Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Mayne and deBoer need to hit targets. I have seriously trained and played with better kicks at amateur level. Sure deBoer can run 3km time trails well and he puts pressure on the opposition ball carrier but his skills under minimal pressure is unacceptable.
Yeah i'm not too worried about it. Mayne is fighting with Yarran for a spot and deBoer is fighting Bennell as mid/forward, all the other young blokes through the middle and our backline is pretty full.
nyOyzsX.png

Yeah i'm not too worried about it. Mayne is fighting with Yarran for a spot and deBoer is fighting Bennell as mid/forward, all the other young blokes through the middle and our backline is pretty full.
nyOyzsX.png
This doesn't sound like a very fair fight

Don't know why so many people have this view. We need to improve our goal ledger. Ignore Fyfe or Bennell coming into the equation, we need to have 5 actual forward spots who can kick at least 25-30 goals each, with some kicking 40-50. Maybe if Apeness or Taberner show a big improvement, that is where the extra goals come from. But that is highly unlikely. In my opinion, we keep the 30-35 from Mayne, and add a further 30-35 from Yarran. Replacing Mayne with Yarran is not going to make much difference to our side.

Don't know why so many people have this view. We need to improve our goal ledger. Ignore Fyfe or Bennell coming into the equation, we need to have 5 actual forward spots who can kick at least 25-30 goals each, with some kicking 40-50. Maybe if Apeness or Taberner show a big improvement, that is where the extra goals come from. But that is highly unlikely. In my opinion, we keep the 30-35 from Mayne, and add a further 30-35 from Yarran. Replacing Mayne with Yarran is not going to make much difference to our side.

Walters, Ballas, Pav, resting ruck, Yarran or Mayne, mid rotating through and extra KPF.

There is no space for both for the games Pav plays.

Yarran's a medium forward and he's better at kicking goals. Is there room for both in the forward line? If you've got Pav, Walters, Ballantyne, Bennell on a flank (sorry, i'm not ignoring him), one of our talls (Tabs/Ape/whoever else) at FF/CHF and at times a resting ruck, it's already looking pretty full on.

I love Mayne but it's been two years of average goalkicking form (numbers, forget accuracy). He's kicked 41 goals in the last two years. If you think our forward line doesn't need to change, i'm not sure what to tell you. Hope this doesn't come across as too harsh, there needs to be some kind of pub talk emote to show my blend of shrugging and slurring to convey this.

Yarran's a medium forward and he's better at kicking goals. Is there room for both in the forward line? If you've got Pav, Walters, Ballantyne, Bennell on a flank (sorry, i'm not ignoring him), one of our talls (Tabs/Ape/whoever else) at FF/CHF and at times a resting ruck, it's already looking pretty full on.

I love Mayne but it's been two years of average goalkicking form (numbers, forget accuracy). He's kicked 41 goals in the last two years. If you think our forward line doesn't need to change, i'm not sure what to tell you. Hope this doesn't come across as too harsh, there needs to be some kind of pub talk emote to show my blend of shrugging and slurring to convey this.
I think the argument though is why have Tabs/whoever in the forward line if they can't take a contested grab and aren't kicking goals? And likewise why have any forward in the team that isn't kicking goals? So if Pav, Walters, Ballas, Mayne, Tabs, Crozier aren't why should any of them keep their spot? I just don't understand why Mayne is seen as the obvious choice to throw out of the team. Based on last year's form he'd be third in line (behind Walters and Pav). I hope Ballantyne gets back to his best form but until that happens he is behind. And the other forwards hardly kicked any goals last year (except Griffin, who I want to have a cracker in 2016 - such an impressive person!).

