Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2015 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep an eye out for Tom De Koning (Dandenong Stingrays/Mt Martha JFC)

195cm, 78kg (ringing wet). Has started the year well in a Fwd/Ruck pairing with Josh Battle. Clunks a big mark and is a nice kick at goal.

Will expect the young rake from Mount Martha to rise fairly rapidly up the rankings sooner rather than later.

Hey knightmare

Port are getting smashed in the midfield this year. I attribute all our defensive problems to our midfield turning it over and handballing to stationary targets inside defensive fifty , and terrible rate of converting forward entries to goals to poor choice of kicks when going into forward fifty.

While many believe we need more inside mids I don't see boak, wines and gray as poor mids or Sam gray , Hartlett, ah chee , young etc as poor inside mids to rotate though there.

Feel the issues out of centre clearances are poor set ups and rushing trying to gather and dispose of the ball. I think we can fix these with a better mid coach and set ups but feel if we need anything out of our midfield it is either inside out mids with time and space who are sharp like gray , pendles etc or outside mids with very good disposal.

I feel all of our spread gut running mids have poor disposal ie Ebert , Toumpas Sam gray etc and Hartletts disposal is up and down.

I reckon port really needs good ball users in this draft whatever the position , but especially either gut running outside mids with great kicks (can find a target reliably is more important then distance ) or inside mids who are super clean at getting ball out of contest to outside options.

Who would be some names that spring to mind with those attributes ?

Feel port needs these types to go forward

Outside gut running mids with very good kicks
Inside mids with clean disposal and good space and time operators.
Chb (194cm+) with very good kick.
hard working 3rd tall forward like okeefe or crows lynch , preferably good kick. (I wanna steal Mayes for this Role to be honest but a 192cm guy who can run and run and outmark would be great)
Matt white replacement. Guy who can absolutely burn off others with leg speed.
Any player who is very naturally clean and skilled

Reckon KM can get us jobs?:drunk:

Support me by reading my articles on ESPN and help ESPN get the views they want and it may open up a pathway for more bigfooty users to find their way into the media or into clubland.

Hey knightmare

Port are getting smashed in the midfield this year. I attribute all our defensive problems to our midfield turning it over and handballing to stationary targets inside defensive fifty , and terrible rate of converting forward entries to goals to poor choice of kicks when going into forward fifty.

While many believe we need more inside mids I don't see boak, wines and gray as poor mids or Sam gray , Hartlett, ah chee , young etc as poor inside mids to rotate though there.

Feel the issues out of centre clearances are poor set ups and rushing trying to gather and dispose of the ball. I think we can fix these with a better mid coach and set ups but feel if we need anything out of our midfield it is either inside out mids with time and space who are sharp like gray , pendles etc or outside mids with very good disposal.

I feel all of our spread gut running mids have poor disposal ie Ebert , Toumpas Sam gray etc and Hartletts disposal is up and down.

I reckon port really needs good ball users in this draft whatever the position , but especially either gut running outside mids with great kicks (can find a target reliably is more important then distance ) or inside mids who are super clean at getting ball out of contest to outside options.

Who would be some names that spring to mind with those attributes ?

Feel port needs these types to go forward

Outside gut running mids with very good kicks
Inside mids with clean disposal and good space and time operators.
Chb (194cm+) with very good kick.
hard working 3rd tall forward like okeefe or crows lynch , preferably good kick. (I wanna steal Mayes for this Role to be honest but a 192cm guy who can run and run and outmark would be great)
Matt white replacement. Guy who can absolutely burn off others with leg speed.
Any player who is very naturally clean and skilled

Not a short want list.

Sam Petrevski-Seton and Jy Simpkin are the two star outside players in this draft. Petrevski-Seton with his running (also incredible duel sided user in his own right) and Simpkin with his ball use (but also quick).

McCluggage as an inside mid I like with his pace, ball use and overall tricks.

Down back Rotham and Schrimshaw for offense are the guys to look out for. Both can rebound and use the ball.

They're some names to watch out for based on those list needs.

Support me by reading my articles on ESPN and help ESPN get the views they want and it may open up a pathway for more bigfooty users to find their way into the media or into clubland.

Not a short want list.

Sam Petrevski-Seton and Jy Simpkin are the two star outside players in this draft. Petrevski-Seton with his running (also incredible duel sided user in his own right) and Simpkin with his ball use (but also quick).

McCluggage as an inside mid I like with his pace, ball use and overall tricks.

Down back Rotham and Schrimshaw for offense are the guys to look out for. Both can rebound and use the ball.

They're some names to watch out for based on those list needs.
All over the support mate, been following your work for 2 years and it's great to see anyone put in that effort and passion seeing genuine rewards. With that being mentioned, you're work is the most detailed and unbiased going around. For non-bigfooty AFL fans, it's really going to catch on. Last years draft night had the biggest emphsis on media coverage to date. I'll be sharing your link and getting the good word out.

Know anything about Sam Fowler Knightmare?

Seems like a bit of a bolt from the blue, even at this early stage

Yet to catch Dandenong this season. May go see Dandenong v Western this weekend though and get a first look at him.

Fowler is hitting the scoreboard but will want to start finding more of the footy.

Only 169cm so he'd really need to have freakish goalsense and have a high level pressure game. Probably would want to start getting his hands on the footy more also.

Managed to catch any of Shawn Watson mate?

Have yet to see QLD play this year.

Watson hit the scoreboard v Western. Pretty good numbers (4 goals, 3 behinds) and 7 marks for a 196cm key forward. Looking at his numbers though he probably needs to find more of the footy around the ground and start taking some contested grabs (based on the 2 game sample size so far for QLD this season).

loved the latest article mate....but Rolls is thankfully a Brisbane Academy prospect not GC :p

Thanks for picking it up.

Alas, the time pressure of a 1pm deadline with the TAC Cup stats only up at 11:45ish today did me no favours.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big fan of Dodge, can't wait to see him in the champs this year.

I loved Dodge's game last year and probably moved him down my power rankings more than I should have due to the lack of talk about him in clubland.

Despite his special performance v Eastern I even still love Dodge as a forward. He is such a dynamic ground level player up forward that there is room for him, with his goalsense, ability to win the ground balls/contested balls and take a grab all excellent qualities that to me made Dodge look like a worthwhile AFL forward. But having that string to his bow now, being able to run off a back flank. If he performs like that in that role consistently, he can really greatly increase his draftability and get back onto club radars.

I loved Dodge's game last year and probably moved him down my power rankings more than I should have due to the lack of talk about him in clubland.

Despite his special performance v Eastern I even still love Dodge as a forward. He is such a dynamic ground level player up forward that there is room for him, with his goalsense, ability to win the ground balls/contested balls and take a grab all excellent qualities that to me made Dodge look like a worthwhile AFL forward. But having that string to his bow now, being able to run off a back flank. If he performs like that in that role consistently, he can really greatly increase his draftability and get back onto club radars.
You don't need to sell him to me. Some guys are just natural footballers that will play well wherever you put them. Dodge is one of these players.

Honestly don't see a massive difference between him and Ainsworth.

Know anything about Sam Fowler Knightmare?

Seems like a bit of a bolt from the blue, even at this early stage

Led the goal kicking at Dromana FC as a 17 year old. Bit of a bolter but did e trembly well against men in a strong physical competition. Dromana have always been a strong club too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back