Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Boo. I'll keep fingers crossed that you get kicked out of it :p

*Nyhuis
:p

I noticed Collins disposal wasn't amazing when I watched him play too, but in a live game he looked a more comfortable defender than Spangher, if that's a good comparison :)

I'd be happy if he turns out as well as the Spang - he's relatively competent.

Darcy Tucker has a nice right boot.
Blakely seems to have grown a touch.
Was relatively low key.

The string bag was stretched on the concrete tiers yapping on the phone.
Got a Jack Thompson pose going at one stage.

Ewwww! I still remember those naked pics. Was not a pretty sight.

Tucker looks very poised.

I have noticed that T. Smith has really improved his kicking which is great news.

A few of us have noticed that Collins disposal is average at best. I'm not sold on him just yet but will get a better idea when the squad gets into full ground match day sims.

I really like the look of Balic,Tucker and Niase? they have great footskills and look to have great footy smarts.

Spurr, Silvagni, Neale and Crozier doing a lot of running away from the main squad. Neale looks an absolute beast. It would take a very strong tackle to put him down and he is super fit.

McPharlap was pretty ordinary by foot too and then there's Dawson.

A bit late, but here goes my first training report of the pre-season.

Firstly, Groundskeeper Pat has moved on and been replaced by a new Groundsman. So don't expect to see the magnificent lush surface that we all used to see when Pat was riding on the lawn mower down there. There were brown patches everywhere, so let's hope that this is fixed very soon.

Now onto training, well at this early stage of the pre-season the players are all in separate groups doing different things. For example one group is in the gym bulking up, whilst others such as Michael Apness, Shane Yarran and Nat Fyfe are off rehabbing. Then you have players like Lachie Neale and Lee Spurr that were just running laps, whilst the rest of the players were working in groups of about 6 players or so under the supervision of individual coaches on the field.

The forward line drills mainly involved Pav, Mayne, Ballas and Sonny and all were moving well and hitting their targets.

This makes watching and reporting on training difficult, as you only have one set of eyes. But what I saw looked great - albeit very casual and low key so early in the pre-season. Ross was basking in the sun on the northern terraces like a seal on a rock at Carnac Island. There was lots of ball work happening on the field so I was trying to focus on the new recruits at first before giving up and just watching what ever was happening out there that caught my eye, which I have to say was 90% focused on Anthony Morabito.

Mora was put through paces more than any other player out there yesterday and as others have noted, he has no strapping or pain. He looked absolutely amazing and was "Chris Mastening" the house down. When you watch him getting put through his paces by his trainer, you do so through the gaps in your fingers as you keep thinking to yourself, "are they pushing him too hard, or, when's he going to let out a scream before limping off the field again?" Then when he had finished - they had him pumping out the laps.

So I'm calling it now, Mora is back everyone!

Michael Barlow and Clancee Pearce have lost a lot of weight and look great. David Mundy and Matt De Boer were off at the Players Association meeting in Melbourne, whilst Nat Fyfe is close to resuming full training. He could be in full training now if he needed to be, but he is being eased back in very carefully.

I can't give an opinion on the new recruits as yet because I simply haven't seen enough of them, however Lachie Weller and Connor Blakely looked good with the ball, as did Tommy Sheridan, whilst I did see Tabs clunk a nice mark on the lead.

Lastly, it was great catching up with the boys at the Norfolk for a few beers after training before we all went down to the Capri for a feed that took me back to my childhood.

Last edited:

Firstly, Groundskeeper Pat has moved on and been replaced by a new Groundsman. So don't expect to see the magnificent lush surface that we all used to see when Pat was riding on the lawn mower down there. There were brown patches everywhere, so let's hope that this is fixed very soon.

Now onto training, well at this early stage of the pre-season the players are all in separate groups doing different things. For example one group is in the gym bulking up, whilst others such as Michael Apness, Shane Yarran and Nat Fyfe are off rehabbing. Then you have players like Lachie Neale and Lee Spurr that were just running laps, whilst the rest of the players were working in groups of about 6 players or so under the supervision of individual coaches on the field.

The forward line drills mainly involved Pav, Mayne, Ballas and Sonny and all were moving well and hitting their targets.

This makes watching and reporting on training difficult, as you only have one set of eyes. But what I saw looked great - albeit very casual and low key so early in the pre-season. Ross was basking in the sun on the northern terraces like a seal on a rock at Carnac Island. There was lots of ball work happening on the field so I was trying to focus on the new recruits at first before giving up and just watching what ever was happening out there that caught my eye, which I have to say was 90% focused on Anthony Morabito.