If anything I'd have Yarran taking Tabs spot (especially with Griffin in the team). It would be a short forward line but at least they can all take a grab (or crumb) and kick goals regularly. Walters, Pav, Mayne, Ballantyne and Yarran if he is fit enough and earns his spot. Then rotate through Griffin and Bennell/Fyfe. Any tall forward that comes in has to be kicking close to 2 a game next year otherwise why bother? The small and medium forwards get a little more slack so long as they are providing other value like defensive pressure etc which in 2015 Mayne led the group for. Why would we give up our best defensive forward from last year, who is versatile enough to play other roles, and who also was our third best goal scorer when we are trying to score more? I get that some fans don't rate him but it's an illogical assumption that he'll be making way for someone else unless he has a terrible pre-season or someone else has a cracker.

I went down and watched training today. As per normal on Saturday predominately a running session with some skills work.

The good news is that Harley Bennell was out running with the rehab group and slowly jogging repeat 100's. Not extending himself, but definitely pushing towards returning to main training. No bandage on his calf, which is definitely a good sign. The only real rehab group is Silvagni, Apeness, Yarran, Fyfe, Clarke and Bennell. DeLuca, Suban, C.Pearce, Balic, Sutcliffe and Grey have not joined in full training yet, but all must be really close as they were pumping out the laps. There was no sign of all of the first year players apart from the two in the rehab group. (yarran and Balic) also missing were Pav and Sandy. Tucker might of come out at the end of the session from the gym to do some kicking skills work. (hard to tell the difference between him and De Leuca from distance).

Neale is seriously pumping out the laps and looking a ton fitter than this time a year ago. In some sprint work at the start of the session he looked exceptional and he was also running with the elite group when completing laps. Sutcliffe was also not training this time a year ago. He looks super fit and I have high hopes he will return to conisistenly being an aggressive distrubutor off half back like he was in 2014. Getting super fit in the preseason is massive in terms of player confidence levels entering a season IMO.

Hurley looked super impressive in some short kicking drills. I really think he will be a significant player for Peel this year and for the Freo team in a year or two. The improvement in his kicking technique is noteworthy.

Mayne, Balla, Barlow and Griffin all look to be really fit and firing in terms of running loads. As others have said Barlow has looked noticeable leaner than a year ago, but the same could be said of Mayne.

It is very difficult to comment on too much when it is mainly a running session, but I hope Ive provided some useful information. Cheers.

Last edited:
I went down and watched training today. As per normal on Saturday predominately a running session with some skills work.

The good news is that Harley Bennell was out running with the rehab group and slowly jogging repeat 100's. Not extending himself, but definitely pushing towards returning to main training. No bandage on his calf, which is definitely a good sign. The only real rehab group is Silvagni, Apeness, Yarran, Fyfe, Clarke and Bennell. DeLuca, Suban, C.Pearce, Balic, Sutcliffe and Grey have not joined in full training yet, but all must be really close as they were pumping out the laps. There was no sign of all of the first year players apart from the two in the rehab group. (yarran and Balic) also missing were Pav and Sandy. Tucker might of come out at the end of the session from the gym to do some kicking skills work. (hard to tell the difference between him and De Leuca from distance).

Neale is seriously pumping out the laps and looking a ton fitter than this time a year ago. In some sprint work at the start of the session he looked exceptional and he was also running with the elite group when completing laps. Sutcliffe was also not training this time a year ago. He looks super fit and I have high hopes he will return to conisistenly being an aggressive distrubutor off half back like he was in 2014. Getting super fit in the preseason is massive in terms of player confidence levels entering a season IMO.

Hurley looked super impressive in some short kicking drills. I really think he will be a significant player for Peel this year and for the Freo team in a year or two. The improvement in his kicking technique is noteworthy.

Mayne, Balla, Barlow and Griffin all look to be really fit and firing in terms of running loads. As others have said Barlow has looked noticeable leaner than a year ago, but the same could be said of Mayne.

It is very difficult to comment on too much when it is mainly a running session, but I hope Ive provided some useful information. Cheers.

I've noticed a few times now that the training reporters have commented on Hurley's kicking and how fit he's looking, but then follow it up by saying he'll have a good year for Peel and then push into the Freo team next year. What's stopping him from being ready this year? Just general understanding of the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tucker might of come out at the end of the session from the gym to do some kicking skills work. (hard to tell the difference between him and De Leuca from distance).

