Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2015 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be able to shed some light on setterfield for you knighter. He is a tall hybrid midfielder who is predominantly outside at the moment but will probably go into the middle with a bigger body and better skill set. His accumulation is good for an outside midfielder but i really liked what he did in the NZ vs AFL Academy game. He looked like Pendlebury with his body shape and his decision making.
Also very good overhead.

So you think this draft is not as weak as people are banging on about? Makes sense as being a lions supporter I have had a natural eye on the top picks of Francis, Schache, & Weitering and know the rest of the lions draft will be dominated by academy picks. But recently I started getting busy looking at the rest of the top 20 type players and came across Bonner who looked pretty bloody good for a late first round type. Reminded me heaps of Duggan who I think proved to be one of the best of the last draft pre-injury

The issue this year is not the first round talent. The issue this year is the lack of depth.

Basically the top end and in my view certainly the first round is fine. Those top two are terrific and the best top two in a long time. The academy talent is incredible and what really helps the first round. But there are still good options available certainly inside the first round, even if they're probably not star/super star level talents there will be very good players in the first round.

On Bonner. Maybe he can be something like a Trent McKenzie or Matt Suckling. He is more penetrating than Duggan and less a midfielder. But he definitely has some positive traits which suggest he can find a position/role as long as you don't expect him to become an on-baller.

In terms of highlight clips. Bonner will have a great deal of very impressive highlights. So he'll be popular with a lot of youtube recruiters.

Where do you see Josh Dunkley going would he be available at say pick 22 the pick we would likely get for Aish off Carlton

I see Dunkley most likely assuming he wants to, going to Sydney. Though even recently there still has been talk that he may not. So who knows.

I anticipate a club with a pick around 20-25 place a bid on Dunkley as a rough guide to where he may be seen by clubs.

Andrews has had a very impressive first season. And he has improved in a really big way so he looks like a seriously good long term player for Brisbane and maybe even among the better picks from last years draft.

I'd slot Andrews into nine overall in my power rankings this year if he was draft eligible, based on what I've seen of him this year. That said if I reviewed last years draft I'd slot Andrews into the top 10 in my power rankings also.

In terms of where Andrews would go this year (forgetting the academy factor). Like my power rankings I'd assume he would fit somewhere into the top 10.
So happy Brisbane picked him up when everyone else overlooked him. The northern academies are going to really strengthen AFL up here, that's for sure.

Greetings NM. With regards to Redden potentially leaving :$ and say we get a pick anywhere from 10-20 what players do you think we may target as an replacement. Assuming we get just draft picks and not a player swap. Would Curnow be a chance to be there at say 15ish?

Also keep in mind we are almost 100% going to take Schache, Keays and probably Hipwood. We would also likely lose Aish for top 20 pick as well so we would spend Aish pick + 2nd rounder to secure the academy prospects.

Greetings NM. With regards to Redden potentially leaving :$ and say we get a pick anywhere from 10-20 what players do you think we may target as an replacement. Assuming we get just draft picks and not a player swap. Would Curnow be a chance to be there at say 15ish? Also keep in mind we are almost 100% going to take Schache.
We would most likely take Keays and Hipwood in this draft range

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any opinion on the top ten kicks in this draft? Sydney desperately need elite foot skills.

In no particular order of quality in terms of kicking.

Schache and Weitering as talls are incredible kicks by position and cases could be made that they're terrific kicks in their own right. Aaron Francis, Darcy Parish, Riley Bonner, Ben Keays, Luke Partington, Bailey Rice and Mitchell Hibberd are all terrific kicks who will get drafted.

I'd also while probably overlooked this year consider of this years draft class William Sexton to be one of the better kicks and certainly inside that top 10 when talking purely ability to kick

Do you see Clayton Oliver moving up the order with his late season form?

Next update I'll have Clayton Oliver in my national draft, somewhere probably inside the second round. I'll save that update till at certainly after this weekends games, with some ladder positions still to be decided.

how does schache compare at the same age to other recent high draft picks ie. boyd patton danahier mccartin hogan?

On talent I'd say arguably better rounded than the lot of them at the same stage (though Hogan in the VFL at that time is harder to gauge so definitely). On performance in that same conversation and I'd say during the u18 championships certainly the most impressive and best performed of that group, but through the TAC Cup much the same as those others and possibly on performance slightly below what Boyd and Patton were offering but similar to Daniher and McCartin.