Mora was put through paces more than any other player out there yesterday and have others have noted, he has no strapping or pain. He looked absolutely amazing and was "Chris Mastening" the house down. When you watch him getting put through his paces by his trainer, you do so through the gaps in your fingers as you keep thinking to yourself, "are they pushing him too hard, or, when's he going to let out a scream before limping off the field again?" Then when he had finished - they had him pumping out the laps.

Michael Barlow and Clancee Pearce have lost a lot of weight and look great. David Mundy and Matt De Boer were off at the Players Association meeting in Melbourne, whilst Nat Fyfe is close to resuming full training. He could be in full training now if he needed to be, but he is being eased back in very carefully.

I can't give an opinion on the new recruits as yet because I simply haven't seen enough of them, however Lachie Weller and Connor Blakely looked good with the ball, as did Tommy Sheridan, whilst I did see Tabs clunk a nice mark on the lead.

Lastly, it was great catching up with the boys at the Norfolk for a few beers after training before we all went down to the Capri for a feed that took me back to my childhood.

Thanks Harry, you made my day with that news on morra - I could see him slotting into the backline and filling Duffield's old role, or possibly taking Hill's spot at half back which leaves Hill free to roam the wings and midfield.

Bloody exciting times with both Morra and Bennell knocking on the door.... :D:thumbsu:

Last edited:
Thanks Harry, you made my day with that news on morra - I could see him slotting into the backline and filling Duffield's role, or possibly taking Hill's spot at half back which leaves Hill free to roam the wings and midfield.

Bloody exciting times with both Morra and Bennell knocking on the door.... :D:thumbsu:

I did hear that Mora was training with the backline group earlier in the week.

Thanks Harry, you made my day with that news on morra - I could see him slotting into the backline and filling Duffield's old role, or possibly taking Hill's spot at half back which leaves Hill free to roam the wings and midfield.

I really don't get this Mora in the back line thing. He never struck me as a player with a precise kick or good decision making. He is strong, speedy and can hoof it long. The antithesis of duffield.

I really don't get this Mora in the back line thing. He never struck me as a player with a precise kick or good decision making. He is strong, speedy and can hoof it long. The antithesis of duffield.

I agree there's big differences in the two and i also like the idea of Morra on the wing where he started his career. I had morra filling Duffield's old role because he kills two birds with one stone.

IIRC Morra is not just a long kick but a reasonably accurate one which makes him well suites to taking the kick-in after a behind (a role he filled at Peel fairly regularly) - though I grant you that the duff man was more accurate. Morra can play tall if he has to but has the leg speed to go with smaller forwards - though of course he needs to he nimble too, which has yet to be confirmed.

He also has the leg speed and accelleration to replace hill at hb. We want Hill in the midfield so he can run and deliver into the forward 50 - playing morra back there allows it to happen.

Most importantly though it gets Morra on the park in an area of need (we will miss Elvis and his closing speed next year) and could create some real rotation headaches for other teams as we can basically play him anywhere after that. Rest him back and play him through the midfield / wing in bursts... what a nightmare for coaches to plan against. :D

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mora was put through paces more than any other player out there yesterday and as others have noted, he has no strapping or pain. He looked absolutely amazing and was "Chris Mastening" the house down. When you watch him getting put through his paces by his trainer, you do so through the gaps in your fingers as you keep thinking to yourself, "are they pushing him too hard, or, when's he going to let out a scream before limping off the field again?" Then when he had finished - they had him pumping out the laps.

Late contender for post of the year.

I went down to my first training session of this pre-season. Being a Saturday session it involved running and strength exercises, but Ill do my best to provide some useful information.
Bennell came out from the gym briefly with a bandage on his calf. Im not sure what that means as he didnt have a limp and was working out in the gym.

Most players were in the gym for the majority of the session. A.Pearce, Blakely, Weller and Langdon came out at the end of the session to do strength exercises. All look significantly leaner and stronger than last season. Weller in particular looks like he has put on 5kgs of muscle.

Of those running laps the most notable difference between this year and last year was that Barlow is back in the elite distance running group along with Hill, Sheridan, de Boer and Gu. Micky B looks significantly lighter than last year and when the other four went into the gym he stayed and ran a ton more laps with a trainer.

Balic is already a running machine and was pumping out the laps Menegola style. Seriously, he ran more laps then any player training. Hard not to be impressed.

Fyfe was in the recovery group for the majority of the session running repeat 100's (with Yarran and Silvagni), but he stayed out longer than the other two and ran laps. He finiished the session with some goal kicking practice. Missing most of the shots from around 40metres out.

Mora was out for only a brief period running laps, but it was hard not to get excited taliking to other training watches about how agile and fit he looked at training last week.

