Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't quite get Brisbane's stance with making an example of Aish. What exactly are they trying to achieve?

Make a point to the AFL showing they're sick of young high picks leaving after their initial contract?
Make a point to their own current and future players that they won't help them if they want to go to a particular destination when out of contract, in a way to discourage players from leaving?
Make a point to Collingwood that they would rather see Aish go anywhere for free rather than to us?

Whichever point they are trying to make and to whom, I think they're doing it poorly. I'm not quite sure what sending Aish to the national draft will achieve and they've narrowed the options very early ('it's Brisbane or the draft' repeated by the highest representatives of the club).

In all likelihood, they won't accept a trade because Collingwood don't hold assets to make a crazy 'overs' offer (not after the Treloar deal which will be the priority) so Aish will nominate for the draft, and may get picked up by the Pies with a pick in the 20s, or by another club with a pick before that around 10-20. In the end, I think Brisbane gain nothing, no assets, no better treatment from the AFL, no better culture for the club and playing group.

Last edited:
Of course they would. If Aish wanted to do there... Talking to Hawks supporters they really rate Anderson, to the point they might consider Anderson and 18 overs for Aish.

They do rate him highly. If that were the deal they may want a later a pick come back to them.

If you actually think about it, it makes almost 0 sense for him to nominate Collingwood.
????
Players 'nominate' clubs after having multiple discussions with that club. They chat about potential roles, where they fit in and salary etc.

If a player is happier with what the new club is proposing compared to where they are now, then they 'nominate' to go there.

Aish is no different to Freeman, both first rd picks who want out after 2 years and hv nominated a club they want to go to.

The difference is Brisbane are a rabble, so are now in panic mode and hv chosen to make an example out of Aish.

Yeah, but Hawks could offer their 1st rounder and Anderson who when fit would be best 22 at Adelaide.

Hawks could offer 18+ Anderson which is better than anything Geelong could come up with but we wont because Hawthorn don't want players that don't want to play for us.

Hawthorn's cap is fuller than a state school. They can't fit his salary in according to Hutchy even if Anderson leaves.

That could be well true and most likely the case but Hutchy also said we were a bunch of chokers 3 years ago and wouldn't add to our 08 Flag.

Yeah Hutchy is a total flog who knows less than half the poster on BF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dare say you have a bunch of star players on unders who would be hoping to see some love after delivering 3 flags in a row. At some point you have to look after them rather than throwing their pay rise at new trade targets.

Yeah that's true but I think these guys will be looked after very well post career if they stick with the Hawks and they will also get natural pay increases with cap increasing. Also some other players around the edges like Whitecross, Anderson perhaps Schoenmakers who are likely move on will be replaced by 1st year players on basic wages.

Yeah that's true but I think these guys will be looked after very well post career if they stick with the Hawks and they will also get natural pay increases with cap increasing. Also some other players around the edges like Whitecross, Anderson perhaps Schoenmakers who are likely move on will be replaced by 1st year players on basic wages.
Good clubs look after their players no doubt. It's why I'm surprised at the treatment of Adcock.

I suspect that existing Hawks contracts would have already factored in increases to the cap. They have a lot of very good players who could get paid a whole lot more on the open market.

Would the Lions supporters find to picks in the twenties acceptable? Or possibly Kennedy a 2nd rounder for Aish?

Why don't you want Kennedy? Answer that and it will be the exact same reason we don't.

Maybe we do, maybe we don't.

If Hawthorn would use the pick on him the ND, wouldn't they just trade it and get him now?
Yes they could trade it but that goes against everything Brisbane have said on the matter. If Brisabne are willing to trade, the Pies, as Aisho's nominated club, will get 1st crack to come to a deal.

Brisbane hasn't said "we're not trading him to Collingwood". Greg Swann said "we're not trading him at all. It's either stay with us or go to carlton". That's not true because he won't go into the PSD. Matthews said prior to Aisho's announcement "he'll either re-sign with us, or go into the draft".

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Yes they could trade it but that goes against everything Brisbane have said on the matter. If Brisabne are willing to trade, the Pies, as Aisho's nominated club, will get 1st crack to come to a deal.

Brisbane hasn't said "we're not trading him to Collingwood". Greg Swann said "we're not trading him at all. It's either stay with us or go to carlton". That's not true because he won't go into the PSD. Matthews said prior to Aisho's announcement "he'll either re-sign with us, or go into the draft".

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

fair chance it will be a bluff call like the Pies "Friday deadline or no trade" threat

I don't quite get Brisbane's stance with making an example of Aish. What exactly are they trying to achieve?

Make a point to the AFL showing they're sick of young high picks leaving after their initial contract?
Make a point to their own current and future players that they won't help them if they want to go to a particular destination when out of contract, in a way to discourage players from leaving?
Make a point to Collingwood that they would rather see Aish go anywhere for free rather than to us?

Whichever point they are trying to make and to whom, I think they're doing it poorly. I'm not quite sure what sending Aish to the national draft will achieve and they've narrowed the options very early ('it's Brisbane or the draft' repeated by the highest representatives of the club).

In all likelihood, they won't accept a trade because Collingwood don't hold assets to make a crazy 'overs' offer (not after the Treloar deal which will be the priority) so Aish will nominate for the draft, and may get picked up by the Pies with a pick in the 20s, or by another club with a pick before that around 10-20. In the end, I think Brisbane gain nothing, no assets, no better treatment from the AFL, no better culture for the club and playing group.

As someone completely independent, I understand exactly what Brisbane are trying to do. They are making a statement. They are saying to all future players that they can't just walk out on the club and go to another. If this was an isolated example I would agree with you. However, Brisbane are haemorrhaging players and have to draw a line in the sand to say this must stop. Unfortunately for Aish, he is the person where the buck stops.

Why don't you want Kennedy? Answer that and it will be the exact same reason we don't.
Because we have a surplus of inside mids and it would be criminal to keep him rotting in the twos.
I'm actually hoping we can keep him and the club actually tries to develop him as a small crumbing forward rather than playing him through the middle in the twos and then out of position in the seniors.

Problem is this year I cant see how the Lions can get a fair deal with Aish to the Pies after the Treloar deal uses all of the Pies good trade currency
Why? You were never going to get pick 7 for him anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back