Traded Chris Yarran [to Richmond for Pick 19]

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically in the 60's to early 80s Carlton had the best country recruiting zone followed by Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond. Hence their dominance

Most of the other clubs were given sh1t zones hence their struggles, was quite an unfair system

Look pretty fair to me

Carlton- Bendigo and Northern Suburbs (Broadmeadows,Lalor,Thomastown) also Boronia area.
Collingwood- Western Border and Heidelberg,Preston area
Essendon- Wimmera and Essendon,Keilor area also Ringwood.
Fitzroy- Hampden and Doncaster,Templestowe area
Footscray- Latrobe Valley and Yarraville,Braybrook,Melton area.
Geelong- Geelong area and Deniliquin,Finley,Corbram (Murray F.L)
Hawthorn- West Gippsland and Kew,Hawthorn area also Frankston,Rosebud area
Melbourne- Goulburn Valley and Mordialloc,Cheltenham area
North Melbourne- Ovens and Murray and Westmeadows,Jacana area also Ferntree Gully area
Richmond- Sunraysia and Waverley area
St.Kilda- Ballarat and Karingal,Mt.Eliza,Seaford Dandenong area
Sydney- Riverina and Noble Park,Springvale and Williamstown area

"Only" averaging 0.76 goals for a someone who plays mostly in defence is pretty flattering imo. In comparison Heath Shaw has kicked two goals in the last 3 years. Yarran's downside is small number of possessions, doesn't help that he's been playing in a team incapable of feeding the ball to outside runners.

No he was played forward for a while, so his goal average flatters him being known as only a defender

That last point may be true. His output may increase in a different team with a different style

Look pretty fair to me

Carlton- Bendigo and Northern Suburbs (Broadmeadows,Lalor,Thomastown) also Boronia area.
Collingwood- Western Border and Heidelberg,Preston area
Essendon- Wimmera and Essendon,Keilor area also Ringwood.
Fitzroy- Hampden and Doncaster,Templestowe area
Footscray- Latrobe Valley and Yarraville,Braybrook,Melton area.
Geelong- Geelong area and Deniliquin,Finley,Corbram (Murray F.L)
Hawthorn- West Gippsland and Kew,Hawthorn area also Frankston,Rosebud area
Melbourne- Goulburn Valley and Mordialloc,Cheltenham area
North Melbourne- Ovens and Murray and Westmeadows,Jacana area also Ferntree Gully area
Richmond- Sunraysia and Waverley area
St.Kilda- Ballarat and Karingal,Mt.Eliza,Seaford Dandenong area
Sydney- Riverina and Noble Park,Springvale and Williamstown area

Some good players came out of Bendigo, Northern suburbs...Kouta, Christou Hamil I think...top of my head

Mate look at the zones for Fitzroy, Footscray, Melbourne not that flattering

Nicholls is an AFL legend hall of famer shouldn't talk about footy legends with direspect.

We have won one flag under AFL system -- most players already had long term contracts pre AFL so not much we can do there...but played in a grand final in 1999 and won a few more finals along the way.. you?

OMG I don't care if he is Pontiff he is a criminal, don't you tell me I have to be respectful of him, a drink driver was responsible for the deaths of four of my family members, should I respect him? If that's the way you want it we will continue to say that Carlton have won one flag then, one more than Richmond, which I'm more than confident we will be even before you advance to two.

Oh and I apologise for posting actual discussion points in amongst the bay style shitfight going on.

It's hilarious how desperate Tigers posters are to undersell Yarran's worth/value/abilities on the one hand; & how badly they are chasing him & would like to procure/acquire his services on the other.:thumbsu:

Bespeaks of both desperation & a projected illusory wish fulfillment....Kinda like their past 3 finals series in a way....Looking for a steal, but fooling no one in their fumbling attempts to do so.

Meanwhile back on planet earth: Hawks-"What do you want for Yarran'?....Blues-'First rounder'!....Hawks-'Done'!....Here's pick 18 & we'll give you a player for your troubles/loss. Gus Litherland is looking for regular senior footy.;)

Interesting that pretty much all Hawks fans are saying they'd jump at #18 for Yarran (as they should) but Tigers reckon no more than a mid second rounder...
Pick 18 might as well be a second rounder...

