Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

I went down to my first training session of the year. Being a Saturday session it involved running and strength exercises, but Ill do my best to provide some useful information.
Bennell came out from the gym briefly and has a bandage on his calf. Im not sure what that means as he didnt have a limp and was working out in the gym.

Most players were in the gym for the majority of the session. A.Pearce, Blakely, Weller and Langdon came out at the end of the session to do strength exercises. All look significantly leaner and stronger than last season. Weller in particular looks like he has put on 5kgs of muscle.

Of those running laps the most notable difference between this year and last year was that Barlow is back in the elite distance running group along with Hill, Sheridan, de Boer and Gu. Micky B looks significantly lighter than last year and when the other four went into the gym he stayed and ran a ton more laps with a trainer.

Balic is already a running machine and was pumping out the laps Menegola style. Seriously, he ran more laps then any player training. Hard not to be impressed.

Fyfe was in the recovery group for the majority of the session running repeat 100's (with Yarran and Silvagni), but he stayed out longer than the other two and ran laps. He finiished the session with some goal kicking practice. Missing most of the shots from around 40metres out.

Mora was out for only a brief period running laps, but it was hard not to get excited taliking to other training watches about how agile and fit he looked at training last week.

We might have another two key defenders on our list with Hughes and Nyhuis literarily growing into the role. Hughes is now key position height. He was standing next to Silvagni and was clearly a couple of cm's taller. I think Hughes must now be between 192 -194 cm tall. I also spoke to Ryan Nyhuis briefly and asked him what was his current height. He said he was now 189cm, but he thinks he might be growing still.

My training the house down award goes to a first time recipient. While it has been mentioned Hannath looks significantly leaner and quicker IMO Jon Griffin is the player who looks to have improved the most in the running department compared to last year. The last time he looked this fit Griffin was one of the best ruckman in the league. Ive put him back in my best 22 team.

Anyway, I really appreciate the efforts of others in this thread, so I did my best to provide as much info as possible. Cheers
Balic is recovering from a wrist operation so he is in the rehab group so hasn't participated in any real skills work so running laps I guess is his only option at present. He said on Friday that he will be back to full training when they get back from the break subject to scans of his wrist.

Darcy Tucker has a nice right boot.
Blakely seems to have grown a touch.
Was relatively low key.

The string bag was stretched on the concrete tiers yapping on the phone.
Got a Jack Thompson pose going at one stage.

What's a Jack Thompson pose?

After being super impressed by Balic today I thought Id have another look at his highlights to see what he offered with the knowledge his endurance is already terrific. I watched highlughts from his game in the national champs agianst SA and the commentator mentioned that he was not only a state basketball rep, but also a state underage high jump representative. Hard not to be impressed by his overall athletic ability.

After being super impressed by Balic today I thought Id have another look at his highlights to see what he offered with the knowledge his endurance is already terrific. I watched highlughts from his game in the national champs agianst SA and the commentator mentioned that he was not only a state basketball rep, but also a state underage high jump representative. Hard not to be impressed by his overall athletic ability.

I saw that video too. Most drafts some of the top 10 picks don't live anywhere near up to the hype and some of the 20 - 40 picks end up being amongst the best players drafted. Fingers crossed.

