Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

At training now, only here for another 10 or so as I have a meeting in the area

Low key day, seems most will be inside at the gym or due to come out later

Maybe 5-10 out with some agility work, clancee thighs pumping out the laps, and a small group doing a few skills exercises

Wish I had an awesome write up but short n sweet!

At training now, only here for another 10 or so as I have a meeting in the area

Low key day, seems most will be inside at the gym or due to come out later

Maybe 5-10 out with some agility work, clancee thighs pumping out the laps, and a small group doing a few skills exercises

Wish I had an awesome write up but short n sweet!
I think you will find that it is probably the Rehab group as they trained last Thursday as well. They are on a different schedule as indicated by Brady Grey yesterday and he is in the rehab group coming off a shoulder op.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training report Fri, 11th Dec.

Today was a warm one. The squad was energetic and looked in good spirits.

Training was mostly based around in close handball and kicking skills broken up into forwards, mids and backs. This has been a typical training session with the different line coaches in charge.

I won't go on and tell you how impressed I am with Weller, Blakely and Langdon as I feel like a broken down record. Or how Tanner looks stronger and how his skills have improved significantly.

Some of the elder statesmen weren't training. The most dynamic trainer was Walters particularly towards the end during the kicking to space for the players to run into. Sometimes Freo hit targets on the outer flanks to centre it and other times directly through the middle as in end to end transition.

IMO Mayne and deBoer need to hit targets. I have seriously trained and played with better kicks at amateur level. Sure deBoer can run 3km time trails well and he puts pressure on the opposition ball carrier but his skills under minimal pressure is unacceptable. Ballas unlike one poster who said he looks really fit, for me looks underdone. He may have been unwell because I noticed him coughing during training last Friday.

They still haven't started full on match sims and Ross has given the line coaches a large amount of autonomy. I'd presume the full match sims that give a clear view of the difference in ability levels for the onlooker will start after the new year break. Ross may want to mix it up a bit so it's not the same thing each season.

I find it a bit hard to report more detailed player reports as its been basic skills training.

Last edited:

Training was mostly based around in close handball and kicking skills broken up into forwards, mids and backs. This has been a typical training session with the different line coaches in charge.

I won't go on and tell you how impressed I am with Weller, Blakely and Langdon as I feel like a broken down record. Or how Tanner looks stronger and how his skills have improved significantly.

Some of the elder statesmen weren't training. The most dynamic trainer was Walters particularly towards the end during the kicking to space for the players to run into. Sometimes Freo hit targets on the outer flanks to centre it and other times directly through the middle as in end to end transition.

IMO Mayne and deBoer need to hit targets. I have seriously trained and played with better kicks at amateur level. Sure deBoer can run 3km time trails well and he puts pressure on the opposition ball carrier but his skills under minimal pressure is unacceptable. Ballas unlike one poster who said he looks really fit, for me looks underdone. He may have been unwell because I noticed him coughing during training last Friday.

They still haven't started full on match sims and Ross has given the line coaches a large amount of autonomy. I'd presume the full match sims that give a clear view of the difference in ability levels for the onlooker will start after the new year break. Ross may want to mix it up a bit so it's not the same thing each season.

I find it a bit hard to report more detailed player reports as its been basic skills training.

Bennell out there training??

Ballantyne spent most of Wednesday's session pumping out laps.
I get the feeling this year is being a bit more individually tailored.

Ballantyne spent most of Wednesday's session pumping out laps.
I get the feeling this year is being a bit more individually tailored.

Yes it is very individually tailored. I still don't think but like I said I could be wrong look as got as what he has been in previous years.

Not that I'm overly concerned because he needs to kick goals not rotate through the mid field.

Always been excited by Tanner, thought he was really good in the Port game last year

Yes it is very individually tailored. I still don't think but like I said I could be wrong look as got as what he has been in previous years.

Not that I'm overly concerned because he needs to kick goals not rotate through the mid field.
Been drinking again JMT? I read that 5 times and it still doesn't make sense

I agree.
They are training pretty much every day and the group looks different at each session. Ballas seems to have focussed on running this week and I reckon he will be at the S&C session tomorrow, which is all they do.
Bennell spent all last sat morning in the gym while Yarran and Fyfe were running.
I don't believe Yarran has been running this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back