Roast It's time to ditch the pokies

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who suggests machines being phased out, I suggest you work in the industry

I'm into my 8th year now, having gone into it straight out of school

Gambling problems are very rarely the only issue
For some, it's boredom in life, others it's drugs, some it's abuse

It's also most common for males 18-25 to experience issues, generally when the problems I suggested can be most prevalent

Most gambling statistics are there to appease the masses, and don't reflect the industry itself

As for the Hawks, their venues are in ideal locations
One is at a shopping complex
It's a revolving door, people come in with spare change after their shop, and play
It adds up

The other venue is in a location with very little around, so it makes sense that it would be profitable

Mate, they are a pox on our society and cause untold damage so lets not paint a pig red and call it an apple.

Your 'industry' destroys the lives of it's addicts and their families.

It is what it is - as i said, if we aren't doing it - some other campaigner will be, but don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.

You work in an insidious industry that has absolutely no concern for it's victims.

Mate, they are a pox on our society and cause untold damage so lets not paint a pig red and call it an apple.

It is what it is - as i said, if we aren't doing it - some other campaigner will be, but don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.

You work in an insidious industry that has absolutely no concern for it's victims.
Have you worked in any venue?

It's not what it once was

I have a good friend who, like you I'd imagine, is very proud of the way she goes about her job, and is very, very good at it having being awarded 2 'Georges' - but her stories are bloody tragic mate.

Alcohol and tobacco/cigarettes do as much or more damage to human lives. Just saying..

Alcohol and tobacco/cigarettes do as much or more damage to human lives. Just saying..

Equally as unhealthy and equally debilitating for it's victims and their families but it is what it is - I've consistently said that despite evidence to the contrary, people are adults and they have the choice to with their hard earned what they wish - if they are stupid enough to wish that money away to the Hawthorn Footy Club, I am much happier that is going to a good cause rather than bloody Safeway and all those mongrels.

No doubt they're tragic

The issue isn't the pokies themselves though

Do you think?

I mean seriously mate - Aristocrat have 15 - and this is going back a bit so probably more now - psychiatrists on staff who's sole goal is to part you and your money.

The pokies are entertainment and nothing else - if you are up to speed you know that you are renting a machine to be entertained - occasionally you might even be rewarded - but you are renting a machine and the hourly cost is up to you.

At the end of the day, pokies aren't gambling, more donating.

Do you think?

I mean seriously mate - Aristocrat have 15 - and this is going back a bit so probably more now - psychiatrists on staff who's sole goal is to part you and your money.

The pokies are entertainment and nothing else - if you are up to speed you know that you are renting a machine to be entertained - occasionally you might even be rewarded - but you are renting a machine and the hourly cost is up to you.

At the end of the day, pokies aren't gambling, more donating.
You aren't hearing what I say

I acknowledge how they're set up
I know that people lose billions

The issue isn't the pokies though, it's other issues (as I've stated above)

But to reiterate
A person is lonely, perhaps from moving interstate, maybe they're old and isolated from family and friends
They struggle to make new friends so go for a quiet drink and gamble, where good customer service sees them return because they feel good
That then feeds the cycle
They aren't gambling because they're addicted to it, theyre instead addicted to the social aspect
What do you think should be done? Address the root cause (loneliness) or address how they self medicate(gambling)

That's the most common

Then there the new ones, where they've been up on drugs, are bored, and they gamble
Again, is it the machines or the drugs?

You aren't hearing what I say

I acknowledge how they're set up
I know that people lose billions

The issue isn't the pokies though, it's other issues (as I've stated above)

But to reiterate
A person is lonely, perhaps from moving interstate, maybe they're old and isolated from family and friends
They struggle to make new friends so go for a quiet drink and gamble, where good customer service sees them return because they feel good
That then feeds the cycle
They aren't gambling because they're addicted to it, theyre instead addicted to the social aspect
What do you think should be done? Address the root cause (loneliness) or address how they self medicate(gambling)

That's the most common

Then there the new ones, where they've been up on drugs, are bored, and they gamble
Again, is it the machines or the drugs?

