List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Nakia Cockatoo - National Draft selection no. 10

Remove this Banner Ad

It must be remembered IF NK gets a run in the seniors and plays some midfield (as he did against the Crows) - the best way to protect him and make him effective is to have the best ruck at those centre bounces and that means Clark.

If Clark goes into the ruck and all of a sudden our midfield gets more centre breaks and clearances Geelong will be tempted to give Walker and Stanley a trial at CHF.

It seems obvious after Clark kicked 6 goals against the Crows (and 2 against GC) that he will play as a KPF for us for most of his career. But if he becomes a gun ruckman - his services maybe best utilised for the team's best results as a ruckman - and so much a forward.

A lot will depend on other players as well - like Walker, Stanley, Blitz and Simpson (maybe Vardy) and how they go in the VFL and when given senior games.

Right now I think we generally think - 'Let's hope Simpson comes good as first ruck, Stanley becomes a good second ruckman and Clark becomes a really good KPF'. I don't disagree - but if the midfield/rucks continue to be our Achilles heel then we may go for out second best option at CHF and our best option in the ruck.

I am not suggesting to hold him back if starts to tear it up in the VFL every week. If that is the case, like anyone else, he has earned a senior spot.

But has he done enough right now to be best 22 if most of our team is fit ? Maybe but I think also maybe not - and I just do not want to get ahead of ourselves here. I remember Nathan Ablett kicking his first goal in the AFL and the fans were in raptures and many were talking of 'Another Ablett' in the team and what he could do for us.

I would be the happiest Cats fan if Cocky played round 1 and throughout the season and did so effectively. That he won the NAB Rising Star Award. Its not that it can't happen but the odds are against it happening. It would be long odds IMO.

But I do not want to be a killjoy either. He could be a match winner - yes you can sense that about him from limited viewing (and the fact Geelong traded 2 picks for one to ensure having a good chance of getting him) - suggests he may indeed be an X factor player - and a midfielder at that ! Just what the Doctor ordered - and that is why so many Cat's fans are excited by Cocky and (the idea of) Danger being in Cat jumpers.

Heppell and Selwood are examples that break the rule. Come in first year and be a decent AFL standard player. So it has been done but not often - and that's the point I am trying to make.

Very fair and balance post.

I would argue with a full side of 22 players , he is right now in it on talent but conditioning etc not. Just like with Guthrie , id play him early , who knows how long it last but I'm sure the MC will monitor . The upside he adds a high end X factor that we lack.Its excitement , its freshness . Motlop & SJ have it , and if we can get him to bring some of while other do the grunt work , its all upside I feel. Maybe 2 games , maybe 10. He will not play as many as Selwood, Geelong just would allow it to happen.

I am not suggesting to hold him back if starts to tear it up in the VFL every week. If that is the case, like anyone else, he has earned a senior spot.

But has he done enough right now to be best 22 if most of our team is fit ? Maybe but I think also maybe not - and I just do not want to get ahead of ourselves here. I remember Nathan Ablett kicking his first goal in the AFL and the fans were in raptures and many were talking of 'Another Ablett' in the team and what he could do for us.

I would be the happiest Cats fan if Cocky played round 1 and throughout the season and did so effectively. That he won the NAB Rising Star Award. Its not that it can't happen but the odds are against it happening. It would be long odds IMO.

But I do not want to be a killjoy either. He could be a match winner - yes you can sense that about him from limited viewing (and the fact Geelong traded 2 picks for one to ensure having a good chance of getting him) - suggests he may indeed be an X factor player - and a midfielder at that ! Just what the Doctor ordered - and that is why so many Cat's fans are excited by Cocky and (the idea of) Danger being in Cat jumpers.

Heppell and Selwood are examples that break the rule. Come in first year and be a decent AFL standard player. So it has been done but not often - and that's the point I am trying to make.

From what I saw the other day he is definitely ready. Even if you just play him as sub due to conditioning. Cats have got one here....JET!

They need to do the same with Le utensil as what Ablett SNR demanded of the club with regards to junior.
Do not play him as a mid early. Give him 2 years.

Seems to have worked if you ask me.

They need to do the same with Le utensil as what Ablett SNR demanded of the club with regards to junior.

As long as he is given a run through the middle of the ground every now and then. I think it would be a shame not to utilise his ability to accelerate away from congestion. It's a rare skill in our 22.