Well I got down to training this morning and as Sherrif reported is was a light running session but quite a bit of weights work with players moving sideways while pulling weights .The 2 best performers today were Griffin and Hannath .Taberner was doing this exercise as well but just hasn't mastered it yet .
Fyfe was running freely and as others have stated , he could be in the main group now but Webber is easing him into his training .
Quite a few senior players are doing more weights and Gym work as opposed to doing a lot of running .
Balic was very serious with his training today .The way he runs is just so good to watch ,he doesn't pound his way around the oval . He is very much like Hill and Fyfe in that they seam to glide over the ground . He pumped out quite a few laps
Barlow has added some definition to his mid drift and looks to have improved his core .Grey has lost quite a bit of his leg muscle build that he had last year and looks much better for it .
A lot of players have trimmed down in the off season but as we know the longer preseason goes they will build up . Hale was with the boys today and crunched out a couple of laps with the boys .
Hale was working with Taberner during the weight exercise and we got a small insight as to what the exercise was for and as Tabs was trying to pull the sliding weights Hale was putting his hip into his side bumping him , then pointing out to him (Tabs) that he needed to be more prepared with his body position thereby preventing his opponent from being able to block his run at the ball and hold his position in a contest . Hale is working with the Ruckmen not doing any forward work .
Hannath carried 4 x 20 KG discs off the oval when they finished training we told him to stop showing off because there were only us OLD guys on the bench and no young chics there too impress.
Pav turned up just at the end of the field exercises and went straight into the Gym.
RTB came out of the gym briefly ,said hello and disappeared back into the Gym.
Josh Deluca and Sean Hurley came out from the Gym for a breather .I said to Sean that he should stop showing off when he was doing the weights exercise on the oval he had a giggle at that and then went back inside .
All the players are in good spirits and looking great .

Well I got down to training this morning and as Sherrif reported is was a light running session but quite a bit of weights work with players moving sideways while pulling weights .The 2 best performers today were Griffin and Hannath .Taberner was doing this exercise as well but just hasn't mastered it yet .
Fyfe was running freely and as others have stated , he could be in the main group now but Webber is easing him into his training .
Quite a few senior players are doing more weights and Gym work as opposed to doing a lot of running .
Balic was very serious with his training today .The way he runs is just so good to watch ,he doesn't pound his way around the oval . He is very much like Hill and Fyfe in that they seam to glide over the ground . He pumped out quite a few laps
Barlow has added some definition to his mid drift and looks to have improved his core .Grey has lost quite a bit of his leg muscle build that he had last year and looks much better for it .
A lot of players have trimmed down in the off season but as we know the longer preseason goes they will build up . Hale was with the boys today and crunched out a couple of laps with the boys .
Hale was working with Taberner during the weight exercise and we got a small insight as to what the exercise was for and as Tabs was trying to pull the sliding weights Hale was putting his hip into his side bumping him , then pointing out to him (Tabs) that he needed to be more prepared with his body position thereby preventing his opponent from being able to block his run at the ball and hold his position in a contest . Hale is working with the Ruckmen not doing any forward work .
Hannath carried 4 x 20 KG discs off the oval when they finished training we told him to stop showing off because there were only us OLD guys on the bench and no young chics there too impress.
Pav turned up just at the end of the field exercises and went straight into the Gym.
RTB came out of the gym briefly ,said hello and disappeared back into the Gym.
Josh Deluca and Sean Hurley came out from the Gym for a breather .I said to Sean that he should stop showing off when he was doing the weights exercise on the oval he had a giggle at that and then went back inside .
All the players are in good spirits and looking great .
Last time they did that sliding weight exercise as you remember Irish pulled 2 weight plates to everbody else's one. How did he go today did he do that exercise? Wich other Rucks did Hale work with today.

Last time they did that sliding weight exercise as you remember Irish pulled 2 weight plates to everbody else's one. How did he go today did he do that exercise? Which other Rucks did Hale work with today.

Sean had a big laugh when I told him to stop showing off with the 2 weights when doing the shoulder exercise the next time he went out on the oval . He was only doing Gym work on Saturday .
Hannath and Taberner were using the single weigh but Griffin was doing the exercise with 2 weights and very well with the side ways pull with the strap around his waist .They were the only players doing the exercise.Clarke and Sandi no where to be seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So do we have two ruck coaches now or am I missing something?

Hale is doing all the work with the rucks out on the oval but what is happening in the Gym could be another story.
Hale seams to be giving the talls tuition on body position and protecting the ball drop zone both for marking and rucking .
A number of times he was not happy with Taberners feet positioning in the exercise because he was too easily knocked off balance.
Tabs was doing a number of short bouncy steps before heaving the weight which meant that he was not planting his feet and using his shoulders and arm instead of his body to move the weight .

So do you mean he was carrying 80kgs of plates stacked like this? That's pretty impressive if so, his deadlift numbers must be huge.

Or were they the type with hand grip holes so you can carry them like shopping bags?

carrying-boxes2.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back