Hopefully we'll see a difference in their kicking styles though. DeLuca has one of the more awkward actions at the club from what I've seen.

Hopefully we'll see a difference in their kicking styles though. DeLuca has one of the more awkward actions at the club from what I've seen.
He sure does resulting in regular scrubber kicks under pressure from what I've seen for Peel. Tucker on the other hand is very neat by foot.

The rookie list is ideal for DeLuca as he show good qualities at times particularly in the forward half and nice speed.

I think the argument though is why have Tabs/whoever in the forward line if they can't take a contested grab and aren't kicking goals? And likewise why have any forward in the team that isn't kicking goals? So if Pav, Walters, Ballas, Mayne, Tabs, Crozier aren't why should any of them keep their spot? I just don't understand why Mayne is seen as the obvious choice to throw out of the team. Based on last year's form he'd be third in line (behind Walters and Pav). I hope Ballantyne gets back to his best form but until that happens he is behind. And the other forwards hardly kicked any goals last year (except Griffin, who I want to have a cracker in 2016 - such an impressive person!).

If anything I'd have Yarran taking Tabs spot (especially with Griffin in the team). It would be a short forward line but at least they can all take a grab (or crumb) and kick goals regularly. Walters, Pav, Mayne, Ballantyne and Yarran if he is fit enough and earns his spot. Then rotate through Griffin and Bennell/Fyfe. Any tall forward that comes in has to be kicking close to 2 a game next year otherwise why bother? The small and medium forwards get a little more slack so long as they are providing other value like defensive pressure etc which in 2015 Mayne led the group for. Why would we give up our best defensive forward from last year, who is versatile enough to play other roles, and who also was our third best goal scorer when we are trying to score more? I get that some fans don't rate him but it's an illogical assumption that he'll be making way for someone else unless he has a terrible pre-season or someone else has a cracker.
I understand what you're saying, and it is a grey area, kinda subjective thing.

My feelings are that we're talking a 27 year old medium forward averaging a goal a game over the last two years, compared with a 22 year old 198cm tall forward averaging a goal a game last year. Getting games into him while winning is an absolute luxury (think back to early this season), helping his development. Mind you, it doesn't necessarily have to be him, but my gut says we should have one young developing tall forward in the 22.

Sorry if this is a minor derail, it's not intended, just wanted to cover it off. Thanks so much everyone for the training reports, it's an absolute treat to read and keep up with what's going on.

I understand what you're saying, and it is a grey area, kinda subjective thing.

My feelings are that we're talking a 27 year old medium forward averaging a goal a game over the last two years, compared with a 22 year old 198cm tall forward averaging a goal a game last year. Getting games into him while winning is an absolute luxury (think back to early this season), helping his development. Mind you, it doesn't necessarily have to be him, but my gut says we should have one young developing tall forward in the 22.

Sorry if this is a minor derail, it's not intended, just wanted to cover it off. Thanks so much everyone for the training reports, it's an absolute treat to read and keep up with what's going on.
I do agree with this. I think we are a little bit at the crossroads. Do we give our young forwards some much needed experience and let them grow knowing that the result may mean our scoreboard pressure may be even worse? Or do we play the team that we know has the greatest chance of delivering the result each game at the expense of AFL game time for our youngsters? RTB is fairly infamous for the latter, and with his win ratio it is hard to argue but when it comes to finals time (and beyond) does having relatively shallower depth ultimately disadvantage the team? I'm not sure we need to win at all costs next season personally and therefore think we should rotate our B22 more (manage our whole player group across the season). But Ross has a much smarter football brain than I, so I'll be supporting whichever direction he goes in. Regardless, I still think tweaking the game strategy is more important than tweaking the personnel.

Just being the devil's advocate here but what is a defensive forward and who plays it at Hawthorn , Sydney, Port, Geelong, wc , North, Richmond and Bulldogs ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back