Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though today was a light session, a theme of skills focus is evident.
Last week intense focus on kicking, today more on handballing.

It's give & take - more on skills means less on strategy, sims & fitness.

I was thinking this is more to do with the input of the former Hawthorn people.
This is way more ball work than we have done so early in the pre-season under Ross.

Is it really that different from last year's preseason? From memory there seemed to be more emphasis on ball work and match sims during the week training sessions and pure fitness stuff on Saturdays.

Is it really that different from last year's preseason? From memory there seemed to be more emphasis on ball work and match sims during the week training sessions and pure fitness stuff on Saturdays.

Exactly my recollection too.

That is true but not in weeks one and two.

Actually from Day 1 last pre-season - ball work, kicking skills and goalkicking. As salim malik reported:

The footy's where out early with a bit of handball and kicking skills followed by goal shots

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...rts-ffcpreseason.1080960/page-8#post-36122074

I did mention shuttle runs and lap runs though .Have not seen any shuttle runs so far and running laps has been minimal. I agree with Fred its a much more skills orientated start to the training.

I've just watched the Ballantyne interview. It has a nice little reference to preseason training that I haven't seen reported at all.
"We did 40% more running last year, so I'm not sure how much more we could actually do than that, 'cos it was a fair workload. So it's more about the quality of run rather than the quantity of run. So if we keep our quality of running going and get that higher speed stuff, keep that, we'll be looking good for round 1."

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-12-01/more-games-more-goals at 2mins50 seconds.

So: more sprints and fewer laps of the oval? Sure sounds like confirmation of Fred and Salim's observations so far, though it's only been the 1st to 4th years until yesterday. Interesting that Ballas is able to talk about the changes to the preseason training on his first day back.

I've just watched the Ballantyne interview. It has a nice little reference to preseason training that I haven't seen reported at all.
"We did 40% more running last year, so I'm not sure how much more we could actually do than that, 'cos it was a fair workload. So it's more about the quality of run rather than the quantity of run. So if we keep our quality of running going and get that higher speed stuff, keep that, we'll be looking good for round 1."

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-12-01/more-games-more-goals at 2mins50 seconds.

So: more sprints and fewer laps of the oval? Sure sounds like confirmation of Fred and Salim's observations so far, though it's only been the 1st to 4th years until yesterday. Interesting that Ballas is able to talk about the changes to the preseason training on his first day back.
There is a spreadsheet on the wall that shows the programme for the entire playing group so he can see what everyone will be doing.

I recommended that he get next to Sutty and try and go with him . I warned him that the smile on Suttys face can be deceiving but that if he uses him as a role model he won't go wrong with his development . His reply was that he saw Fyfe as the role model he was aspiring to follow so it looks like he got his wish.

upload_2015-12-2_8-59-48.png
Good advice there Uncle Arthur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back