Who actually becomes the best of these? Probably Hogan with the way he is playing great footy this season. Schache after Hogan has that opportunity to certainly compete for that number two spot of those specific players you mentioned as one who belongs in that conversation.

Greetings NM. With regards to Redden potentially leaving :$ and say we get a pick anywhere from 10-20 what players do you think we may target as an replacement. Assuming we get just draft picks and not a player swap. Would Curnow be a chance to be there at say 15ish?

Also keep in mind we are almost 100% going to take Schache, Keays and probably Hipwood. We would also likely lose Aish for top 20 pick as well so we would spend Aish pick + 2nd rounder to secure the academy prospects.

Curnow may be a chance to be there around 15 given Lever last year made it to 14. I'd say most likely gone, but outside chance to be there at 15ish.

We don't decide what picks match what bids though the AFL would be the ones deciding on where the picks land
Yeah I know but we will have a pick leftover.

1st and 2nd rounder are lock.
Aish pick top 20
Berger compo pick 20
Redden pick top 20

We only have 2 academy prospects rated in top 20 so that leaves us with 2 X top 20 picks leftover to use, assuming we take Schache and get ~pick 15 bids on both Keays and Hipwood.

Jarrod Witts and Scott Lycett are those two I see as open to persuasion if it is made clear that they can take over as the number one ruckmen.

Then there are the likes of Tom Campbell and Will Minson. Gold Coast have surplus ruckmen and don't need both Nicholls and Smith. Kreuzer and Leuenberger are both gettable. A Jon Griffen or Mark Jamar could probably also be had.

So plenty of options out there in what I'd consider a buyers market, with more ruckmen available than teams needing ruckmen.

What would Collingwood want for Witts? Pyke on his last legs, there are still question marks around Naismith and his fitness and Nankervis is earmarked as the Tippett replacement. Witts is also a Sydney boy.

Lycett as a make weight in a Jetta deal also looks quite tasty too.

The Swans must find a ruck this off-season

Yeah I know but we will have a pick leftover.

1st and 2nd rounder are lock.
Aish pick top 20
Berger compo pick 20
Redden pick top 20

We only have 2 academy prospects rated in top 20 so that leaves us with 2 X top 20 picks leftover to use, assuming we take Schache and get ~pick 15 bids on both Keays and Hipwood.

You'd be making out like bandits just getting Schache, Keays and Hipwood - none of them will ever leave Brisbane and they're all top 15 picks.... laughing all the way to the bank.

If I were you I'd package up as much as possible and get as far up the draft board as possible and take one more plus Chol

What would Collingwood want for Witts? Pyke on his last legs, there are still question marks around Naismith and his fitness and Nankervis is earmarked as the Tippett replacement. Witts is also a Sydney boy.

Lycett as a make weight in a Jetta deal also looks quite tasty too.

The Swans must find a ruck this off-season

Witts is from NSW.

The situation at Collingwood is Grundy looms as that long term number one ruckman. Darcy Moore as a key forward who can relieve in the ruck probably is best suited there. Then Mason Cox is playing some seriously good footy at VFL level and is developing at a phenomenal speed, so much so that he may even as soon as next season pass Witts by given he has shown not only the tap ruckwork but also forward of centre is starting to take his contested marks inside 50 and provide scoreboard impact.

Collingwood I anticipate have no intention of moving Witts this offseason and more probably he is someone who may for the right (and a big offer at that) become available. But probably not at the present time unless the deal is incredibly compelling, as going into next season the general assumption is Grundy and Witts share the ruck load with Moore and Cox still developing and Moore able and still to play and still mostly projected to play as a key forward.

I'd probably recommend Sydney failing the ability to sign a Kreuzer or Leuenberger as free agents go after Lycett this season in the scenario Lewis Jetta wants to return to WA, and Lycett should be open to a move given he has been continually underutilised throughout the season and played behind Callum Sinclair. I just don't see Collingwood giving Witts up.

If a trade between Collingwood and Sydney was to happen involving Witts to Sydney. Probably Sam Reid is that most logical piece to come back to Collingwood if he was traded with a pick or future pick that is to Collingwood's liking. Tom Mitchell in a similar trade of Mitchell and a pick for Witts may also be satisfactory in the scenario Collingwood are open to a trade. But it would have to be a very appealing trade, as Collingwood continue and rightly see Witts as part of the clubs future best 22.

Witts is from NSW.