That said, there will be a few nervous back pockets having to mind him cruising around at the feet of Hawk and Clark.

Disagree. Ablett wasn't as physically or mentally developed at NC5 at the same stage. NC5 is 18 and miles ahead of where Ablett was at the same age.

Disagree. Ablett wasn't as physically or mentally developed at NC5 at the same stage. NC5 is 18 and miles ahead of where Ablett was at the same age.
Like Petracca. Let's hope he doesn't get burnt out then.

C'mon mate, your much better than that.

Injuries like Petracca's can happen to the most seasoned of players.
You missed the point completely.

Dubs actually knows petracca.

Physically maybe. But you get smashed at AFL level.

Mentally? I highly doubt it.

And the fact is a midfield role is a hell of a lot harder now than it was in 2001.
Let him play forward. Roll up and back from the wing.

1 centre effort a quarter maybe.
Don't kill the golden goose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Physically maybe. But you get smashed at AFL level.

Mentally? I highly doubt it.
Completely, Ablett couldnt even look at a camera without shitting his pants. Look at how well Cockatoo deals with the media. Shows that he is much more relaxed and ready for the tough environment of a football club. IMO.

I really couldn't give 2 stuffs about that.

In fact. I must laugh. He was the son of an immortal.
He was protected.

And there was zero media training back then. If I was seniors son. I reckon I'd have to have some metal.
Note: the other son couldn't handle it.

As long as he is given a run through the middle of the ground every now and then. I think it would be a shame not to utilise his ability to accelerate away from congestion. It's a rare skill in our 22.

That said, there will be a few nervous back pockets having to mind him cruising around at the feet of Hawk and Clark.

First year midfielders never play more than limited minutes in the midfield as they don't have conditioning for it, they play mainly up forward and only relief minutes in the midfield. Caddy did it, Duncan did it, Guthrie did it (albeit his minutes were down back rather than forward) and Cockatoo will do it. I'd just be happy to see him anywhere in the 22 regardless of position, because he looks like he will be a very good player.

Not sure where this "play Cockatoo in the middle" idea stems from…he's 18 and while advanced, still doesn't have the hardness required for a midfield role…HFF running around causing havoc between wing and HFF…and crumbing to Hawk and Mitch…

And he won't play every game.

I'd like to add that while not as spectacular, I really like the look of Gregson…his hand and foot skills look top drawer. Could be a big catch…..

Not sure where this "play Cockatoo in the middle" idea stems from…he's 18 and while advanced, still doesn't have the hardness required for a midfield role…HFF running around causing havoc between wing and HFF…and crumbing to Hawk and Mitch…
This is where
:p

Do agree on Gregson too!

C'mon mate, your much better than that.

Injuries like Petracca's can happen to the most seasoned of players.
I should have separated those comments.
I know CP really well and I am not suggesting he is burnt out. The comment was to reflect that Cocky is physically ready to go, like CP.
The burnout was that he doesn't get overused at too young an age.
My error.

I know CP really well and I am not suggesting he is burnt out. The comment was to reflect that Cocky is physically ready to go, like CP.
My error.
Thanks for explaining the confusion there, Vdubs. I never thought badly of your comment as I figured you were saying what could happen to Petracca but that's probably only because I know you're not a nasty sort of bloke. I can see how it could be misinterpreted, though- hopefully we will all learn to give each other the benefit of the doubt and not think the worst of each other.

I can't stop watching this goal even though I have played it quite a few times over since last week :)

The sublime tap by Clark is what started it all in the first place. Can't even remember on one single occasion in which McIntosh or Simpson attempted to gently tap the ball behind their back to one of our midfielders, can you?

The spin by Nakia and then the incredible acceleration is simply beautiful to watch. Exactly like Wojcinski in full flight. The fact this kid can already win contested footy while mixing it on the outside given his terrific foot skills . . . what's Stephen Wells record when given a top 10 selection in recent times? :D Corey, Bartel, Mackie, Selwood, Cockatoo
*cough* 10ACE *cough* :)

There's always one, isn't there?? :p

My error.
Well that explains it, wasn't aware you new Petracca. I probably shouldn't of jumped down your throat like that.

I misinterpreted your post, i should of realized you were better than that. Sorry and thanks for explaining.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back