Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think they were in positional groups today, just a mix across the board.

Of the big guys, Hurley is looking very fit and his skills were pretty good from what I saw. Also noticed Hannath and Griff moving around and they look much fitter and quicker.

The goal kicking was pretty solid and Tabs and Hannath were kicking well. Didn't see APearce and Johnson was his usual self.

Didn't see a lot of Ubergang and Collins but they are both pretty big boys and didn't look out of place. Their kicking looked good too but it was only a small sample and there wasn't much pressure on.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-07/size-matters-as-crozier-targets-fyfelike-transformation-

interesting article. i wonder how much control the club has over the players diets.

you can lift heavy in the weight room but if you're not eating every moment you possibly can then you wont put on size, especially with the amount of running these guys do.

i wonder what fyfes diet has been like these last couple of years.

I hope to much bulk to fast doesn't lead to injuries later in season or career.

I am really interested in knowing how any of the young bigs are tracking.

Irish, Apeness, Uebergang, Smith, Taberner, Pearce. How far away are they to cracking a chance. How have they progressed. What focus are they being given.

More a general question over the course of the pre-season.

Especially this guy, make or break season for him. With McPharlin gone, I would suspect he will get given the chance to cement a spot in the ones. Obviously subject to injuries, form etc.

i wonder what fyfes diet has been like these last couple of years.

two protein shakes a day i think was what they said? TBH Fyfe has put on a "not normal" amount of bulk. I doubt many will be able to match him. He basically put on 25kg of pure muscle in 2-3 years. He did have the advantage of having some lengthy stints on the sidelines with his shoulder to put down some serious blocks of training too.

you can lift heavy in the weight room but if you're not eating every moment you possibly can then you wont put on size, especially with the amount of running these guys do.

Yup i kind of wonder how they expect guys to bulk up; when they are having them run like 100km a week, check their skin folds, diet etc. Even bodybuilders get a bit fat when they are bulking up.

Won't be a problem for Crozier. The guy just can't put weight on, even though it would help his game as a lead up half forward.

Why is it so hard to put on some size. Eat more.

He's put on 12kgs since he was drafted, that's not a bad effort.

There's only so much lean muscle you can put on per year*, no point them putting on any more weight than that or it will just be fat that will hinder their explosive power anyway.

*unless you're Fyfe who seems to have God-like genetics

Yup i kind of wonder how they expect guys to bulk up; when they are having them run like 100km a week, check their skin folds, diet etc. Even bodybuilders get a bit fat when they are bulking up.

Yep so here's an example of the bulking some bodybuilders go through in the offseason - though I think such extreme 'bulk and cut' cycles are starting to go out of fashion these days. AFL players obviously don't have the 'luxury' of being able to put on excess weight like this and then cut back - although from the looks of those pics someone posted a few weeks ago Motlop from Geelong might have given it a shot this offseason.

bulking-before-after-lee-priest.jpg

lol. Chops Hasleby used to be a classic. He'd finish the season and basically migrate straight to the couch. He would show up at preseason about 10kg over weight. I guess his back was stuffed which didn't help.

He's actually fared better than I expected since he retired - I thought he would look like Darren Jarman by now.

I guess having a tv gig is a decent incentive to not let yourself go too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

two protein shakes a day i think was what they said? TBH Fyfe has put on a "not normal" amount of bulk. I doubt many will be able to match him. He basically put on 25kg of pure muscle in 2-3 years. He did have the advantage of having some lengthy stints on the sidelines with his shoulder to put down some serious blocks of training too.

i see fyfe as the type of guy that would have done his own research and formulated his own diet (with the help of the club). he also seems like the type of person that isnt afraid to lift heavy. genetics play a pretty big role, but i dont think fyfe has been genetically graced :) with building size (look at him when he first joined the club), i just think he had an image in his mind that he wanted to achieve and went all out to reach it. he understood that with his height if he built strong legs/back he would be able to literally walk through people. you have the afl players that focus on building their arms and shoulders and then you have the guys that build strong physiques.

i remember i had a physio that worked with the eagles, the selwood chap (the one that left for geelong) didnt understand why he couldnt kick the footy more than 30 metres, she told me he only cared about having big arms and rarely did any leg work even though he was given a program by the club. this isnt having a go at the eagles... :p it just shows that even if you're given all the info its still up to the individual to take advantage of it.

if i was a young guy at the club i would be doing everything fyfe is doing. i hope he is happy to pass on the knowledge to the other lads.

i remember i had a physio that worked with the eagles, the selwood chap (the one that left for geelong) didnt understand why he couldnt kick the footy more than 30 metres, she told me he only cared about having big arms and rarely did any leg work even though he was given a program by the club. this isnt having a go at the eagles... :p it just shows that even if you're given all the info its still up to the individual to take advantage of it.

And that was the guy they made acting co-captain.

They've really been blessed with some great leaders lately.

Pretty low key session this morning.

Nat was pumping out the laps at good pace after doing his work with the rehab guys. Grey and Silvagni also were running hard and looked in good nick physically. Other members of the rehab group were Clancee, Apeness, Balic, Yarran and possibly another couple I may have missed. Harley Bennell was working one on one doing run through's with a trainer and obviously isn;t 100% at the moment but didn't seem too bad.

The main session included most of the squad working in 3 or 4 smaller groups and again was based around foot skills, quick hands and goal kicking along with some ball movement later on. Sam P-S looked really good as a young guy with sharp hands and neat foot skills. Also watched Morabito closely and agree he is moving freely and enjoying himself on the track which is good to see.

If anybody has any questions about any other players I will attempt to answer them but as stated it was a pretty quiet session today.
Has Zarke showed his face?

genetics play a pretty big role, but i dont think fyfe has been genetically graced :) with building size (look at him when he first joined the club), i just think he had an image in his mind that he wanted to achieve and went all out to reach it. he understood that with his height if he built strong legs/back he would be able to literally walk through people. you have the afl players that focus on building their arms and shoulders and then you have the guys that build strong physiques.
The first bold part is contradictory. The second, if true, I hope he doesn't do as it would attract unwanted attention and possible criminal proceedings.

As for the thrust of the argument, its nonsense. Your ultimate physical capabilities are entirely genetically determined. Since they execute controlled diets and have people overseeing their weight training, the differences between any player, some slacking off notwithstanding, are natural.

The first bold part is contradictory. The second, if true, I hope he doesn't do as it would attract unwanted attention and possible criminal proceedings.

As for the thrust of the argument, its nonsense. Your ultimate physical capabilities are entirely genetically determined. Since they execute controlled diets and have people overseeing their weight training, the differences between any player, some slacking off notwithstanding, are natural.

There could be a thread devoted to debating whether this is strictly true or not (like entire days at conferences are). All depends on whether you believe epigenetic phenomena are entirely hereditary or not

You are completely disregarding environmental factors? Don't deny genetics plays a role but think it's simplistic to assume a person's limits are based purely on them. And also oversimplifying "slacking off" as well as state of mind often separates the weak from the strong. IMO there are countless variables that determine a person's physical and intellectual capabilities. Suspect what they have been doing for 17-18 years before being drafted might have a pretty significant impact. Is Mora's rehab just as much a mental thing as a physiological thing. Although perhaps the pre-season thread isn't the best place for a debate on such matters :)

I must be bored but I've just had a browse through the Eagles board looking at their TTHD and honestly I couldn't find a genuine training report in the 22 pages of crap that they have.
Compared to the insightful reports that we get I really do feel sorry for the unfortunate buggers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back