Fact of the matter is yarran is not worth pick 12....I'm sure Richmond are looking at ways to get a later pick that should satisfy both clubs... Late teens early 20's. (Maybe brisbanes pick 21).

Carlton fans need to wake up to the value of yarran. I don't want to hear about him finishing top 5 in carltons bnf in 2014...it means nothing....Dean Terlich finished top 5 in melbournes bnf in 2014....does that mean he's worth a first round pick?

And the fact he was originally drafted with pick 6 or whatever it was means absolutely nothing....

Reality is he's been playing twos in a wooden spoon side....he CAN be damaging, he CAN be a match winner but not often or recent enough....he comes with a significant risk.

No - if you watch football between 2011-2014 he was exceptopnally good... goes missing etc is all rubbish..in an inform team he flies more than others.. in a struggling team he struggles more than others...that's why is the cream not the cake.
He was alright, not terrible but not that great, only finished inside your top 10 once in his career, and averages the same numbers as tigers first year McIntosh who shows a heck of a lot more upside. Yaz comes with baggage and his performances this year damage the value that he had, a pick inside the 20's in what he is worth and that is taking into account his potential to improve.

So this is one person's rating of each game right? Entirely subjective. What data do they consider? Did the player win their contest or lose it? Did they weigh up mostly stats or opportunities?

I'll throw this in again and challenge you to find a more sophisticated ratings system. Not perfect, but we are looking contest to contest so players can't be judged on contests they are not even involved in.

Reminder that their current ranking is based on their last 40 games, not ancient history.

Now I agree we should talk but while I'm looking for this light you speak of, how about you go looking for the big picture.

Well I think SEN a radio station that commentates the football is a fair enough assessment on a players output

After all we honour the Brownlow, Best & Fairest and players award and they are based on peoples perception, not stats

But I believe their is truth every where you look at, stats say one thing, watching a player says another

Let me ask you this...do your stats tell us who his opposition was? Did he pick up the best small forward or the 3rd best?
Does it take into account his % off play involvements, sure he may win a better % but if he is only involved in 20% of the play as opposed to 40%, what does that tell you? ie goes missing more often than not?

No one has denied he is not a good user of the ball...but at what rate

I think watching a player tells the best story ;-)

Pick 18 might as well be a second rounder...

Fact of the matter is yarran is not worth pick 12....I'm sure Richmond are looking at ways to get a later pick that should satisfy both clubs... Late teens early 20's. (Maybe brisbanes pick 21).

Carlton fans need to wake up to the value of yarran. I don't want to hear about him finishing top 5 in carltons bnf in 2014...it means nothing....Dean Terlich finished top 5 in melbournes bnf in 2014....does that mean he's worth a first round pick?

And the fact he was originally drafted with pick 6 or whatever it was means absolutely nothing....

Reality is he's been playing twos in a wooden spoon side....he CAN be damaging, he CAN be a match winner but not often or recent enough....he comes with a significant risk.

Massive yawn again. Carlton fans need to wake up blah blah blah.

Then trots out the same tired old line .... he's being playing twos in a wooden spoon side.

For the fiftieth time to another newcomer to the game .... he was dropped initially for discipline reasons in that he was late to team meetings a few times in the one week. He then fought his way back.

He was then dropped because he didn't put in on a few glaring occasions which was a breach of our on field expectations. His form aside from those instances was perfectly fine. This part all happened AFTER it was announced Richmond had approached him. He got another late game in the seniors and then was injured for the last round.

He played all of 4 VFL games this year and you guys continually label him a VFL player in a wooden spoon side as though it actually means something.

How about you learn something about the player your team is chasing, instead of disrespecting a player you may have on your list based on parroting what your fellow supporters are saying about him.

If you want to break down his career or games properly and have a discussion about those, let's do that. Just repeating the same old stuff to supporters who know a lot more about him and his circumstances than 99% of you is pointless.