* mate - let's give all the junkies and lonely interstaters a spell for a minute - how many people do you think, or even know for that matter, have topped themselves.

They get really lonely when they have no stan left.

Where does it start and end!!!!

Our president at the time when he struck the deals with these venues was the chairman of beyond blue!!!! stop and think about that for one minute.

Anyone that tells me sitting in front of a poky machine is good fun or it helps pensioners have a social outlet is kidding themselves.

I hate all the ads about odds and bet now and we will give you double returns blah blah blah.

I have got 2 young boys at home and one who is really starting to take an interest in the game and to think when he watches the games he will have betting agencies bullshit odds staring him in the face all the time is poisoning his brain.

The AFL are shockers. They may as well let clubs have Winfield Gold on the backs of guernseys you know.

Crazy times. I Would love for our club to be financially viable without the need to profit from pokie venues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Equally as unhealthy and equally debilitating for it's victims and their families but it is what it is - I've consistently said that despite evidence to the contrary, people are adults and they have the choice to with their hard earned what they wish - if they are stupid enough to wish that money away to the Hawthorn Footy Club, I am much happier that is going to a good cause rather than bloody Safeway and all those mongrels.

Habit and addiction isn't choice. That's just an argument that pokie and drug pushers make to defend their product and put the onus onto the victims.

Its not an industry that I would ever consider working in.....ever. Mostly because its morally bankrupt. It also seems to pretend that the positives outweigh the negatives..so its ok.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Where does it start and end!!!!

Our president at the time when he struck the deals with these venues was the chairman of beyond blue!!!! stop and think about that for one minute.

Anyone that tells me sitting in front of a poky machine is good fun or it helps pensioners have a social outlet is kidding themselves.

I hate all the ads about odds and bet now and we will give you double returns blah blah blah.

I have got 2 young boys at home and one who is really starting to take an interest in the game and to think when he watches the games he will have betting agencies bullshit odds staring him in the face all the time is poisoning his brain.

The AFL are shockers. They may as well let clubs have Winfield Gold on the backs of guernseys you know.

Crazy times. I Would love for our club to be financially viable without the need to profit from pokie venues.

As has been said before....all the bloody betting advertising is a pain in the a*se....ffs we are watching footy (or just sport in general)....f*ck off with your odds on this and your odds on that.

On this issue the entertainment legislators (gutterment) are corrupt from the top down to the gambling venues themselves.....including the AFL (who allow the adds in footy primetime) because they all have their snout in a rather large trough.

But its all ok when adds are run telling us to "gamble responsibly" and the odd Beyond Blue advertisement.

Gambling amongst many other social ills costs every one of us in one form or another. To think otherwise is delusional.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of poker machine hate.
Hate the game, not the player.
If you hate gambling, fine. But know it's as Australian as beer drinking. If you hate that too, well - you can just stick to your church groups and bridge nights.
As citizens, we are asked an awful lot. 40 - 60 hour work weeks, be available to die for your country, pay outrageous amounts for cable telly.
At the end of all the social/political contracts we are signed up for, we get to unwind.
If you don't like booze, don't drink. Don't give me bull crap about it being glamourized in movies, or advertising, or trans-ocean flights by the Aussie cricket team.
If you don't like drugs, want to achieve more with your life, don't do them. Don't blame it on peers, or youth, or any such crap.
Don't like gambling? Fine. Don't do it. All this bull dust about pokies being especially evil is just that. People want to gamble, not be entertained. If they simply wanted entertainment, I guarantee they would find a movie for $12 faaaaar more entertaining. They want to win! In a world where it's hard to see yourself getting out of the financial peg and ladder you are in-on, gambling offers a dream out. That dream allows many to accept their lot. Others don't need it.
Either way, look after your own back yard, I'm fairly sure it's imperfectly tended.

