Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just an addendum, something Salim said in the media thread you can see that the new coaches are having an impact already. Almost everything they did today was focus around skills, either drilling a particular skill or using it in transition and there was a lot of short to medium accurate kicking.
Some of the transition was really exciting seeing Bennell receive and turn quickly and off either foot deliver with precision to Walters who then hits Morabito lace out at full speed. That kind of thing got my blood pumping!

What I liked about that whole paragraph was the Mora finish

his real test will be mid pre-season when there's the possibility of overuse and pain in the knee

Long session this morning consisting of skill work with the footballs and kicking for goal. Walters continues with his strong work ethic,brilliant skills and outstanding foot skills. If Harley or Shane need a mentor Sonny is their man. Lachie also working hard and leading in the runs albeit there was little running and the emphasis was on skill and ball work. Irish coming along nicely and running well. Tabs and Hannath worked with a trainer away from the group after the normal session and again worked really hard. Weller has grown ,put on weight and Hughes is turning into a beast, very close to KP size.
Mora completed a full session then worked with a trainer on aerobic drills and left the track exhausted. Bennell also training well. As E Shed stated he is the second best player on our list now. Sonny was very vocal pushing the boys to work harder ,he is definitely leadership material. Clancee ,Sutcliffe ,Brady ran laps. Apeness walked laps and after every one had left the track he came out and was dragging heavy weight around the ground .That must be a good sign. All the newbies where there and did a long camera shoot after training. All the news outlets were there so should be on all the channels tonight. Great to catch up with E Shed.Coulda,Gaskin and Danny the Doorman.
salim malik; E Shed; couldhavebeen I caught up with a Dockers fitness guy as I was leaving and he said they are training tomorrow (Saturday) starting at 8-8.30. He also said they will training Monday as usual and time trial is on Wednesday at another venue. I wonder if the newbies will do some light running tomorrow. By the way a very comprehensive reports from both you E Shed and Coulda so well done guys and I sure it will be appreciated. Great to catch up again see you next time.

Last edited:
Just an addendum, something Salim said in the media thread you can see that the new coaches are having an impact already. Almost everything they did today was focus around skills, either drilling a particular skill or using it in transition and there was a lot of short to medium accurate kicking.
Some of the transition was really exciting seeing Bennell receive and turn quickly and off either foot deliver with precision to Walters who then hits Morabito lace out at full speed. That kind of thing got my blood pumping!

Oh yeah :)

Went along today for a rare peek.

The Walters field kicking is truly gold standard - he kicks 40 metres with ball never getting above head height on its lengthy journey. Absolute bullets and a real sight to behold. Never missed a target. At the end of his session he punched out 3 laps at less than 1min 45sec each - only a small break between.

Bennell is the smoothest of movers. He's totally into the training and culture already - seemed already bonded to me. Goodbye one of de Boer, Suban, Clancee etc. Massive upgrade.

Morabito spent the last 15 mins being worked through high speed direction changes with burpees thrown in for good measure. These replicated the exact movements that have led to ACL breakdown several times previously (i.e. without external forces). He must be starting to build mental confidence and also muscle memory/strength in all the vital areas. I'm actually thinking he's now a good chance to make it back. The longer this goes on the more secure we can feel.

Grey is huge of thigh. Also laughed at the contrast in calves as Lachie Neale walked along with Tommy.

Liked seeing the "whole of squad" goal kicking sessions on about 3 occasions after a block of skills work or running. The dummies come out and everyone has 5 or 6 shots. Tanner nailed a couple from oblique angles despite his awkward ball drop.

Overall no-one looked unduly unfit or out of condition amongst the youngsters. They're a credit to themselves and the club. Standards are high.

Went along today for a rare peek.

The Walters field kicking is truly gold standard - he kicks 40 metres with ball never getting above head height on its lengthy journey. Absolute bullets and a real sight to behold. Never missed a target. At the end of his session he punched out 3 laps at less than 1min 45sec each - only a small break between.

Bennell is the smoothest of movers. He's totally into the training and culture already - seemed already bonded to me. Goodbye one of de Boer, Suban, Clancee etc. Massive upgrade.

Morabito spent the last 15 mins being worked through high speed direction changes with burpees thrown in for good measure. These replicated the exact movements that have led to ACL breakdown several times previously (i.e. without external forces). He must be starting to build mental confidence and also muscle memory/strength in all the vital areas. I'm actually thinking he's now a good chance to make it back. The longer this goes on the more secure we can feel.

Grey is huge of thigh. Also laughed at the contrast in calves as Lachie Neale walked along with Tommy.

Liked seeing the "whole of squad" goal kicking sessions on about 3 occasions after a block of skills work or running. The dummies come out and everyone has 5 or 6 shots. Tanner nailed a couple from oblique angles despite his awkward ball drop.

Overall no-one looked unduly unfit or out of condition amongst the youngsters. They're a credit to themselves and the club. Standards are high.

Come over and say hello to the group of oldies next time you are there.

There are so many players Im excited about this year its not funny. Im trying to stay cool about mora.. keep telling myself it cant happen. But god I hope he becomes the player he was going to be. Ive got a feeling langdon is going to be something special. I can remember the days when a promising youngster like blakely would be thrown to the wolves surrounded by plodders.. the club is a million miles ahead of where it was.

