2015 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports)

Remove this Banner Ad

Squad for NAB Challenge v St Kilda.

1. Luke McGuane, 4. James Aish, 5. Mitch Robinson, 6. Josh Green, 7. Jed Adcock, 8. Rohan Bewick, 9. Dayne Beams, 10. Daniel Rich, 14. Brent Staker, 15. Dayne Zorko, 17. Claye Beams, 18. Nicholas Robertson, 21. Daniel Merrett, 22. Marco Paparone, 23. Matthew Leuenberger, 25. Daniel McStay, 26. Tom Cutler, 27. Darcy Gardiner, 28. Lewis Taylor, 29. Jaden McGrath, 30. Jack Redden, 31. Harris Andrews, 32. Sam Mayes, 33. Michael Close, 35. Ryan Lester, 38. Tom Rockliff, 32. Justin Clarke, 44. Archie Smith, 47. Zac O’Brien.

Adcock Clarke Gardiner
Rich Merrett McStay
Mayes Rockcliff Aish
D Beams Staker Bewick
Green Close Zorko
Leuy Redden Robinson

Lester Taylor Paparone C Beams

The rest...

It is a strong line up, it looks like Archie will get a bit of game time as Leuy would still have to ne restricted minutes. If we put Martin in there I would be quite happy if that was our Rnd 1 side. I hope I can get it on the radio here is WA :)

It has been long wait, I will record more games for next off season, Go Lions

There's still two more games in pre-season so not everyone has to get a go first up. But seems like the core is warming up together.

No real surprise that we're playing a strong side this week given our intra club was a wash out and its in our backyard. I wouldn't be surprised to see a younger team named for the trip to coffs before we field another full strength side for the game down the GC. Makes sense to rest a few for the one game we travel.

But you gotta admit the headline was exciting - "Carey to play for Lions".
I thought he did?
654568-wayne-carey.jpg

You'd think Andrews and McGrath being selected ahead of Golby and Paine would indicate that we haven't picked our strongest available squad. Relying on the injury list being correct. So perhaps there will be some sort of rotation although you'd think they wanted to select 3 rucks.

Selection time and picking a team is exciting, it will always take the spotlight and raise the strongest of discussions.

I think we are all forgetting however, we will actually be wearing this jersey...
359847_gl.jpg

Not familiar with the player in this photo, but I heard he goes alright.

Rockliff and Redden are both great tacklers in close. Their defensive running to space is not strong though. Our defensive structures have sufferred for a number of years because our midfield do not run hard enough to get where they need to be. This was one of the things that was really evident last year when Paparone was playing and when he wasn't. His weakside run papered over quite a bit of inferior running by the others in the midfield group.

Way to be a buzzkill :cry:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think Andrews and McGrath being selected ahead of Golby and Paine would indicate that we haven't picked our strongest available squad. Relying on the injury list being correct. So perhaps there will be some sort of rotation although you'd think they wanted to select 3 rucks.
Seriously? Andrews has been training the house down and McGrath has a hell of a lot of talent, you realise he was a Vic rep player since under 12's all the way through, would suggest he could play a bit.

Went along to training this afternoon so here goes...

I arrived late and grabbed a spot on the wing which was being occupied by a large portion of the midfield guys doing a drill that I've written about before where they have a ruck situation in which one ruckman bats it down to a midfielder who then handballs to another midfielder while under pressure. They have to maintain possession for a certain time while moving it around until Black would blow the whistle for them to get it out on the spread in the corridor and move it by hand towards the forward 50 and then have a shot on goal. Rocky looked good during this drill, so did Redden. A few of the boys fluffed the kicks on goal, but for the majority they were pretty accurate. The other guys were doing drills but I wasn't in the best position to see what exactly they were doing. Lester, Rich and CBeams were definitely in the backline group.

They then grouped in the middle of the ground for a chat with the coaches and then broke into three different groups, maroon, blue and green. The players were randomly assigned (from what I could tell) with two players in a pink bib who was used as a floater for the drill. From what I could tell the object of the drill was to get the ball from one end of the ground to the other while under significant pressure and try to score a goal. The whistle would blow and one group would run off to be replaced by the other group. A lot of good little competitive acts during this drill and a few kicks that some players would want back.

They then regrouped in the middle and then split into a few different little groups around the ground to do the same drill they did while at UQ in which they would start from the goal square and kick to a contest just outside the 50m arc and then bring it to ground and then handball off to a player moving forward who would then kick it to another group of 3 and then follow the kick to provide and option of a handball. They would then try and finish off the play by either kicking a goal if close enough or they would kick to a waiting three players in the goal square who were looking to begin the drill again down the opposite wing. Archie is a strong human being, he had a contest with Josh Clayton and just tossed him to the ground like a doll, this was after kicking the ball almost out on the full so maybe he was a bit frustrated with his kick. Some good movement from all the players, but some missed handballs, dropped passes took the shine off for me. DBeams gave a nice kick to Leuy in which in went over the opponents head and into Leuys hands while he was running towards goal (ping SizeMatters) he dished off the ball to Greeny who nailed it from 40m out or so.

They then broke into two groups for the final session in which they looked pretty evenly matched except for the forwardline where Close, Staker, McGuane, MRobbo, Green and one other were being marked by Goose, Bourke, Watts, Andrews and McGuiness. This was just a drill in which they really focused on their setups for a stoppage. They would have a boundary throw in, but before the ball was thrown in, Daly would countdown and then blow a whistle and then ask how they were looking. It got to the point where the play would stop while they were making sure everyone was in their correct positions and it wouldn't continue until they were in the right spots.

They then regrouped in the middle and then had some free time in which some of the were practicing goal kicking and others just passing it around.

Any questions and I'll try my best to reply later tonight.

Go Lions!

Really seem to be hammering in the correct structure and positioning this year. I guess we were still learning, plus there would be a couple of changes and new players coming in. To the point that they would stop drills to make sure players are in correct position just really stands out. 1. They really want the players to learn it, 2. The importance being put on our structure and positioning. Our game plan must really rely on our set ups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back