty isn't better than him yet but has more natural talent and a higher ceiling.

I don't rate him, makes too many mistakes at critical situations.

What? One OOF mistake against your club? All the other times he's made good decisions under pressure you probably haven't even seen, so give this ridiculous weighting to one incident. I can tell you, your assessment of the player is off and if it takes time for you to see this, so be it.

What? One OOF mistake against your club? All the other times he's made good decisions under pressure you probably haven't even seen, so give this ridiculous weighting to one incident. I can tell you, your assessment of the player is off and if it takes time for you to see this, so be it.

He wasn't basing it on one incident. MistakeS and situationS imply multiple incidents.

Clem Smith at 60 was Carlton's best pick of the draft. If I could change one of Richmond's picks, it would be Smith instead of Drummond at 52.

Boekhorst highly rated performer in WAFL, looks to me will debut R1, Viljio-Rainbow compared to Suckling so picks 19&28 looks to be ok

He wasn't basing it on one incident. MistakeS and situationS imply multiple incidents.

Yes he was and is. I don't care how many S's he adds to his diatribe. This poster has form. He racks on Doc because of one OOF incident against his club that said poster claims cost Carlton the game. This poster just can't get over one incident and pretends it defines the player, but if you actually watch enough of Docherty, you'll know he makes no greater number of crucial errors than is ordinary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just 1 incident, it's many incidents where he hasn't been composed to take the smarter option and has impacted in a turnover or a throw in. This is the most overrating of a bloke I've ever heard on this site, to me he is yet to prove anything at AFL level, and to use a player from my club as an example, he is a mile behind Cam Sutcliffe who plays a similar role.

Boekhorst highly rated performer in WAFL, looks to me will debut R1, Viljio-Rainbow compared to Suckling so picks 19&28 looks to be ok

Allot of half back flanks get compared to Suckling.

Carlton fans fawning over Docherty is cute. Kolodjashnij and McKenzie with Malceski to teach them. Mm mm mmmmnn.

It's not just 1 incident, it's many incidents where he hasn't been composed to take the smarter option and has impacted in a turnover or a throw in.

Name them. Many incidents my arse. I watch all Carlton games and Docherty is simply not the player you're describing here.

... to me he is yet to prove anything at AFL level, and to use a player from my club as an example, he is a mile behind Cam Sutcliffe who plays a similar role.

A mile behind huh? Yeah nah ...

Player Comparison Footywire

Some qualifiers here ... Docherty didn't have a preseason due to injury and only started playing in round 7 due this, he's a year and half younger than Sutcliffe and it was his first season at a new club. Give the kid some credit. He's not a star, but he put in some pretty solid performances throughout the year, which is only more impressive when you consider his situation. Not sure what more we should be expecting of him.

Clearly there's something you're missing about Docherty here and I suggest you've embedded an opinion about the guy from one incident you saw against your own club and can't get over.

Carlton fans fawning over Docherty is cute. Kolodjashnij and McKenzie with Malceski to teach them. Mm mm mmmmnn.
Can I trade you our brilliant Fuller in exchange for your crumby old Kolodjashnij? :( God he's going to be good.

I like Docherty. He's not a star, but he's a valuable contributor to the side. I wanted him at the Dogs last year when he requested a trade to Victoria.

Can I trade you our brilliant Fuller in exchange for your crumby old Kolodjashnij? :( God he's going to be good.

I like Docherty. He's not a star, but he's a valuable contributor to the side. I wanted him at the Dogs last year when he requested a trade to Victoria.

Take Lemmens too.

If you didn't read some of this stuff you wouldn't believe it. :)

I meant in terms of value for money. You probably could have got Boekhorst at 28, but then I guess you wouldn't have got Rainbow.

Name them. Many incidents my arse. I watch all Carlton games and Docherty is simply not the player you're describing here.

A mile behind huh? Yeah nah ...