The situation at Collingwood is Grundy looms as that long term number one ruckman. Darcy Moore as a key forward who can relieve in the ruck probably is best suited there. Then Mason Cox is playing some seriously good footy at VFL level and is developing at a phenomenal speed, so much so that he may even as soon as next season pass Witts by given he has shown not only the tap ruckwork but also forward of centre is starting to take his contested marks inside 50 and provide scoreboard impact.

Collingwood I anticipate have no intention of moving Witts this offseason and more probably he is someone who may for the right (and a big offer at that) become available. But probably not at the present time unless the deal is incredibly compelling, as going into next season the general assumption is Grundy and Witts share the ruck load with Moore and Cox still developing and Moore able and still to play and still mostly projected to play as a key forward.

I'd probably recommend Sydney failing the ability to sign a Kreuzer or Leuenberger as free agents go after Lycett this season in the scenario Lewis Jetta wants to return to WA, and Lycett should be open to a move given he has been continually underutilised throughout the season and played behind Callum Sinclair. I just don't see Collingwood giving Witts up.

If a trade between Collingwood and Sydney was to happen involving Witts to Sydney. Probably Sam Reid is that most logical piece to come back to Collingwood if he was traded with a pick or future pick that is to Collingwood's liking. Tom Mitchell in a similar trade of Mitchell and a pick for Witts may also be satisfactory in the scenario Collingwood are open to a trade. But it would have to be a very appealing trade, as Collingwood continue and rightly see Witts as part of the clubs future best 22.

Thanks for the in depth response. I see Witts being squeezed out in the not too distant future and Sydney have a gaping Witts sized hole that needs filling this off season - we can't wait any longer. I was just wondering how highly Collingwood rate him and if it was a possibility. The scenarios you put forward will be too rich for Sydney, no matter how desperate the need.

Jetta is effectively gone (to a WA team) and depending on the trade restrictions I really only see Sydney putting pick upgrade types on the table - Bird, Robinson, Lloyd, Perris, Marsh and probably Towers. None of that will interest Collingwood.... I think next year once Heeney and Mills start to settle we will have to look at a justification of numbers in midfield and that's when the trading might really kick in but we'll already have our ruck by then, so Witts doesn't look like he'll be coming home.

Thanks for the in depth response. I see Witts being squeezed out in the not too distant future and Sydney have a gaping Witts sized hole that needs filling this off season - we can't wait any longer. I was just wondering how highly Collingwood rate him and if it was a possibility. The scenarios you put forward will be too rich for Sydney, no matter how desperate the need.

Jetta is effectively gone (to a WA team) and depending on the trade restrictions I really only see Sydney putting pick upgrade types on the table - Bird, Robinson, Lloyd, Perris, Marsh and probably Towers. None of that will interest Collingwood.... I think next year once Heeney and Mills start to settle we will have to look at a justification of numbers in midfield and that's when the trading might really kick in but we'll already have our ruck by then, so Witts doesn't look like he'll be coming home.

Collingwood would feel very uncomfortable trading Witts at this stage I expect given the time and development they've put into him, and still the general optimism and expectations regarding his performance over the next few seasons.

Collingwood as ruckmen only have Grundy, Witts and Cox. With the likes of Moore, White and Gault more relief ruckmen who are best suited to playing forward. And with Mason Cox just out of the United States and only moving into his second year, while I personally feel he will get senior games next season at some point, given that lack of depth Collingwood most probably even for a "fair trade" would say no based on that relative lack of depth.

So it would take "overs" for Collingwood to feel compelled to consider a Witts trade. As an example, if GWS said, and this is just an example "we'll offer Treloar for Witts" (and Treloar is the better player as a top 20 mid in the game today, and a young mid at that), that's when I'd imagine Collingwood would make the move (with Collingwood knowing from all those years of struggling to find a good ruckman how valuable they are). As I said before, maybe Mitchell, Tippett or Reid and a reasonable pick/pick upgrade may get Collingwood thinking, but probably not quite so eager that they'd agree to the move. But always worth a try, as the Collingwood recruiting staff may well be intrigued by a good key forward or a further high level mid if they can be paired with another piece they find appealing.

In terms of some further players Sydney would benefit from looking at. Tom Campbell, Will Minson and Daniel Currie are some more attainable options, and given they would not require large salaries, they could be at least good enough gets in the interim if say Lycett can't be acquired in a trade of Jetta.

We are has Callum Twoomey have both McKay brother going in the middle round off the first 11-16 going at these pick I would thought one off them could slip into the second or third off the draft have both improved that so which one will called out by the Western Bulldogs on draft in Adelaide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back