Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Our first from this year and our second from next year is the rumoured deal. Stop acting as if we're somehow giving away every pick we have for Treloar. Christ, no club would be giving up a top 10 pick for Aish this year anyway.

So we need to take unders on a kid we've put in 2 years of work and spent pick 7 on?

Is that how you feel about Freeman going to the Saints for peanuts after two years? After all, there were only 3 picks between them.
To an extent, the difference is, one player has shown to be worthy of his draft standing, and the other has sadly had to deal with repeat injuries since being drafted. Regardless of the pick difference, most neutrals would agree that Aish has the higher upside (more to do with football skill and smarts as opposed to athletic capabilities). Most would also agree that Aish probably slipped lower than most would have guessed and that Collingwood reached (slightly) for Freeman. If Freeman had showed something similar to Aish to this point in their careers, then yes I would feel the same about that.

Yes. So why is your fellow Collingwood supporter melting down this time around when it's reasonably likely that it's PR Spin 101 again? :)
Because we had at least started contract negotiations by that stage, and even if we'd gone through with it he still had a year to go on his contract so we weren't going to lose him for nothing like you guys are threatening to do...

Because we had at least started contract negotiations by that stage, and even if we'd gone through with it he still had a year to go on his contract so we weren't going to lose him for nothing like you guys are threatening to do...

We have tried to hold contract talks with Aish, told him we were willing to give him 400k a year not long after we signed him and provide him with long term job security. Instead he puts it off once, twice and then a third them, then tells us to get stuffed because he wants to go sit by Buckleys throne at Collingwood. You can see why we are a bit annoyed, yeah?

I wonder if Aish would entertaining sitting out the season. We could pay him outside the cap 500k to play in our VFL team and promise to pick him up in 2017 when we will be really ready to go. Alternatively he could just tell whoever drafts him that he wants lots of money and will leave at the end of his contract, not try etc. I doubt many clubs will be interested if he does that.

It wouldn't be great form by Aish but it is indisuptable that Brisbane have driven him to act that way. With any luck it will prove such a farce that the AFL will free up the rules for players leaving clubs that they don't particularly like.

So we need to take unders on a kid we've put in 2 years of work and spent pick 7 on?
That depends on your clubs definition of unders. We're going to get a broomstick with no lube for Freeman, I doubt Collingwood will be anywhere near as brutal as that.
Fact is though that pick 7 for Aish is now overs. You would never have gotten that from us anyway.

I wonder if Aish would entertaining sitting out the season. We could pay him outside the cap 500k to play in our VFL team and promise to pick him up in 2017 when we will be really ready to go. Alternatively he could just tell whoever drafts him that he wants lots of money and will leave at the end of his contract, not try etc. I doubt many clubs will be interested if he does that.

Er...

If the Lions let Aish go for nothing then surely they can never ask for a priority pick again.

Right, take a stance and be punished forever after. Good call.

That depends on your clubs definition of unders. We're going to get a broomstick with no lube for Freeman, I doubt Collingwood will be anywhere near as brutal as that.
Fact is though that pick 7 for Aish is now overs. You would never have gotten that from us anyway.

At this stage, ANYTHING we let Aish go for that isnt what we originally paid for him is unders, from our CLUBS perspective, its current development and the investment in him. It isnt a choice between getting something or nothing. We are getting either nothing or next to nothing. So we either let the wider AFL see us as an easy trade target when it comes to first rounders or we say no more, and let him try his luck in the draft and hope he enjoys Carlton.

At this stage, ANYTHING we let Aish go for that isnt what we originally paid for him is unders, from our CLUBS perspective, its current development and the investment in him. It isnt a choice between getting something or nothing. We are getting either nothing or next to nothing. So we either let the wider AFL see us as an easy trade target when it comes to first rounders or we say no more, and let him try his luck in the draft and hope he enjoys Carlton.
Your investment in him has made him worse than when he was drafted. Second round pick is good value for a player who has become damaged goods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if Aish would entertaining sitting out the season. We could pay him outside the cap 500k to play in our VFL team and promise to pick him up in 2017 when we will be really ready to go..

What about one of those channel 9 deals that Clokey has?

I'm hoping we get some magic trade done on Monday but I'm sure it'll go down to the wire.

Why couldn't he have nominated Carlton. Sneaky little prince.
Wouldn't that be the worst case scenario for you guys?

"Either re-sign with us James, or we'll send you to the PSD to your club of choice for free!"

We have tried to hold contract talks with Aish, told him we were willing to give him 400k a year not long after we signed him and provide him with long term job security. Instead he puts it off once, twice and then a third them, then tells us to get stuffed because he wants to go sit by Buckleys throne at Collingwood. You can see why we are a bit annoyed, yeah?
From a one eyed supporters point of view I can completely understand being annoyed. But if he didn't want to play in Brisbane next year then he had no reason to sign the contract you guys were offering. It depends how you word it, if you say he kept putting it off to imply that he led you on, it obviously sounds worse. If you just admit he continually rejected your contract offers then he hasn't really wronged anyone. He rejected your contract offers and notified you of his intent to leave before the trade period even begun. The Lions are now trying to use terminology which implies that Aish has committed a heinous act to justify their outrage.

From a one eyed supporters point of view I can completely understand being annoyed. But if he didn't want to play in Brisbane next year then he had no reason to sign the contract you guys were offering. It depends how you word it, if you say he kept putting it off to imply that he led you on, it obviously sounds worse. If you just admit he continually rejected your contract offers then he hasn't really wronged anyone. He rejected your contract offers and notified you of his intent to leave before the trade period even begun. The Lions are now trying to use terminology which implies that Aish has committed a heinous act to justify their outrage.

He didnt reject he simply said he wasnt prepared to talk contract extentions YET. He kept wanting to discuss it at the end of the season, then pre-season and then this season. Then, we go to Pickers and say hey, whats the go, and Pickers says "He wants to go to Collingwood and only Collingwood, no where else, just them."

Excuse me? How the hell does that work?
Confidence shot, poor injury management, skills have dropped. He's pretty much dropped off right across the board since being drafted. He was better as a 16 year than he is now.

Wouldn't that be the worst case scenario for you guys?

"Either re-sign with us James, or we'll send you to the PSD to your club of choice for free!"

If you believe the posturing then yeah but it's abundantly clear a trade will happen so I'd rather grab Casaboult and Bell for Aish and be done with it.

As it stands Collingwood are probably going to offer their second rounder+spudatron so I'm not too excited

Balme is a bit of a hypocrite considering how Collingwood tried to push Witts out.

Loyalty is a two way street.

They did? Don't believe everything Jon Ralph tells you.

Who is to say GWS didn't ask of Witts and not the other way around?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back