Player Comparison Footywire

Some qualifiers here ... Docherty didn't have a preseason due to injury and only started playing in round 7 due this, he's a year and half younger than Sutcliffe and it was his first season at a new club. Give the kid some credit. He's not a star, but he put in some pretty solid performances throughout the year, which is only more impressive when you consider his situation. Not sure what more we should be expecting of him.

Clearly there's something you're missing about Docherty here and I suggest you've embedded an opinion about the guy from one incident you saw against your own club and can't get over.
Mate I'm not going to find all the footage and list all the times I have seen Docherty stuff up, I don't rate him highly at this point and he clearly isn't worth a 17 pick upgrade in the first round. He and Sutcliffe were from the same draft so the age has nothing to do with it, Sutlcliffe is a smarter and better user of the footy, which is why I rate him a lot higher. I'm not expecting much from him, he had a pretty good year, but I still think he has a long way to go before we are talking about him as anything more then an above average half back flanker. This discussion started when A comment was made about Docherty and pick 19 being enough for pick 3, which is utter garbage. You don't trade average and above average for excellent.

Mate I'm not going to find all the footage and list all the times I have seen Docherty stuff up, I don't rate him highly at this point and he clearly isn't worth a 17 pick upgrade in the first round.

Firstly, I agree he isn't worth an upgrade from pick 19 to 2. Never said he was.

And I'm sure you're not going to come up with a list of times you've seen Docherty stuff up, because it would be a pretty short list and comparable to most players in the league. I've seen every game Docherty has played for Carlton. You're making s**t up.

He and Sutcliffe were from the same draft so the age has nothing to do with it, Sutlcliffe is a smarter and better user of the footy, which is why I rate him a lot higher.

Crap! Being older does make a difference, just as being drafted in the same year mitigates that difference. Docherty played every game this year as a 20yo, Sutlcliffe played half his as a 22yo. To ignore this in assessing what a player has shown re AFL potential is an oversight.

You can say Sutcliffe is smarter, I say he's not to any degree that he's miles ahead of Docherty. Look at the objective stats and Sutcliffe has above average DE%, with Doc being higher overall for effective disposals; but also in contested ball and clearances, which usually results in lower DE%. Clangers are much the same too. Overall Doc is superior in almost all statistical area despite spending much less time on the ground, being younger, having no preseason and being at a new club, with a new gameplan, new coach and new teammates. That you stick your head in the sand and claim, despite all this, that Docherty is miles behind Sutcliffe on the basis of something that is an embedded misnomer is a joke.

Firstly, I agree he isn't worth an upgrade from pick 19 to 2. Never said he was.

And I'm sure you're not going to come up with a list of times you've seen Docherty stuff up, because it would be a pretty short list and comparable to most players in the league. I've seen every game Docherty has played for Carlton. You're making s**t up.

Crap! Being older does make a difference, just as being drafted in the same year mitigates that difference. Docherty played every game this year as a 20yo, Sutlcliffe played half his as a 22yo. To ignore this in assessing what a player has shown re AFL potential is an oversight.

You can say Sutcliffe is smarter, I say he's not to any degree that he's miles ahead of Docherty. Look at the objective stats and Sutcliffe has above average DE%, with Doc being higher overall for effective disposals; but also in contested ball and clearances, which usually results in lower DE%. Clangers are much the same too. Overall Doc is superior in almost all statistical area despite spending much less time on the ground, being younger, having no preseason and being at a new club, with a new gameplan, new coach and new teammates. That you stick your head in the sand and claim, despite all this, that Docherty is miles behind Sutcliffe on the basis of something that is an embedded misnomer is a joke.
Docherty didn't play ever game this year so stats can lie as Sutcliffe played 7 more games. Sutcliffe played a lot of straight shutdown roles on talks and smalls and the age does have little do do with it. Sutcliffe and Docherty are from the same draft and that is all that matters, they have both been in an AFL environment the same amount of time. I'm not seriously going to look up and find all the times I have seen Docherty miss a target or take the wrong option in a pressured situation. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened. In terms of impact and game changing ability I think Sutcliffe is miles ahead, well maybe the miles was an exaggeration, but he is certainly ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back