We might have another two key defenders on our list with Hughes and Nyhuis literarily growing into the role. Hughes is now key position height. He was standing next to Silvagni and was clearly a couple of cm's taller. I think Hughes must now be between 192 -194 cm tall. I also spoke to Ryan Nyhuis briefly and asked him what was his current height. His response was at the moment he is 189cm, but he might be growing still.

My training the house down award goes to a first time recipient. While it has been mentioned Hannath looks significantly leaner and quicker IMO Jon Griffin is the player who looks to have improved the most in the running department compared to last year. The last time he looked this fit Griffin was one of the best ruckman in the league. Ive put him back in my best 22 team.

Anyway, I really appreciate the efforts of others in this thread, so I did my best to provide as much info as possible. Cheers

Last edited:

"Ross was basking in the sun on the northen terraces like a seal on a rock at Carnac Island"

^ its lines like these that make the freo training reports amazing.

I really think Balic and Tucker will play some very good footy for Peel and won't be far down the pecking order.
I went down to my first training session of the year. Being a Saturday session it involved running and strengt exercises, but Ill do my best to provide some useful information.
Bennell came out from the gym briefly and has a bandage on his calf. Im not sure what that means as he didnt have a limp and was working out in the gym.

Most players were in the gym for the majority of the session. A.Pearce, Blakely, Weller and Langdon came out at the end of the session to do strength exercises. All look significantly leaner and stronger than last season. Weller in particular looks like he has put on 5kgs of muscle.

Of those running laps the most notable difference between this year and last year was that Barlow is back in the elite distance running group along with Hill, Sheridan, de Boer and Gu. Micky B looks significantly lighter than last year and when the other four went into the gym he stayed and ran a ton more laps with a trainer.

Balic is already a running machine and was pumping out the laps Menegola style. Seriously, he ran more laps then any player training. Hard not to be impressed.

Fyfe was in the recovery group for the majority of the session running repeat 100's (with Yarran and Silvagni), but he stayed out longer than the other two and ran laps. He finiished the session with some goal kicking practice. Missing most of the shots from around 40metres out.

Mora was out for only a brief period running laps, but it was hard not to get excited taliking to other training watches about how agile and fit he looked at training last week.

We might have another two key defenders on our list with Hughes and Nyhuis literarily growing into the role. Hughes is now key position height. He was standing next to Silvagni and was clearly a couple of cm's taller. I think Hughes must now be between 192 -194 cm tall. I also spoke to Ryan Nyhuis briefly and asked him what was his current height. He said he was now 189cm, but he thinks he might be growing still.

My training the house down award goes to a first time recipient. While it has been mentioned Hannath looks significantly leaner and quicker IMO Jon Griffin is the player who looks to have improved the most in the running department compared to last year. The last time he looked this fit Griffin was one of the best ruckman in the league. Ive put him back in my best 22 team.

Anyway, I really appreciate the efforts of others in this thread, so I did my best to provide as much info as possible. Cheers

"Ross was basking in the sun on the northen terraces like a seal on a rock at Carnac Island"

^ its lines like these that make the freo training reports amazing.

Hear hear, Its such a delight to read reports that are not only grammatically correct but also has an ounce of insightful linguistic invention - keep it up and we may just break the internet, or at least school the young 'uns on the true nature of compelling content.

Bravo chaps - keep up the good work.

I went down to my first training session of the year. Being a Saturday session it involved running and strengt exercises, but Ill do my best to provide some useful information.
Bennell came out from the gym briefly and has a bandage on his calf. Im not sure what that means as he didnt have a limp and was working out in the gym.

We might have another two key defenders on our list with Hughes and Nyhuis literarily growing into the role. Hughes is now key position height. He was standing next to Silvagni and was clearly a couple of cm's taller. I think Hughes must now be between 192 -194 cm tall. I also spoke to Ryan Nyhuis briefly and asked him what was his current height. He said he was now 189cm, but he thinks he might be growing still.

I find the idea that Hughes has grown to key position height really exciting. I thought him impressive in the Peel vs Port Adelaide match in rd 23.

Hear hear, Its such a delight to read reports that are not only grammatically correct but also has an ounce of insightful linguistic invention - keep it up and we may just break the internet, or at least school the young 'uns on the true nature of compelling content.

Bravo chaps - keep up the good work.
Irony gold?

I picked 2 grammatical errors and a spelling mistake in your post.

Thanks for the obs on our younger player's growth. Hughes is listed at 189 cm on the website, so if he was taller than Nyhuis then he's definitely grown.

... then again , this is the Freo website I'm referring to - the same site that once had Morra listed at three different heights concurrently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back