Until we re-allow wowserism to rule, and once again outlaw alcohol, any and all drug use (lets include pharmaceutical shall we....no more ibuprofen for you weakies who don't like headaches and back pain - or are you just bullshitting???), all corporal punishment (lets do it army seargent, talk your men through their issues), psychological manipulation and untruths told by parents to their children to get them to do as theyre told....why? just BECAUSE!!!, being taught by science our rocky planet was a meeting of rock and ice and gas and gravity billions of years ago - and instead re-institute compulsory education by schools and families that planet earth was created in 168 hours by a non-corporeal being, men can have relations without clothes with other men - women will perpetually have a pass on this one regardless of said wowserism, our first land owners are in fact human beings - not some other lower species.......

I dunno, which of these hurt our society more?
Which attitudes still pervade our thoughts?
I'm putting pokies at the very bottom of the problem list.
But go ahead, cry about spinners and lights and lost income.

I just ask this. Go on, fix it ALL please.
Your fixation with pokies is illogical - captain.

Last edited:
Better to pay some tax on extra revenue than not have it at all.
You would invest 100k for an expected return of 1 million even if there is a 30% chance you won't make your money back? What about investing 100k with an expected return of 110k and a 30% chance you don't make your money back?

A higher tax burden pushes the equation for investment towards the later because returns on investment are lower while the risk remains the same. So yes higher tax can work as a dissinsentive for making investments (given no investment is risk free) which means the club will make less money in the long run.

I'm not a fan of poker machine hate.
Hate the game, not the player.
If you hate gambling, fine. But know it's as Australian as beer drinking. If you hate that too, well - you can just stick to your church groups and bridge nights.
As citizens, we are asked an awful lot. 40 - 60 hour work weeks, be available to die for your country, pay outrageous amounts for cable telly.
At the end of all the social/political contracts we are signed up for, we get to unwind.
If you don't like booze, don't drink. Don't give me bull crap about it being glamourized in movies, or advertising, or trans-ocean flights by the Aussie cricket team.
If you don't like drugs, want to achieve more with your life, don't do them. Don't blame it on peers, or youth, or any such crap.
Don't like gambling? Fine. Don't do it. All this bull dust about pokies being especially evil is just that. People want to gamble, not be entertained. If they simply wanted entertainment, I guarantee they would find a movie for $12 faaaaar more entertaining. They want to win! In a world where it's hard to see yourself getting out of the financial peg and ladder you are in-on, gambling offers a dream out. That dream allows many to accept their lot. Others don't need it.
Either way, look after your own back yard, I'm fairly sure it's imperfectly tended.

Until we re-allow wowserism to rule, and once again outlaw alcohol, any and all drug use (lets include pharmaceutical shall we....no more ibuprofen for you weakies who don't like headaches and back pain - or are you just bullshitting???), all corporal punishment (lets do it army seargent, talk your men through their issues), psychological manipulation and untruths told by parents to their children to get them to do as theyre told....why? just BECAUSE!!!, being taught by science our rocky planet was a meeting of rock and ice and gas and gravity billions of years ago - and instead re-institute compulsory education by schools and families that planet earth was created in 168 hours by a non-corporeal being, men can have relations without clothes with other men - women will perpetually have a pass on this one regardless of said wowserism, our first land owners are in fact human beings - not some other lower species.......

I dunno, which of these hurt our society more?
Which attitudes still pervade our thoughts?
I'm putting pokies at the very bottom of the problem list.
But go ahead, cry about spinners and lights and lost income.

I just ask this. Go on, fix it ALL please.
Your fixation with pokies is illogical - captain.
There's exterme wowserism and then there is sensible regulation. Seatbelts, booze buses and speed limits were seen as wowserism thirty years ago. With a significantly lower road toll these things are regarded as a success. Similarly pokies should be regulated. There is a middleground between a free for all and the state putting in safeguards. I think Australia has actually struck the balance pretty well on the whole

Remove this Banner Ad

Back