It's hilarious how desperate Tigers posters are to undersell Yarran's worth/value/abilities on the one hand; & how badly they are chasing him & would like to procure/acquire his services on the other.:thumbsu:

Bespeaks of both desperation & a projected illusory wish fulfillment....Kinda like their past 3 finals series in a way....Looking for a steal, but fooling no one in their fumbling attempts to do so.

Meanwhile back on planet earth: Hawks-"What do you want for Yarran'?....Blues-'First rounder'!....Hawks-'Done'!....Here's pick 18 & we'll give you a player for your troubles/loss. Gus Litherland is looking for regular senior footy.;)
Don't break your arm there wanking yourself off, mate. Take him for pick 18 if the Hawks want him, if he's coming to the tigers though, we'd rather keep our first round pick.

Well I think SEN a radio station that commentates the football is a fair enough assessment on a players output

After all we honour the Brownlow, Best & Fairest and players award and they are based on peoples perception, not stats

Those AFL ratings are not just stats, they are based on every action at the contest that creates a positive or negative result.

Let me ask you this...do your stats tell us who his opposition was? Did he pick up the best small forward or the 3rd best?

No but Yarran usually gets the quickest, most dangerous opposition runner at half back. We try not to let him get isolated forward, not because he can't defend but because its blunts his greatest weapon.

Does it take into account his % off play involvements, sure he may win a better % but if he is only involved in 20% of the play as opposed to 40%, what does that tell you? ie goes missing more often than not?

Or it tells you just what I said ... opposition coaches plan to not have the ball in his area in open spaces because he will carve them up.

No one has denied he is not a good user of the ball...but at what rate

You want to talk disposal efficiency here? So where was the ball gathered? What options were around? How much pressure? Certainly not easy being a defender at Carlton. Most would find it tougher than where they are now.

I think watching a player tells the best story ;-)

Do you? Good. I've watched every single game he has played.

Don't break your arm there wanking yourself off, mate. Take him for pick 18 if the Hawks want him, if he's coming to the tigers though, we'd rather keep our first round pick.

The eloquence is shining through. You must be the spokesperson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he was played forward for a while, so his goal average flatters him being known as only a defender
That's partially true but he was only played consistently up forward in his first 2 years, the bulk of the 60 odd goals he kicked over 2011-2014 was running off half back with the occasional stint up forward here and there. I can definitely recall him kicking more goals running through the middle than playing as a small forward.

That's partially true but he was only played consistently up forward in his first 2 years, the bulk of the 60 odd goals he kicked over 2011-2014 was running off half back with the occasional stint up forward here and there. I can definitely recall him kicking more goals running through the middle than playing as a small forward.

Correct. Hasn't had many stints as a permanent forward so has not got into the groove in that role. Is far better linking up all the way up the ground and streaming towards the forward 50. If a team wants to move him up the ground, he should be half forward working up to the wings, not starting out of the forward pocket. You don't break lines as a deep forward.

Article on Realfooty saying the Hawks are not looking to trade in players as they have a tight cap this year.

Same thing was said last year....Article in the HUN saying we have acquired after Yarran....If we lose all of Suckling, Whitex & Schoey, including Hale & Lake, then we'll have the room!

The eloquence is shining through. You must be the spokesperson.
Rick & Morty quote, I probably use it too much.

I think Kamdyn McIntosh can be used as a comparison for Yarran. They both provide run and carry out of defence, can play on a wing or in the middle if necessary, elite runners, etc. Yaz was pick 6, McIntosh was 31.

Yarran's best year (2014) was only marginally better than McIntosh's this year, which was his debut for seniors. Also keep in mind that Kmac was playing defensive roles on players like Hill for Freo, and Smith for Hawks, which put the brakes on what he can do offensively a bit. He doesn't have the licence to attack like Yarran did.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=4&pid2=3112&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2014

What would you offer for McIntosh, who comes without the baggage of Yarran's 2015, and is younger and has a body shape that you could mould into any sort of position (almost tall enough for a very athletic tall forward, strong enough for a big midfielder, keep him lean to run all day on a wing). A first round pick?

My point is, Yarran is good, but he isn't worth pick 12 considering the baggage, his stats in 2014 stacked up against a similar first year player for RFC, and the fact that he has walked out on CFC.