Hey guys a question about Apeness. What is his body shape looking like? I know when we first got him he had some puppy fat but was still quite a big lump of a lad. Does he have a bit more muscle definition and physically look stronger than he has in the past? Thanks in advance
Im also interested to hear how apeness is looking if any training watcher noticed a change

I know there not expected back til next week but if I was Mz, sub's, de boer - I would have been showing up this week

You've got an absolute gun (bennell) and youngsters eying off ur positions - I would've been protecting that from day 1
I'm sure they have been training very hard behind the scenes. They'll be very fit when they show up I've no doubt about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are so many players Im excited about this year its not funny. Im trying to stay cool about mora.. keep telling myself it cant happen. But god I hope he becomes the player he was going to be. Ive got a feeling langdon is going to be something special. I can remember the days when a promising youngster like blakely would be thrown to the wolves surrounded by plodders.. the club is a million miles ahead of where it was.

IMO Langdon looked as good as Weller if not better last season for Peel. Could be another late Draft pick fine for Freo.

What I liked about that whole paragraph was the Mora finish

his real test will be mid pre-season when there's the possibility of overuse and pain in the knee
Hey purplerunsdeep; The P (for Pain) word is banned from use for the season when referring to Mora or publicising anything about his body as jedi mind tricks and salim malik wont get any sleep from worrying all night about Mora's health. Were all optimistic watching him train this past week that he will get through and make an impact when he gets back into the best 22.

Just a short note Weller has been doing some serious weight over the off season I think he has added at least 5 kgs to his build
Langdon and Hughes just look so good with the ball in hand and Blakley would be almost a dead set in starting 22 . He has also done extra work and is as hungry as he can get . We will see how well the rookies have prepared themselves on Saturday . Hannath is another one of the players who has trimmed down .

Whats with the tiny shorts young men wear these days
It's all cyclical. I'm working on my perm as we speak.

That's the kindest thing i've heard our forward line called all year.

Good to hear the change in skills sessions and short quick kicking coming out early. RTB admitted it after 2014 that he had been slow to adapt to these changes in coaching but they are on to it now - no doubt Hale and Rock part of that as well now.

The 1-4 yr group trained earlier today with most of them in the Gym.The balance 6-8 players worked on core strength work using strapping including some restrictive work with staff holding the straps.

The Draftees were observers during the session waiting on the Rookies arriving this afternoon before they all head off to Margaret River for a camp for the weekend at least.

The bigger guys like Tabs, Tanner Smith, Sean Hurley and Jack Hannath participated in strength and conditioning work on the field in the last session dragging weight plates on a skid plate connected to strapping to work on legs,hips and shoulders. Hurley was the only one of the group that had 2 weight plates (same weight in each plates as they other guys) on the skid plate and he was obviously the strongest and best performer in that session.

couldhavebeen and salim malik were there and young simpsonwillo dropped in for a short visit.

Training for the 1-4's is on Monday and the Senior guys get back on Tuesday and Cameron Sutcliffe indicated that those guys are really fit and we know that the 1-4's are in good nick. The 3 km Time trial is on Wednesday at another venue which I understand is an early morning session.

Last edited:
The 1-4 yr group trained earlier today with most of them in the Gym.The balance 6-8 players worked on core strength work using strapping including some restrictive work with staff holding the straps.

The Draftees were observers during the session waiting on the Rookies arriving this afternoon before they all head off to Margaret River for a camp for the weekend at least.

The bigger guys like Tabs, Tanner Smith, Sean Hurley and Jack Hannath participated in strength and conditioning work on the field in the last session dragging weight plates on a skid plate connected to strapping to work on legs;hips and shoulders. Hurley was the only one of the group that had 2 weight plates (same weight in each plates as they other guys) on the skid plate and he was obviously the strongest and best performer in that session.

couldhavebeen and salim malik were there and young simpsonwillo dropped in for a short visit.

Training for the 1-4's is on Monday and the Senior guys get back on Tuesday and Cameron Sutcliffe indicated that those guys are really fit and we know that the 1-4's are in good nick. The 3 km Time trial is on Wednesday at another venue which I understand is an early morning session.

Thanks for the update Danny - good to hear that Hurley is performing well. I have a sneaking suspicion he could be a real dark-horse KPF in a year or so.

The bigger guys like Tabs, Tanner Smith, Sean Hurley and Jack Hannath participated in strength and conditioning work on the field in the last session dragging weight plates on a skid plate connected to strapping to work on legs;hips and shoulders. Hurley was the only one of the group that had 2 weight plates (same weight in each plates as they other guys) on the skid plate and he was obviously the strongest and best performer in that session.

Is a skid plate kind of like a sled or have clubs stopped using them after Nathan Van Berlo had his achilles slashed a few years ago? Cheers for the report.

Is a skid plate kind of like a sled or have clubs stopped using them after Nathan Van Berlo had his achilles slashed a few years ago? Cheers for the report.
Righteo Yeah it's a little square plate with an upturned lip and it has a rod in the middle where to sit the weight plate on and the rope/strapping is tied to one of the edges. Hadn't heard about NVB's accident but today is the first time I have seen the sled/skid plate.

Thanks for the update Danny - good to hear that Hurley is performing well. I have a sneaking suspicion he could be a real dark-horse KPF in a year or so.

I thought the big Irish went from strength to strength last season, he could be the dark horse of dark horses and from what i saw when he bangs you , you don't get up fast.
Thanks to all for the reports.

I thought the big Irish went from strength to strength last season, he could be the dark horse of dark horses and from what i saw when he bangs you , you don't get up fast.
Thanks to all for the reports.
o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back