Classy....Exemplary of Tigers feral-dom....Don't go breaking any demographic molds there now.

Saints were compensated for McEvoy with picks 19, 20 & Savage....We got Big Boy & pick 24 in return....We reward clubs who help facilitate our success.

McEvoy was offered to us, which then helped the Saints acquire Billy Longer from Brisbane....That's called quid-pro-quo....Sumfin the Tigers know nothing about....Little wonder then, why you remain stuck in mediocrity.

Those AFL ratings are not just stats, they are based on every action at the contest that creates a positive or negative result.

No but Yarran usually gets the quickest, most dangerous opposition runner at half back. We try not to let him get isolated forward, not because he can't defend but because its blunts his greatest weapon.

Or it tells you just what I said ... opposition coaches plan to not have the ball in his area in open spaces because he will carve them up.

You want to talk disposal efficiency here? So where was the ball gathered? What options were around? How much pressure? Certainly not easy being a defender at Carlton. Most would find it tougher than where they are now.

Do you? Good. I've watched every single game he has played.

And I don't doubt you. But from what I've seen he is not that dominant consistent player.

Without quoting all that Tig22, I never asked for Pick 12. I'd be happy to take Hawthorn's Pick 18.

While I am not adverse to using stats to my advantage at times, I do like the algorithms of the AFL ratings, especially since a player can't rack up a stat if he is not used by his teammates, or not involved in the contest because the ball is not following him.

I think we can agree that as one of the worst sides for turnovers, and with nothing resembling a real game plan, Yarran's job was a lot harder than McIntosh's. I'm also not sure that McIntosh would be singled out for having a defensive forward playing on him.

And I don't doubt you. But from what I've seen he is not that dominant consistent player.

From my perspective, he is the most skilled electrifying player I have seen come through Carlton in a long time. I'm genuinely pissed that we can't hold on to him and pissed that he threw in the towel on us. It's self defence mechanism because of the despair we have felt this year that we like to convince ourselves we don't need him, that we're better off without him, but it really grates because he has been a great source of joy over the years and has so much more to come.

I consider him more of a complete footballer than say ... Eddie Betts, but their skill set is different. Eddie just keeps turning up whereas playing in an overworked defence, Yarran turned it up.

Truth is, I don't want you guys to get him, partly because I don't want him improving you, don't want him to play well against us wearing your guernsey, and because most of your supporters have totally disrespected him just to get an outcome in a cyber trade that amounts to nothing. I feel sad for him that he won't get the love we gave him.

Classy....Exemplary of Tigers feral-dom....Don't go breaking any demographic molds there now.

Saints were compensated for McEvoy with picks 19, 20 & Savage....We got Big Boy & pick 24 in return....We reward clubs who help facilitate our success.

McEvoy was offered to us, which then helped the Saints acquire Billy Longer from Brisbane....That's called quid-pro-quo....Sumfin the Tigers know nothing about....Little wonder then, why you remain stuck in mediocrity.
Hahaha, you condescending mug. What do you expect me to do with this recent trade history lesson? Change my opinion on Yarran's value? Lol

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-rabbits-in-hawks-trade-hat-20151007-gk3med.html

Hawks football manager Chris Fagan said the club would be unlikely to do anything in this trade period due to a very tight salary cap – even after the retirements of Brian Lake and David Hale – and the need for younger players to be given their chance.

"We won't be doing anything in the trade period this year, I would not have thought," Fagan said.

"We are tight in our cap and we are just looking at going to the draft, not bringing in players from others clubs.

"We have young players inside the club now that we just need to start playing, otherwise you run the risk of losing them.

"They start to get frustrated and other clubs are looking at them and asking the question. We have put time into those players and they have put time into the club and you need to play them, so I would not think we will be doing anything about bringing players in from other clubs."

Righto, so direct quotes from Fagan that they don't want any more experienced players from other clubs

Vs.

Rumour on 3AW with no quotes or source

:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

It's probably the Blues themselves starting the "Hawks interested in Yarran" rumours to drive up the price! :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back